Windows gpu driver malfunction help

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Moonburn, Aug 29, 2022.

1. Moonburn

Moonburn Guest

GPU:
    My secondary OS is W10 LTSB(1607), so I can't load nvidia drivers to run my 3080 12g ftw3. This OS only needs basic desktop and video playback gpu functionality, but Windows drivers can't seem to quite manage.
    One monitor (1440p/165hz) is connected to dp, the second (1080p/60hz) to hdmi. As long as the dp main monitor is connected the second on hdmi isn't detected. Unplug dp and the hdmi one works fine. I can't seem to change the refresh rate of the dp monitor either, as I'm aware that might be the problem, and for some inexplicable reason it's set to the only option which is 64hz??
    Ideas please.

2. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    LTSB is intended for enterprise customers and uses VLK servicing, you have no business using it.

386SX likes this.
  3. Moonburn

Moonburn Guest

GPU:
    Cuz Microsoft's intentions are in our best interests?

4. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    @Moonburn

Question is which drivers are used for GPU in that Windows?

5. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    I don't care about your interests, 1607 is inferior to latest in many aspects.

6. Moonburn

Moonburn Guest

GPU:
    The ever loving Microsoft Basic Display Adapter, 10.0.14393.0 dated 6/21/2006 (how right?). There are no available updates and this OS is "sposed to be" supported until 2026...

7. Moonburn

Moonburn Guest

GPU:
    Well you should care about my and your own interests. LTSB is superior to all succeeding versions in several aspects, which is why it's my SECONDARY OS that fulfills specific purpose - a few of which should appeal to any thinking person, including but not limited to;
    - No ads, annoying intrusions or bloatware
    - Minimal and more easily neutralized telemetry
    - No aggravating unwanted changes nor crippling update issues as a forced update testing guinea pig before the polished minimal product is pushed to enterprise clients.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2022
  8. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
  9. AntiSnipe

AntiSnipe Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon RX 6600
    Go F yourself Mr. OS Police. Seriously. Sick of hearing you whine and bitch about everything other people choose to do/use.

Back on topic. To my knowledge, the vastly superior LTSB 1607 is not supported by any newer Nvidia drivers, and older drivers won't support your 30x0 card. So I guess mod drivers, or bite the bullet and use LTSC 21H2. Sadly, I had to do just that to avoid the driver/support sabotaging on my GTX 1660s too.

Smough and Mr_ALLroy like this.
  10. Moonburn

Moonburn Guest

GPU:
    I didn't mean to get so preachy, that dude just took it negative immediately

AntiSnipe likes this.

11. I would ask on MyDigitalLife, BetaArchive, or a mining forum; the usuals here likely won't help with either LTSB/C nor getting older drivers to work on it.

I'm not familiar with this and have no suggestions, but I would think LTSC 1809 or 21H2 would have better compatibility for drivers. Does 1607 have to be your secondary OS?

12. winning.exe

winning.exe Member

GPU:
    Nvidia
    A tip from a user who runs Windows Server 2022 for desktop / home use: Server 2016, 2019, and 2022 all have the LTSB benefits of no ads, no bloatware, ability to postpone updates at your discretion, and so on :cool:.

Windows Server is really the last “adult” version of Windows, as even Windows 10 for Workstations, Education, and Enterprise have some amount of the Candy Crush and widget garbage preinstalled. Best of all, you can get Server licenses for free from Microsoft (legally!) if you know what you’re doing. My Server 2022 Datacenter license would be worth >$25,000 if Microsoft didn’t give it to me for free :eek:.

Nvidia doesn’t provide GeForce cards with Windows Server drivers but there are plenty of ways around this limitation. You can just extract the driver and install it manually through device manager, for example.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2022
  13. rflair

rflair Don Coleus Staff Member

GPU:
    5700XT
    I did the same, upgrade to LTSC 21H2 though I wasn't as far back as 1607.
    Don't' worry about people bitching, I find it to be the best version of Windows 10, when they do a Windows 11 Enterprise LTSC I'll upgrade to that.
    Modded drivers won't work/install 1607.

Moonburn and AntiSnipe like this.
  14. Moonburn

Moonburn Guest

GPU:
    Thanks I'll check those out. LTSB can't be changed out atm. I read something about copying the files from a completed install on a different OS and trying to use those. Possible or fools errand?

15. Moonburn

Moonburn Guest

GPU:
    I had originally started with LTSC, but choose to build with B in the end. Microsoft accidentally released some good work with that one. We'll just have to see if I run out of patience before I find a workaround.

16. Moonburn

Moonburn Guest

GPU:
    For sure looking into that! Is it also minimal telemetry? I imagine no companies want Microsoft streaming data from their servers.

17. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    Not seeing anything negative and he is right too, private users have no business using it, he is just stating the obvious what ever one like it or not is a different matter.
    I can see why someone would use LTSB except when it comes to online gaming and even needing some online features in general, a stripped down RTM release can do a better job for the latter, no ads, annoying intrusions or bloatware, minimal telemetry and no unwanted changes or forced updates, doesn't really take a lot of effort to get it to that state, stripping down is more for removing apps and unneeded features besides disabling everything that is there for local server purpose.
    You should rather be concerned around minimizing attack surface than MS snooping into stuff, even LTSB needs some manual work there besides the devices connected to the outside world.

18. Smough

Smough Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660
    He is insane, don't worry.

Moonburn likes this.
  19. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    you're free to use whatever you like on the desktop, so long as you legally have a right to it.

there is no 1607 LTSC available to end users outside of business contracts, and an IT department wouldn't let someone authenticate a home install with their VLK servicing anyway without it being a administratively deployed install on a loaner machine.

20. Smough

Smough Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660
    When SWAT team for using 1607 LTSC? I use that sometimes, damn, guess I don't have the LEGAL right to use it, I am such a criminal. Heh.