Does manually setting your drive's page file ever improve gaming performance?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by BlindBison, Sep 7, 2022.

1. oneoulker

oneoulker Member Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 3070
    what texture setting are you using in spider? i found NVCP framelimiter to be quite smooth, as long as you're not running into VRAM limit. and game is deceptive, it only uses a maximum of 6.4 GB with 8 GB GPUs, which makes most people believe they're not VRAM limited

i'd say ditch the vsync altogether, use only Gsync, cap the game to 60 (for experiment) through NVCP, use high textures and disable Ray Tracing. with this combo, I'm sure you must get consistently smooth performance. i know the ol' "use vsync with gsync to get the best out of it" but I believe sometimes it can cause problems in certain cases. with 60 fps limit on a 144 hz panel, even with frame doubling (LFC) you wont breach past 125+ hz hence you should not see tears without vsync and with only gsync

TheDigitalJedi and BlindBison like this.
  2. PapaJohn

PapaJohn Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus 6700XT OC 12Gb
    PEBCAK. Game is supremely smooth, completed three times in the first week at 4k with a 3080. You're always on here asking questions about this and that, stop f*ng around with windows and settings/tweaks/tinkering.

Default bios settings.

Fresh install, correct system drivers, no tweaks, set game settings and play.

3. aufkrawall2

aufkrawall2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT Hellhound
    Do you have an example for this? VRR + LFC has solved all vsync issues for me.

oneoulker and BlindBison like this.
  4. BlindBison

BlindBison Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    Thanks a lot mate, will give it a go!

5. BlindBison

BlindBison Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    Isn't this forum for exactly this kind of technical discussion? It sounds like my posts have annoyed you to some extent which is unfortunate, but I'm still gonna ask questions because I want to know more about this or that :) I'm glad that you had a great experience with your rig, but other people may not and it makes sense to share that or look for solutions, even obscure ones.

I think a lot of people are just not as sensitive to stutter as others. There are people out there that I know in real life that said they never noticed the Elden Ring stutter for example (something that just boggles my mind, but in truth they really don't notice it).

I'm the type of person that will pan the camera back and forth while tracking a distant building or object just to confirm the animation/frametimes are presented smoothly -- often they really are not even with a good G-Sync panel, at least not consistently. Some games really do get this right (DOOM Eternal / Cyberpunk / Red Dead 2) and should be commended for that. You may not be the type of person that cares about that sort of thing which is of course fine, more power to yah. Other people do though and that's fine too. Personally animation jitter/microstutter just ruins games for me. On console this interestingly is rarely an issue in my experience, but on PC this sort of thing is a lot worse on average even with good FPS limiters.

The other thing is, if you played at 4K you were almost certainly entirely GPU bound -- I'm playing at 1440p and I was mostly CPU bound and trying to find ways to mitigate that. You also have 25% more VRAM (or 50% more if you got the 12 gig version) and perhaps a beefier CPU/RAM setup which could also be relevant to a difference in experience. Per Digital Foundry's 2080S and 3900X vids, being CPU bound leads to a lot more visible microstutter.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2022
    Smough likes this.
  6. PapaJohn

PapaJohn Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus 6700XT OC 12Gb
    OK then, good luck with the pointless tinkering.

BlindBison likes this.
  7. BlindBison

BlindBison Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    Well, you are probably correct that most if not all of these questions on various tinkering here or there are pointless or placebo :p I can't deny that, but I'd still like to know how it all works better.

My intent really isn't to irritate folks, but a lot of this stuff is challenging to find good information on in my experience. Reddit for example I've found to be a pretty awful PC gaming/technical forum by comparison with a lot of pretty blatant misinformation being presented as fact. That can still happen here too, but it's a lot less of an issue on the average seems to me.

Unrelated, but for your profile picture -- between Papa Johns, Pizza Hut, Dominos, and Little Caesars, which is the best Pizza Chain in your view?

Last edited: Sep 7, 2022
  8. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Auto has a growth latency that can momentarily lock the system when more disk is assigned that does not exist if you use min/max the same on a hdd, or min/max expandable on an ssd.

upload_2022-9-8_12-23-13.png

TheDigitalJedi and BlindBison like this.
  9. BlindBison

BlindBison Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    Thanks that's helpful to know!

10. SerjRozov

SerjRozov Member Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 1080 Xtreme
    And LFC stands for?

For the topic: i had a strange ctd experience once with me:andromeda, the only thing that instantly helped was setting page file to 16384, havent changed the value ever since.

11. Cave Waverider

Cave Waverider Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 4090 TUF
    Low Framerate Compensation. Basically, it multiplies frames when the framerate falls below the actual VRR range of the monitor to get back into the VRR window so VRR can keep working even when the actual framerate of the software is below the monitor's actual VRR range. The monitor as well as the video card/driver has to support it.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2022
  12. SerjRozov

SerjRozov Member Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 1080 Xtreme
    According to some article its only relevant for gsync module or radeon software. Uh.

13. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    I used to set a fixed pagefile size on the fastest hard drive as suggested by tech sites and magazines years ago but these days I just leave it to Windows to manage it.

I have several SSDs and hard drives in my PC and did wonder though if limiting the pagefile to only the SSDs (and not the hard drives) and leaving Windows to manage the size was a better option? Not sure if Windows actually uses the hard drives for swapfiles or not when it is left on the default setting.

BlindBison likes this.
  14. =GGC=Phantomblu

=GGC=Phantomblu Member Guru

GPU:
    Radeon RX 6900XT
    In my experience I have not seen any differences and to date I leave everything as it is the original setting for the paging file. For those who have stuttering problems ask yourself if your Displayport and HDMI cables are of good quality otherwise it is useless to look elsewhere for the problem.

BlindBison likes this.
  15. aufkrawall2

aufkrawall2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT Hellhound
    It is done by the driver with every monitor of which the VRR range maximum is at least 2x refresh rate of the VRR range minimum (Edit: When a monitor has Gsync module, it does that instead.). It gets rid of annoying broken triple buffering issues with vsync. An example for this would be Diablo 2 Resurrected.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2022
    BlindBison likes this.

16. SerjRozov

SerjRozov Member Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 1080 Xtreme
    Meaning every 144hz monitor is capable since iirc lower bound of vrr is 48hz?

17. Cryio

Cryio Master Guru

GPU:
    Nitro+ 7900 XTX
    I have 32 GB RAM and I used the free AMD software that can allocate up to 4 GB of your ram as a ramdisk. I set my page file to that ramdisk of 4 GB.

I can't say I notice an improvement or a regression in anything whatsoever.

BlindBison likes this.
  18. BlindBison

BlindBison Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    That’s a really good idea — never thought of that. I would “expect” it would help if games needed to go onto the page file, but then again I thought games don’t need to do that usually unless they consume all the available RAM?

19. Cryio

Cryio Master Guru

GPU:
    Nitro+ 7900 XTX
    All I know is that I have tons of RAM. I never reach 16 GB in my personal usage. So say that Windows decided that for whatever reason, an app needs to hit the pagefile. The pagefile being in RAM means the fastest possible access ever, so nothing ever slows down.

Or that's how I interpret it anyway.

20. teots

teots Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660 super
    32gb ram, my page file is off to improve loading time and prolong storage life span.
    No problem for me.