Nvidia and AMD are warning about new US export limits to Russia and China on AI chips

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Sep 1, 2022.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. mackintosh

mackintosh Maha Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia is getting hammered. Down 11% last time I looked. Couple this with a predicted slowdown in GPU sales and they're looking at a very bad second half, if not an entire year.

3. Camaxide

Camaxide Active Member

GPU:
    MSI 1080 Ti Gaming X SLI
    I'm not so sure.. first: ai generated material is jyst up and coming and taking off.. there is simply not enough gpus for it.. second: the new 40 series is looking good, and ai, gamers, miners and producers will all want in on it.. third: even with mining currently low, there is only a matter of time until the next upswing, and even if eth will go away by then, there are plenty other ones that do almost as good. Very short term there may be a drop, but look 2-3 years and it will likely be booming again

4. pharma

pharma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX 1080

New U.S. Rule Could ‘Impair’ China’s AI Progress - EETimes

5. Valken

Valken Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Forsa 1060 3GB Temp GPU
    Nvidia stock gonna tank further with no new crypto windfall on top of this... I think AMD's impact will be less tho with the upcoming new CPU/GPU lineup for blue chip business....

6. cucaulay malkin

cucaulay malkin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AD102/Navi21
    they just need to refocus on providing cards for gamers, workstations and data centers.

7. fellix

fellix Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 4080
    While Nvidia is well established in the HPC/AI markets, upcoming competitors are developing highly customized and more efficient solutions. Tesla, for example, already moved to their own R&D CPUs and DPUs, and many other hyperscaler clients are looking at custom in-house designs stitched from various IP blocks.
    The PC market alone is nowhere near enough for Nvidia already and the meager presence in the console sector (Switch, Shield) is just a drop in the bucket. Unlike AMD, Nvidia doesn't have CPU/SoC solutions strong enough to expand into other markets. The ARM arena is already super competitive and saturated with offerings throughout the entire possible spectrum and, of course, the x86 is a walled garden off the menu.

8. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    I'm not sure what the revenue split between servers / pro cards and gaming parts with Nvidia is, but iirc, their gaming revenue drops for less than the server parts earned more in the last quarter.
    Honestly, I think the gaming cards are there to pay for R&D, while the server market is the real cash cow for Nvidia.