NVIDIA Announces New Ray Tracing Overdrive Mode for Cyberpunk 2077

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Sep 23, 2022.

1. Kool64

Kool64 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070
    they could barely get the "next gen" console patch out so how are we to believe this let alone the absurdity of the "next gen claim"

2. MonstroMart

MonstroMart Maha Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 Red Dragon
    I would not be surprised if nVidia paid for this development and even sent a small team to help. I bet most multiplatform games will continue to focus on the lowest common denominator which is consoles and will continue to provide half assed ray tracing like Resident Evil Village.

Valken, Picolete, Spets and 1 other person like this.
  3. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    Yes, and it looks terribad.

mohiuddin likes this.
  4. pharma

pharma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX 1080
    Nothing wrong with that since all IHV's seem to do it. I agree Resident Evil Village ray tracing was subpar but may have had to do with the partnership they had with AMD. As long as water down ray tracing disasters like Godfall are a thing of the past I'm all for it.

5. MonstroMart

MonstroMart Maha Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 Red Dragon
    My point was not that it is wrong. It obviously is not. More that it wont be the norm. Consoles have dictated the trend in PC gaming for a loonnggg while now and i don't see it coming to an end. There's a few companies still focusing on PC gaming and pushing it to its limit but the sad reality is most multiplatform games (i.e. most games) cater to consoles. Gfx are obviously better on PC but it is not pushing the hardware to its limit and often deliver subpar performance because of a lack of optimization. Resident Evil Village is a great example but there's many other examples (pretty much all of EA and Ubi repertoire). Don't get me wrong Village is a great game i liked it a lot and the gfx are good but the ray tracing 100% cater to consoles and was not optimized/improved for PC.

6. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    to most people if you you cant see the diffrence or it looks worse, then traditional method then it not worth it special when hit on performance is so dramatic. RT is still tech be pushed before it really ready to me it like AO not ready yet, when it look on par or BETTER then traditinal method and has minimal effect on performance THEN is ready till then normal methods cant and wont be removed, right now the only true benefit atlest to me is it make the game footprint/size smaller.

As for cp2077 I dont really think it great looking game there time it look amazing other time i question it look I think for most part texture look flat and ugly followed by time it look amazing, then again i sure that has alot to do with it be open world game like those time a npc suicided off build and looking at ps one textures

7. Reddoguk

Reddoguk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090 GB GamingOC
    If you ask me i'd say Nvidia will never get DLSS 3.0 to look good. I mean it'll look good but if you look closer we'll see some artifacts showing up.

Nvidia can keep it's fake every other frame 4000 series if that's how they get this performance uplift. Again with dlss 3 nvidia is using AI to guess what next frame to display and while that'll work i believe there will always be blur and artifacts from it.

100fps is just 50 real frames and 50 fake frames which i really don't like the sound of.

8. Krizby

Krizby Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4090 TUF
    Optimization is basically just lower graphical details that you are not gonna notice for higher framerates, there is nothing special about it.

DF has done lots of optimization guides where once graphic settings are set to be the same as XBoneX/PS5, the result is PC with similar spec (2070S/5700XT) would have the same FPS as XBoneX/PS5 anyways.

What has been done to RE8 is not optimization, it was just plain sponsorship where settings are artificially capped (RT Reflections are capped to 1/4 resolution) in order not to make AMD rx6000 look bad when gamers enable RT. On Nvidia sponsored games like CP2077, players can optimize RT settings to fit their respective hardware (actual settings, not just ON/OFF like RE8).

Last edited: Sep 23, 2022
    Venix, Maddness and pharma like this.
  9. Venix

Venix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4070 super
    Yeah kinda, for example nobody needs a 4k texture and a 50k vertices mug asset . I am pretty sure the same mug on a scene will look identical lowered to 1k vertices and a 1024 texture, and suddenly the render cost for the mug is bellow 1/20 and the only way you can tell they changed the mug is by inspecting the mug closely. But is not just the assets in in house game engines especially optimisation in the code can be a key , memory management cleaning properly with out memory leak and much much more are key! For example when bannerlord came out the memory leaking was making the game crash a lot they kept patching and patching and as far I am aware that issue is long gone .
    Now what I wanted to add is dumping down the amount of vertices and doing it right is not an 1 button task especially on rigged models it can take roughly even as much time it took to make the high poly asset ,kind of the reason why so many devs skip so much of it sadly.

