RTX 3080 Problem with Triple High-res High-refresh Display Setup

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by THEAST, Sep 3, 2022.

1. THEAST

THEAST Guest

GPU:
    GTX 3080
    Hi all,

I recently upgraded to an ASUS ROG Strix RTX 3080 OC 12 GB (ROG-STRIX-RTX3080-O12G-GAMING) thanks to the recent price drops but this is not playing very ell with my triple-display setup and I am trying to figure out if anyone has a similar setup and could confirm if this is an ASUS-specific issue or people with GPUs from other AIBs have the same problems.

Display setup:
    - Monitor: 2x Lenovo Legion Y27q-20 connected via DP 1.4 and running at 2K/165Hz/HDR/GSync
    - TV: 1x LG C1 OLED 65” connected via HDMI 2.1 and running at 4K/120Hz/HDR/GSync

Problem 1:
    The GPU memory clock (but not the core clock) gets stuck at 3D level (9500 MHz) as long as I have all three displays connected, but goes down to idle the moment I disconnect any of them (doesn't matter which). Only way I have managed to get it to go to idle with all three displays connected was to run the displays at very low refresh rates. Here is a table summarizing some of the configurations I have tried (HDR and GSync enabled in all cases):

upload_2022-9-3_2-5-55.png

I fail to see how such a powerful GPU cannot drive three displays without running the memory at 3D clocks, burning 150 Watts of power for no reason along the way. I spent over a month going back and forth with ASUS's support, but ended up giving up since they failed to even understand that this is not an issue related to the particular unit I have received, but a firmware issue. I am sure they can very easily correct this with a GPU BIOS update, but I don't expect that to ever happen. Now, the question is, is this an ASUS-specific issue or GPUs from other AIBs have the same problem?

Problem 2:
    When I have all three displays connected, I would want to keep the TV off unless I need it. What happens here is that with the TV turned off, if my other two monitors go to sleep or I put my machine on sleep, then when I wake it up, I won't get any video output on any of my monitors until I turn the TV on. This is 100% reproducible and certainly didn't happen on my previous GPU (GTX 1080) with the exact same setup, so this looks like to be an issue with the new GPU or its firmware/driver, as well. Has anyone run into a similar issue with the Nvidia RTX GPUs?

P.S. All standard troubleshooting steps such as removing all monitors from registry, clean installing the driver and so on have already been carried out but the behavior remains exactly the same. I am fairly positive neither of these issues are specific to my setup.

2. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    neither nvidia or amd handle mixed timing high refresh clock management well.

3. southamptonfc

southamptonfc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 OC
    You can set the 2D clock speeds in Afterburner. Maybe that would work?

4. THEAST

THEAST Guest

GPU:
    GTX 3080
    That is one of the points I considered but even when I set all my displays to 120 Hz, the memory clock still won't go to idle, while a mix of 75 Hz, 60 Hz and 30 Hz (first row in the table) works. This particular case seems to be bandwidth problem rather than a problem with mixing different refresh rates.

I used that functionality on one of my older GPUs (don't remember if it was the GTX 1080 or the AMD 7900 I used before that), but switching from 2D to 3D clocks always resulted in very apparent glitches on all of my displays. I haven't tried that on my current setup, but it could be considered as last resort.

5. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    thats because only 2 of these displays's have a shared timing at 120hz, TV's rarely if ever use reduced blanking timings.