EVGA Terminates NVIDIA Partnership, Cites Disrespectful Treatment

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by PhazDelta, Sep 16, 2022.

1. k3vst3r

k3vst3r Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KP3090
    Actually Evga told Steve PSU are 300% more profitable for them versus graphic cards.

2. geogan

geogan Maha Guru

GPU:
    4080 Gaming OC
    I don't think there is such a thing. There was an episode of Family Guy where Stewie wanted to know the answer to something quickly in an emergency and found a teen youtuber video about it and they had it dead on - the guy was straight into "lets get started on this.... but first like, subscribe, check out my store..., comment below... " went on and on... never getting to the point... and then it was back to Stewie who was now learning how to play guitar on another channel instead of his original emergency question while Brian was waiting on him for original answer... and of course the guitar learning channel also was "lets get started on this.... but first like, subscribe, check out my store..."

3. rflair

rflair Don Coleus Staff Member

GPU:
    5700XT
    Or most likely Nvidia had their next product (GPU chip) upcoming and reduced production of their own cards so they wouldn't be left with any on hand and instead let the AIB absorb the last of the old stock. It would be the wise move.

Embra likes this.
  4. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    The problem is that apparently Nvidia is limiting the margins of their partners at the same time they are raising their onw margins.

This means that Nvidia is not against AIBs selling their cards at crazy prices, they are against their partners having higher margins because this means less money for Nvidia...

Not to mention that the reason why GPUs have crazy prices is because Nvidia has been increasing their prices with each generation!

AIBs may be greedy but Nvidia is much worse...

And in the end, this situation is only good for Nvidia, while their partners and customers are being milked...

Picolete, Ivrogne, Mufflore and 2 others like this.

5. geogan

geogan Maha Guru

GPU:
    4080 Gaming OC
    And don't forget Tesla also told them to take a running jump and decided to make their own car driving hardware. Must be reason for that too.

Fediuld likes this.
  6. barbacot

barbacot Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 SuprimX
    It could and maybe EVGA wanted preferential treatment because of their solid, exclusive, long time partnership with Nvidia and when Nvidia refused "the lack of respect entered the chat"....

But who can blame Nvidia??? It's a business that must generate profit after all.

It would be interesting to know if partners in order to cut losses will make these "new " RTX 3XXX cards with lower quality components than the ones sold during the mining fever...

7. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    Not forgetting the huge display screen slapped in the middle of the dash so the driver can watch movies.

8. barbacot

barbacot Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 SuprimX
    So what? It has an autopilot remember? Each Tesla autopilot system contains a small vial of Elon Musk sweat that acts like a magic ingredient. What could go wrong?

9. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    Nothing can go wrong, it's all going according to plan.

10. AuerX

AuerX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Militech Apogee
    It could be argued that was a blessing in disguise for Nvidia.

11. TimmyP

TimmyP Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    Called this over a half decade ago.

Evga nvidia 400-700 series were very cheaply manufactured cards. Paper thin fans, crappy aluminum... If you would have went to a Microcenter and compared an Evga to any other card (exactly what EVGA didnt want you to do) you would have found the MSI, ASUS, even Gigabyte cards all weighed about 5 pounds more from copper, cooling, and just overall better quality engineering. Bragging about a good warranty in the face of cards that dont have to go in for service is stupid.

12. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Then they tried to make up for the wasted money on tactile plastics by shirking the component costs, and 1080tis's, 2080ti's and 3090's exploded as a result.

13. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    It's also weird they said they don't want to team with AMD, because they want to stay loyal to Nvidia...

Something fishy is going on.

Maddness and Fediuld like this.
  14. pharma

pharma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX 1080
    EVGA and NVIDIA To Split: EVGA Won’t Make Next-Gen NVIDIA Cards (anandtech.com)

15. mackintosh

mackintosh Maha Guru

GPU:
    3DFx's failure had nothing to do with them making their own cards and everything with Nvidia eclipsing them in performance. The day my Riva TNT2 Ultra matched my V2 SLI in Quake II was the end of 3DFx for me and countless others. Then GF256 came along and killed them off.

Maddness and Solfaur like this.

16. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    A smart, but also douchy move towards a "partner".

17. pimp_gimp

pimp_gimp Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super SLI
    It's actually the fourth company to cease partnership with Nvidia. The "original" company Visiontek sold Nvidia cards. Then folded in part because of Nvidia. Former employees created BFG. Visiontek came back many years later and started producing AMD cards.

chispy, carnivore and Fediuld like this.
  18. kakarot

kakarot Maha Guru

GPU:
    pny rtx 4090
    It's a shame, I always like evga video cards. Maybe now they focus more on their already excellent motherboards

19. tunejunky

tunejunky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx/7900xt

yes i heard that and with their Taiwanese facilities believe it, but the selling of PSUs are a longer term item with no real generational changes only evolutionary change. PSUs are sold as appliances more than anything else in the IT marketplace.
    so, fewer sales for longer terms. which does not equal the cashflow of selling 80% of the rest of their line at tighter margin. so the profitability of (EVGA) PSUs is higher but they bring in far less money so they have an outsized margin on the rest of their line. but make no mistake, EVGA wouldn't be in the GPU business at all if it wasn't profitable, and their entire business was centered on it. so in real terms it's not an illusion, but it is a distraction.

the true fact of the matter is no matter what else, EVGA being private has clouded the true P/L of each part of their business.
    that said, it should be a given that they've earned enough and played currency games to aid it enough to finally tell Nvidia FU.

the point i will be going on about with shareholders is exactly Jens pipedream of vertical integration...which OBTW is illegal in sunny Santa Clara, CA, USA.
    as a vendor (lower on the hog) to Nvidia for 15 years my company isn't affected like EVGA or AIB, but i must say the arrogance stays the same. and everyone i work with is eager for their business. and to be totally honest, many times i've made a point of pride of it. but they are to us as a client is to a dry cleaners...some are good to chat to and others aren't.

no i will be on the undercutting of their own partners.
    i will also make the point that it's the AIB cards that set the records and that AIBs should be able to sell FE cards without impacting Nvidia's own sales. the reality is most AIB customers want the extra cooling solutions, the higher clocks, and the tuning software, but they don't have a choice because of the limited distribution of the FE cards (which results in wacky price swings in the FE for w/c enthusiasts).

TheDigitalJedi likes this.
  20. cucaulay malkin

cucaulay malkin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AD102/Navi21
    because they're not using superflower anymore, they're using fsp.
    quality went down, but they kept the prices.
    really, guys, as much as this is nvidia's fault, we're not losing a lot as pc enthusiasts.
    if they lost msi or asus, now that would be an absolute disaster.
    evga's quality is probably same tier as palit/gainward/pny -without the exploding vrm part on the side of these three - but at premium price.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2022
    Fediuld likes this.