Krizby likes this.
  10. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050

Valken likes this.

11. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    yah.. they did the same with quake that over 2 decades old too... it might light look better sure, it bound to look better then the original baked in textures, bound to have same peformance hits too like Quake RTX did card that did well over 600 fps suddenly barely able to do 60 fps,

there isnt a night day difference with RT in current game use current methods most the normal method look better then RT method with huge performance hit. Original Deus ex could look nice with above applied, then again if orginal Deus Ex was remade with current standards using and RT most wont see much diffrence other then in the performance hits

When this can be done without this huge performance hit and is actual equal or better to CURRENT standard is only time my opinion will change. comparing current RTX standards to 20 years old baked in standards is not valid comparison too me, but above can make those old game look good, but then so can modding in which you will probably have baked in textures that look just as good.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2022
  12. TLD LARS

TLD LARS Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD 6900XT
    Cyberpunk 2077 actually baked in lighting into the existing non raytracing rendering.
    When I bought my 6900xt I activated Raytracing on highest settings and laughed at the headlights on the car not casting shadows when the lights was hitting objects.
    ½ year later now I started replaying the game and now the headlights cast shadows with and without Raytracing activated.
    So I totally agree that a fair bit of "Raytracing effects" could be done in normal rendering.

Silva and Picolete like this.
  13. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    No, it create extra frames by degrading things that "you can't see"...
    And they sell that as a fantastic evolution, despite it is the oposite.

Problem: some can still see the degradation... (BTW, it is the same with AMD equivalent).

14. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    On pre-sale it is already more :) lol

15. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    A bit more time i think...
    But realistic view about actual "gaming" RT...

16. geogan

geogan Maha Guru

GPU:
    4080 Gaming OC
    Didn't notice they added a benchmark mode in 1.5 patch Handy to compare different hardware...

But... I found the implementation of settings on the Cyberpunk (v1.6) settings page is buggy... I was getting the same numbers no matter what preset I picked ie. same for Raytracing Low, Medium, High.

It seems if you change the settings you have to click the Apply button at bottom, otherwise the settings do not take, even though the benchmark run will show the new preset name.

Problem is the Apply button does not always appear when you change settings. You have to fiddle a few settings until Apply button appears, and then go back and pick the preset.

eg. I ran Low preset, then ran Ultra preset, and could see that it was still showing Low quality settings, and got exact same results... then I re-ran Ultra after enabling the Apply button and clicking and it then did correct Ultra results.

Please fix this cdprojektred! The Apply button should appear any time the Preset is changed.

Also if we could also keep DLSS disabled while running the presets it would be much better - right now, DLSS could be changing resolution so not comparing like with like.

I can't wait to see some 40x0 results here...

Last edited: Sep 24, 2022
  17. Gouranga

Gouranga New Member

GPU:
    Radeon RX 5600XT 6g
  18. Dimitrios1983

Dimitrios1983 Master Guru

GPU:
    RX580
    In a way you can say RT is the Crysis for GPU's.......................... Still.

19. Picolete

Picolete Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Pulse 6800
    The most important thing about game raytracing(from my point of view) is to make game development easier and cheaper, reducing the amount of "artists" needed to bake lighting in textures and the need of coding extra effects for things like car lights

20. Irenicus

Irenicus Master Guru

GPU:
    1070Ti OC
    Then you have extremely bad eyesight.

My gf who is not a gamer and has quite bad eyesight can see a massive difference (as do I) when I turn on RTX. She even went as far as to point out what seemed to look better (lighting, reflections, shadows etc) -

and no, we are not years away, it's already here.

Maddness likes this.