ZOTAC Mentions that ATX 12VHPWR Adapter can Connect-Disconnect 30x only

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Sep 22, 2022.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. k3vst3r

k3vst3r Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KP3090
    Yeah Steve mentioned Nvidia did extensive testing of 8 pin to 12 pin adaptors an major fail points was 40 connect/disconnects and excessive bending of the cables, caused the cable to catch fire an burn peaking at 200c + on thermal camera at the failed point.

3. BenchAndGames

BenchAndGames Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 4070 Ti
    It is definitely something very serious and would have to be considered. I personally will be far from these adapters in case I buy a GPU with the new 16 pin connector, I would better buy a new ATX 3.0 power supply

4. Odarnok

Odarnok Active Member

GPU:
    32 GB DDR3 2133 MHz
    These adapters are intrinsically illegal.
    If you use one of them and you have a house fire... all insurance companies will laugh before your face

5. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    its not like the 8 pin microfits have much better.

"without context that's not necessarily a useful piece of information. Mini-fit plus connectors (similar to PCIe power) only are rated to 75 cycles on an entry-level connector."

Last edited: Sep 22, 2022
  6. Reddoguk

Reddoguk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090 GB GamingOC
    If the pin layout is on top of the gfx card like most are then there's no way you could bend that 4-1 cable tight enough to hide the 4 x 8 pins around the back of the case.

This is why i would need a new PSU cause i really don't like the look of that 4-1 cable.

30 cycles should be plenty, in 18 months i've only pulled the gfx card out once and that was a few weeks ago to check if it needed cleaning but only the back plate was dusty.

There's no way you could bend that cable near the 1 plug so that means you'd have to bend near the middle and the 4x8 will be seen inside the case. :(

7. kakiharaFRS

kakiharaFRS Master Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 RTX 3090
    O_O ok I guess I'll wait one of those new psus with 1200+watts not like I was going to buy a 4090 I wait 7950x more than that as single thread limited games are still a thing

8. NCC1701D

NCC1701D Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 FE
    Will until someone gets a house fire before 30 disconnects and the lawsuits start coming in. Bet they'll put a little more thought/money into the adapter design.

9. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    If the adapter is so hazardous, it's quite clear it hasn't gone through any inspections, probably not even on the computer screen before manufacturing. Some fake engineer just put it together and everybody said: "This is fine."

schmidtbag likes this.
  10. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    lol no.

the value is how many insertions before metal fatigue introduces measurable contact issues, and only relevant to forceful application.

11. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Good luck finding one, they're not exactly easy to come by.

nVidia could hardly base their sales projections on 4000-series adopters also buying new ATX 3.0 PSUs.

12. Catspaw

Catspaw Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 1080/8GB
    Hard pass for any GPUs that have that connector.
    its like outfitting a bugatti car with tricycle wheels. (But still charge you the full bugatti car price and more).

13. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    Yeah, there is no f*cking way im gonna use the adapter - it's a disaster waiting to happen.