In Cyberpunk 2077, the GeForce RTX 4090 runs at up to 2850 MHz at stock inside 50C temperatures

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Sep 23, 2022.

1. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    You don't have to buy a product to know whether there was a poor design choice. Case in point - the other article posted today:
    https://www.guru3d.com/news-story/z...-adapter-can-connect-disconnect-30x-only.html
    The thing is, such design choices can prevent people from buying the GPU. What if your PC needs more than just a single PCIe slot? What if you wanted to do an ITX build? What if you planned to do a pre-built PC for someone and the weight of this honking heatsink just breaks out of the PCIe slot? What if you don't want to burn $50 (rough guess) on just the heatsink alone when you know you're going to replace it with a water block? You can have the full power of a 4090 without something so comically large.
    Got screenshots?
    And I was speaking generally, where there are plenty of games that let you choose many different levels or even different types of AA. Some yield better results than others. Some drain performance a lot more than others.

barbacot and Valken like this.
  2. iicycube

iicycube Member

GPU:
    Nvidia 3080TI OC
    Lol nvidia keep using cyberpunk2077 as the main testing subject due to the game itself still very unstable by it core coding.

Meathelix1 likes this.
  3. barbacot

barbacot Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 SuprimX
    Exactly my case..I admit, the temperatures are impressive but I can't buy an air cooled 4090 because I need those slots - I must buy an water block and add it to my loop like I did with my 3080.
    I see that EK already has them for founders edition but the price is almost100 euro more than the one for my strix 3080, ouch!

Last edited: Sep 23, 2022
    TheDigitalJedi likes this.
  4. Maddness

Maddness Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080 Aorus Xtreme
    I'd say because it's probably the most demanding game out at this point in time. I know it's the game I want to see most in reviews.

TheDigitalJedi, Dragam1337 and Embra like this.

5. Embra

Embra Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Red Devil 6950 XT
    Like the new age Crysis?

6. Embra

Embra Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Red Devil 6950 XT
    I still need to buy this game, though I fear I may get stuck in building a bunch of characters in the creator..... haha.

7. TheDigitalJedi

TheDigitalJedi Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2X ASUS TUF 4090 OC
    No problem fellow Guru. I thought you were referencing the difference between the 3090 and the 4090. :) As Dragam1337 stated this is from my rig. This game is gorgeous and it needs the right hardware to display and run with ease. I can't wait until the 4090 is released. I want to run this with DLSS on quality, max settings at 60 or above. We'll see. :D

8. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    It new the crysis it also gona replace the meme too

9. TheDigitalJedi

TheDigitalJedi Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2X ASUS TUF 4090 OC
    :p Showoff!!!

Listen you ole goat.
    Those awesome PQ settings mate? You're gonna cough them up. No questions! No debating! No Negotiating! Either your gonna get down or your gonna lay down. No need to push up virtual daisies when ya don't have to. The choice is yours. Now let me feel the fiber of that Cyberpunk fabric. :cool:

Ya got 24 hours!

Maddness likes this.
  10. southamptonfc

southamptonfc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 OC
    It doesn't say whether that's a closed system or a test bench, can make a big difference with this level of TDP.

The huge heatsinks on these cards are likely there to handle 5-600W.

Being able to increase power limit by 50%, wow.... I think if I got one, I would probably not increase the power limit much, if at all, probably :)

TheDigitalJedi likes this.

11. kill007

kill007 Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 4090 TUF
    Erm....so instead we are happy with 5 slot solutions like the gigabyte one lol.

12. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    never existed.

13. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    Eh, yeah they did... i had several of them from nvidia... 680, 295... hot'n'loud.

Undying and cucaulay malkin like this.
  14. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    Lol :p

On that specific shot, it's 4k max settings, dlss performance, no ingame sharpening, nvidia sharpen+ 10%, configfile : DistanceBoost = 30.000000

Maddness and TheDigitalJedi like this.
  15. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    wasn't 5 years ago.

16. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    cucaulay malkin likes this.
  17. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    Your arguments contradict themselfs... if you are watercooling it, all your other arguments are null. And if you dont intend to watercool, then any smart person knows that top end gpu's are bound to have large coolers to stay cool.

Ofc.

[​IMG]

And that used to be the case, but not today - 95% of games today offer TAA, and that's it.

18. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    a blower that can keep a chip 75c at 55%, not 84c at 90%.

19. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    Eh, no - a blower that runs the chip at 84c and 41 db.

Aka hot'n'loud.

20. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    Ah sorry, here's some extra straws for you to grasp at. They're even paper!:
    [​IMG]
    Seriously... how distorted is your reading comprehension? It is plainly obvious my point was that any one of those things by themselves would be a problem for how big these heatsinks are. So no, there's no contradiction. It doesn't take a "smart person" to know that if this tops at 50C or even 60C, there is a lot more headroom for higher temperatures. So, why not shrink the heatsink a whole slot and keep the fan speeds the same? You lose no performance, suffer no additional noise, pay less for a cheaper heatsink, have more build possibilities, and reduce the risk of damaging components in transportation. Ever thought of that, genius?
    But like I said earlier, Cyberpunk isn't exactly a well-optimized game. Perhaps other games will push the GPU hotter. If that's the case, why couldn't use an AIO, where you still get all the oodles of power but you're not inconvenienced by a giant heatsink?

Also, the point of the screenshot was to show a side-by-side comparison to prove whether it has any value. Looking at a single scaled-down screenshot means nothing.

Meathelix1 likes this.