MSI compares the X570 and X670 motherboards: build quality has significantly improved.

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Sep 12, 2022.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. asturur

asturur Maha Guru

GPU:
    Geforce Gtx 1080TI
    They are trying to sell it as high as possible.
    Most of the people that do DIY builds wants to play a game, want the cpu to be well fed, and don't care about all the other bullshit.

All the other that care for usbc connections 8k bandwith are a very narrow edge case or buy a mac to do most of the same things in portable mode.

mohiuddin and chispy like this.
  3. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    Bs excuses to justify the higher prices of motherboards...

4. mackintosh

mackintosh Maha Guru

GPU:
    Content creators (which is a fairly large market now) do care about some of these things, but this is all marketing bs anyway. They're seeing the recession and they're scrambling to justify these ridiculous prices. Show us the BOM. I bet the price is only a smidgen over what it cost them to make X570 boards.

AsiJu and Meathelix1 like this.

5. Valken

Valken Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Forsa 1060 3GB Temp GPU
    So the previously over expensive boards are now even MOAR expensive because of reasons...

mohiuddin likes this.
  6. geogan

geogan Maha Guru

GPU:
    4080 Gaming OC
    "to those who want the best"

Ah sales and marketing... hacking the male brain since forever.

Remember people... the 3090 and above HAD to be 2K because "reasons", costs... but they can now still sell the same things for 1K and still make profit... so that tells you... they were previously riding you sideways and taking over 1K profit per item previously.

Seems to be same in all male consumer electronics spaces.... in projector world Sony wants €6K for its bottom of the range 4k projector now... or €16K for the only higher model available - which adds nothing much more than motorized zoom/focus and a slightly better lens - I guarantee these additions added €2K to BOM price at most - so the extra €8K is just pure extra profit... and can guarantee the €6K bottom model costs no more to make than the previous 1080P version which only cost €2K (only difference is the three 1080P panels changed to 4K imaging chips).

mohiuddin likes this.
  7. Prince Valiant

Prince Valiant Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 ti
    Multiple "up to" lines; that's exactly what I love to see for expensive products :rolleyes:

If only. I'd like to see actual sales numbers for GPUs too.

8. Zeka

Zeka Active Member

GPU:
    PowerColor R9 280
    I'm not buying it until it's 10 layer concrete slab, which can double as a house foundation. That's build quality. These boards couldn't even hold my body weight, weak.

Also, in addition to delivering power to the CPU and some peripherals, it should be able to power other house appliances like the fridge, stove, water cooker etc.

AsiJu, Prince Valiant and waltc3 like this.
  9. TLD LARS

TLD LARS Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD 6900XT
    Who needs 24 phases at 105 amps each?
    Even running them at 30 amps each is still 720W in total, Ryzen has until now not scaled well at anything near that kind of power, even a Threadripper pro 64 core would need a fairly high overclock to hit that in cinebench.

Agonist and waltc3 like this.
  10. waltc3

waltc3 Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 50th Ann 5700XT
    Sounds like a clever (?) way to justify the increase in price above their x570 mboards. My x570 Aorus master has 8 layers, IIRC, ostensibly to properly support PCIe4 universally--GPU and .M2 storage, etc. It cost, and still costs, ~$340 brand new. If I want 10G Ethernet I'll buy it separately. And so on...I've never liked mboards that try and cram in the kitchen sink, and especially like 6-8 more power phases than I will probably ever need, and so on. Here I am with it chugging away > three years after I bought and installed it! Only problems I ever had were bios problems in the first six-nine months of ownership, the normal teething problems with brand-new stuff--had a problem with a miswired Club3d (It was the very first DP 1.4 monitor cable on Amazon!) DP1.4 monitor cable that resulted in dead-motherboard syndrome--which could be completely reversed by popping the CMOS battery for 15 minutes or more, and replacing it. Happened 3 times, but as soon as I replaced the cable with a Vesa-certified DP 1.4 cable, the problems never returned! (I read a blurb on the Vesa site which said that one of the problems of a misconfigured DP 1.4 cable could be a non-booting system, so I tried it, although I had some trouble relating a bad monitor cable to non-booting faux-dead motherboard syndrome. It was the last thing I tried (of course it was the *last thing*!--couldn't have been the first thing!) and it worked. The lesson I learned--I had believed that if a monitor cable displayed properly than it could not be defectively wired--man, was that notion ever wrong...! Logical, but nonetheless wrong.

If AMD could hold the line on its Zen5 CPU pricing as it has done, then why couldn't motherboard makers try the same with their motherboards? These all-in-one mboards are really sort of poorly designed. But some of them don't give you enough...like the EVGA x570 with only two DIMM slots for ram...too many power phases, and a price that I thought was too high for what you got. But this is just my opinion--which happens to mirror Zeka's (above) to a certain extent!

Zen5 CPUs will still be shipping at 65W and 105W...as well as 170WTDP/230WSP. But anyway I will likely be hanging on to my x570 A Master with 4x8GB 3733MHz DIMMs, 3900X, 6900XT, and too many internal drives to count--well, not really--I'll say that all of my SATA 3 ports are filled and two out my 3 M2. ports, as well. I game at 4k, and don't really use any resolution lower than that for anything. So...it's likely to be some time before sinking my teeth into a Zen 5 setup--including the mboard, the DDR5 ram, and of course the CPU--which is what it will take.

Agonist likes this.

11. Agonist

Agonist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900xtx Black
    MSI is drunk, money drunk.
    Crazy to think my X399 Taichi was only $399.
    And they are asking these kinda BS prices for their crap boards. images.jpeg

Maddness likes this.
  12. cucaulay malkin

cucaulay malkin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AD102/Navi21
    lol, a $400 board that supported 8 cpus altogether,half of which were refreshes.

13. undorich

undorich Active Member

GPU:
    Geforce Palit 1080
    seems to be 'production' line, no use/need for gamers. ddr5 nice gimme, not useful, pcie5 nice gimme but no usecase for gamers, but very good for pcie hard drivers, and tons of connections availible. 14 usb ? wow! jayz was wondering about the 2nd pcie slot. just hopp into an ausus bios and see the config page for setting up the pcie devices. there will be more to it in the future i guess. dont we reach ddr4 ram speeds, close too, in pcie5 already ? merge ram and hdd into one device and give it L1 cache speeds and petabyte sizes and we are happy for the moment ^^
    HYPER-M-2-X16-GEN-4-CARD, lets see what pcie 5,6,7 will bring us in terms of hdd/ram connectivity, one side ram, other side hdd ? connect them physicly also, maybe ?

Last edited: Sep 13, 2022
  14. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 3090 FE
    Pretty much. If I have 6 USB 3.1+ ports, enough PCI-E ports and decent VRM's I'm good to go. Though atm I do want 1 little extra and that's 2.5 Gbit Ethernet so I can transfer files quicker to my NAS.

15. FookDat

FookDat Guest

GPU:
    6950XT RD 2889/2498
    "still made in Taiwan"

16. mohiuddin

mohiuddin Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX670 4gb ll RX480 8gb
    Yeah. Image profiting more than 1and half grand per card. What a greedy world we are currently residing in.
    Most of us do not even know how much money we do need to go through our days. Greed has no limit

17. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    I had already thought my current B550 build is the last one I'll make.

When I saw prices for X670 boards, that thought was confirmed.