Multiplane overlay issues

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Demiser, May 22, 2022.

1. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    No, it's not. DSC is not supported on LG OLEDs.

upload_2022-9-12_18-44-56.png

Mda400 likes this.
  2. aufkrawall2

aufkrawall2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT Hellhound
    Astyanax once gain spreading misinformation. Is there any evidence at all that MPO is enabled with Nvidia and any 10 bit display/output?

Btw: Intel Gemini Lake gen 9.5 GPU reports 3 planes and it seems there are no video playback stutter issues with mpv, unlike on Nvidia...

3. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    could be unavailable on windows 10 then, the users talking about having it were on 11.

4. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    I'm on 11.

5. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    you're on 22000?

6. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Yeah.

There are a couple of things I can think of which can theoretically have an effect on my C1 connection leading to MPO not working with 10 bits but checking them out is too much of a hassle for me. I'll just say that it doesn't work here.

7. aufkrawall2

aufkrawall2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT Hellhound
    Same with 1440p 120Hz display via DP, number of planes is 1 with 10bit vs. 4 with 8 bit. Apparently there is no such thing as MPO with 10 bit, at least not with the Nvidia driver...

8. Mda400

Mda400 Maha Guru

GPU:
    4070Ti 3GHz/24GHz
    Since not all applications support 10bpc color, but all must support at least 8bpc color starting with Windows 8 that would make sense.

9. DaRkL3AD3R

DaRkL3AD3R Active Member

GPU:
    RTX 4090 FE
    I literally cannot get MPOs benefits whatsoever and it's driving me nuts. I have a 4090, DXDiag shows 4 max planes, 8 bit monitor. I've tried disabling all display scaling, I've disabled DSR, I've tried multiple configurations with v-sync on or off, application setting, etc. Nothing I do can get an app to elevate to MPO. Not even DX12 games that should benefit from it out the gates. The second a volume overlay appears over a game, VRR temporarily disengages with a stutter and reengages when the overlay fully disappears again causing a stutter. What am I doing wrong? How are people out there getting these benefits and I'm not? Any explanations would be greatly appreciated.

10. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    the volume overlay is not a surface that can be elevated to a hardware plane.

11. DaRkL3AD3R

DaRkL3AD3R Active Member

GPU:
    RTX 4090 FE
    I realize that, the game running in fullscreen however is and I've seen videos of people recording their monitors, showing VRR stays engaged while adjusting volume and observing the overlay appear over the game. This is the benefit of MPOs, and yet now that I have them with my 4090 I cannot get this to play out this way. It's operating exactly the same as it did on my 1080 Ti. Why is that?

12. Cave Waverider

Cave Waverider Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 4090 TUF
    Which version of Windows are you running, exactly?
    Also, do you have Gsync enabled for Full Screen and Windowed Mode or just Full Screen and do you have the Windows VRR toggle for UWP apps enabled or disabled?

13. maffle

maffle Member

GPU:
    gtx970
    Cave Waverider likes this.
  14. DaRkL3AD3R

DaRkL3AD3R Active Member

GPU:
    RTX 4090 FE
    Windows 11 21H2 build 22000.1098
    I have tried both Fullscreen alone and Fullscreen + Windowed, same thing happens in both. And yes Windows VRR toggle is on.

Cave Waverider likes this.
  15. Cave Waverider

Cave Waverider Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 4090 TUF
    Hm. 22H2 has a different, new volume overlay compared to 21H2. Perhaps that will work better for you. But maybe not.

16. DaRkL3AD3R

DaRkL3AD3R Active Member

GPU:
    RTX 4090 FE
    The problem is I know people had had this MPO benefit VRR already even on Windows 10. I don't understand why it won't engage properly for me right now. I doubt the 22H2 volume overlay would change anything. It's all down to the MPOs not working at all. It's so weird.

**Update**
    I found the videosthe guy posted months ago proving that MPOs allow a game to continue VRR syncing even when it isn't the foreground selected app, and even with overlays appearing on top of it:

How the hell? Why can't my games run with MPOs on this 4090? Makes no sense.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2022
  17. DaRkL3AD3R

DaRkL3AD3R Active Member

GPU:
    RTX 4090 FE
    Ok I'm an idiot. I had apparently ran the MPO disable registry file Nvidia provides, and forgot about it. Now I ran the restore reg file and it's working.
    Only thing I haven't figured out is how this guy in the above video is able to select a different application altogether and continue on syncing to the game. The second I click off the game, it stops syncing.

18. X7007

X7007 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC 4090 EXT AMP
  19. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    its a benefit but not the core reason it exists.

20. DAOWAce

DAOWAce Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    EDIT: MPO's require Windows 10 v2004 (20H1) or higher. I was on 1909 (by choice due to usability issues). Now that I'm on 2004, I just want to revert back, especially since MPOs require 8bit mode, and are causing some weird issues, notably with my browser (which v2004 itself causes issues with too).

OP below
    --

I'm in the same boat as you with your earlier posts here but.. even re-enabling MPO didn't, well, enable MPO. Don't have weird NVCP features enabled (like NIS), set monitor to 8bit, previous card was a 1080 Ti... Just nothing I do is changing anything, it's behaving exactly as it was on my previous card.

Windows 10 though. I'd rather move to Linux than be forced into swallowing W11.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2023