Sony Increases prices of PlayStation 5: in the EU a 50-euro price hike has been announced.

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Aug 26, 2022.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Loobyluggs likes this.
  2. GlassGR

GlassGR Member Guru

GPU:
    AMD rx 6650
    in Greece
    cheapest available ps5 w optical + controller ->640 e
    cheapest available x box x w optical + controller -> 520 e
    waiting for the price hike!

3. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    With their 2.5% inflation in Japan (and less than 2.1% in China where it's made) I jest they're only war profiting.

Horus-Anhur likes this.
  4. Horus-Anhur

Horus-Anhur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 XT
    The console is still being made in N7, which is not cutting edge.
    There is no longer a chip shortage as demand from mining and work from home died off.
    Prices for several components have gone down, for example nand and memory.
    Asia is getting a lot of oil and gas at a discount from Russia. China and India are benefiting a lot from this.
    Just a few months ago, Sony announced that the PS5 with Disc was already profitable.
    There isn´t really a reason to increase prices, except for greed.

At least MS already confirmed they are not increasing the price for the Series X. And it seems they plan a discount for the Series S.

Kaarme and Pryme like this.

5. Pryme

Pryme Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800 SWFT
    Precisely, makes no sense this price hike. But even today is almost impossible to find a PS5 close to the original price.

6. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    I still don't recall seeing PS5 anywhere in stock. Back in the day with the previous generations when you visited a big supermarket, PC hardware store, or general electronics store, there would be a pile of the consoles for any customer to pick up and buy at leisure. With PS5, even webstores are boasting zero stock, this long after the release. Isn't this reason enough to raise the price? When demand is seemingly infinite and supply very finite (for whatever reason), things tend to get more expensive. Just like the miners made graphics cards worth their weight in digital gold.

7. RavenMaster

RavenMaster Maha Guru

GPU:
    1x RTX 3080 FE
    LOL dream on Sony, your console ain't that special :rolleyes:

8. Silva

Silva Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual RX580 O4G
    Tell that to all the shops out of stock. A new batch comes in *poff* gone.
    They're always out of stock and can't make enough to keep demand, its just logical to profit from an opportunity.
    PS: If I bought a console, I'd go xbox. So this only make the Microsoft offer stronger.

Keitosha likes this.
  9. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    Are scalpers not buying them any more the moment they appear and selling them at much higher prices?

10. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    If PC parts can get a price hike why not consoles, right?

11. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    True but here in Portugal i can`t find one in stock!

If i want one my only chance is to buy a bundle of the console with HW, GT7, a second controller and another freebie for almost 900€...

Silva likes this.
  12. Ivrogne

Ivrogne Master Guru

GPU:
    a GPU
    Just like Nvidia and AMD did, right? I'm afraid Sony probably going to face the same consequences as the other two.

13. TalentX

TalentX Master Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX4090 AIO
    I don't think the PS5 is worth any investment anyway. This console was kinda rushed in my opinion and it still has quite the problems with heat conductivity and the controllers have issues too.

Besides, while I am not that much following the situation in the gaming industry for a while, I still receive Sony's newsletters and just recently they sent me a mail about a re-release of The Last of Us Part 1, that was already available twice for the PS4 (initial launch, and the deluxe re-release). And now they advertise for the PS5 with another Re-Releases for the third time of the same game that was released two times before. I am not sure where this is going, but I bet this isn't the first time happening. Look at Final Fantasy for example...

I mentioned this here once, two years ago or so, and I got backfired for doing so, but I don't mind to say it again. Looking to their "exclusives", they're also getting released on Windows more often lately, and even on Nintendo too!... And I am saying it again, feel free to backfire as much as you want, but I am telling you they will release more exclusives on other platforms in the future. PS5 "exclusives" will remain only timed exclusives for the most part.
    I guess they're doing this to compete with Microsoft, since MS is doing his Xbox/Windows compatibility thing, which makes sense for Sony, but it makes less sense to increase the price of the PS5.

I don't think that they have any valid, justifiable, reason to increase its consoles price. They're just doing this because they also want to benefit from the current political and economic situation.

~AngusHades~ likes this.
  14. Pryme

Pryme Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800 SWFT
    Supposedly you can get that pack 720€ now on one of our biggest retaillers, and receive at maximum of 1 September..., but almost 2 years latter when it launched and still far from the sugested 500€ retail price. But yes, for longer time 900€ the minimum price only for the console, and always out of stock almost a year.

15. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    Well Sony may has done the UK a favour seeing as todays utility prices rise was 80%, that now puts tarrifs now at the .52p pkw, that is now £40 a month for 4 hours a day ps5 usage with or course your monthly standing charge, which will be fine as long as you do not wash, heat, eat, clean, use any lights, or charge anything through that same month.

Scary times indeed.

16. Embra

Embra Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Red Devil 6950 XT
    Making more $$$ is always justifiable to a company.

17. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    BBC news in the UK said last night the cost will increase by £30.
    Do they know something we dont about the exchange rate taking a dump in the EU or is the £ going sky high?!

They also said Nintendo price will remain the same.

18. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    I literally got my ps5 delivered (directly from Sony, in case anyone asks) two days ago.

Sony emailed me, as I requested them place my PSN account on a priority listing - and lol and behold, after nearly an ENTIRE YEAR, they put a console aside for me to claim...thanks Sony :)

I got ♥ for them right now, bumping up price just before giving me mine.

I have to "LOL" at this news piece. :cool:

19. ratzuk

ratzuk Member

GPU:
    Inno3d 980
    Up to a 5% increase ?

449 up to 549... isnt that 10%

20. SpajdrEX

SpajdrEX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gainward RTX 4070
    It's 22%