96-core AMD Epyc Genoa CPU spotted

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Aug 12, 2022.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    AMD will release Zen 4-based Epyc server processors and Ryzen 7000 CPUs rather sooner than later. A Twitter user (YuuKi AnS,) shared a photograph of the Epyc 9654, which is a 96-core Genoa CPU with a ...

96-core AMD Epyc Genoa CPU spotted

GSDragoon likes this.
  2. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    At first I was a bit surprised by the wattage, until I realized that's 3.75W per core, or 1.875W per thread. That's actually really impressive, when you consider a 5950X max TDP is 8.875W per core.

Horus-Anhur, tunejunky and barbacot like this.
  3. Kool64

Kool64 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070
    that's a butt load of cores

4. Borys

Borys Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Gaming X
    Poor Intel... what they should do counter the Ryzen 7XXX series?!?!

5. Ivrogne

Ivrogne Master Guru

GPU:
    a GPU
    With LOTS of e-cores!

Jokes aside, I think they'll be fine, especially in gaming.

Horus-Anhur, tunejunky and Silva like this.
  6. barbacot

barbacot Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 SuprimX
    Now that's a piece of silicon awesomeness!

tunejunky likes this.
  7. reix2x

reix2x Master Guru

GPU:
    HIS 4870 1GB
    yeah probably Intel will be fine in the gaming sector, but in workstation and server they need products to compete with monsters like this, they are still selling overpriced xeon cpus like hot cakes but that wont happen forever unless they innovate with monster CPUs too

tunejunky likes this.
  8. tunejunky

tunejunky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx/7900xt
    one of the reasons Google went with 100% AMD utilization in the server stacks is because of their "Green"
    initiative of carbon neutrality.

it's far easier running a server farm off of a solar plant with a demand for under 4 watts/core or 2 watts/thread.

and this is a reason made more compelling by scale. and when you're on the scale of Google or AWS all you can do is think, "wait a minute..more capable, faster operating, far more energy efficient, costs less, ans will save me millions of dollars in energy usage." - DONE

tsunami231 and Agonist like this.
  9. SplashDown

SplashDown Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 980ti Classy
    Ya , that's a monster ain't it.

Undying likes this.
  10. Agonist

Agonist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900xtx Black
    Just 10 years ago, you had to run dual cpus just to reach 24 threads.....
    I love it. Ryzen really has brought the computer world out of the dark ages.

Undying and tunejunky like this.

11. msroadkill612

msroadkill612 Active Member

GPU:
    igp
    On what basis will they be fine in ANY segment post zen4 & once amd's supply improves?
    These results clearly show they are behind on every metric in every segment & market.

Even the last gen amd am4 based 5800x3d trumps intel's (probably loss making) Alder Lake bid for gaming supremacy, let alone against imminent Zen4.

intel has only been selling in the booming server space due to the absence of amd product - the desperate have had no choice but xeon.

12. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    Huh? That's not true.
    There were 16-core Opterons in 2011, with multi-socket support (I know quad socket was available in 2012, not sure about 2011).
    In 2011, Intel had 10c/20t CPUs, also with up to quad socket support.
    Since we're talking servers, back in 2010, IBM's POWER7 had single CPUs with 8c/32t. They could even reach 4.25GHz, which was not only really high back then but absurd for servers.
    But the one to really top them all was SPARC, which in 2010 had 8c/128t.

Granted, all of the above were crap:
    SPARC was only good at very specific workloads and was really only built for Solaris, which nobody used.
    IBM's stuff was ok but way too expensive, power-hungry, and difficult to develop for at the time.
    I believe AMD's was based on Bulldozer. I don't have to explain that any further.
    Intel's was really the only decent option and as such, made them dominate the server market for nearly a decade forward. However, their chips were also seriously overpriced.

In any case, I get your point. It is amusing how (thanks to Ryzen), 32 threads is now high-end mainstream, and we're seeing single CPUs with more cores than what most servers 10 years years ago couldn't achieve in total thread count on a quad-socket motherboard. Not just that, but these beasts of CPUs are cheaper. I remember 10 years ago, Intel had CPUs sold for $20k. Hilariously, they still make such overpriced crap:
    https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/int...-ht-205w-ddr4-2666-ck/apd/338-blnz/processors

13. Agonist

Agonist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900xtx Black
    Consumer level you had to run dual xeon setups to do this. 1366 was the only cheap option. Back in 2016 I was able to buy a Supermicro dual 1366 board for $99, 24GB DDR3 1333 ECC for $35, 2 x5650s for $50, and 2 212 Evos for $50, EVGA 650 GQ bronze for $70, and had my own 24 thread plex, and game stream server.
    Not sorry but AMD Opterons were slow as hell for anything.

My 1920x was $700 brand new 5 years ago. $400 for the X399 Taichi, and $250 for 32GB quad channel 3000 DDR4.
    Granted its a much better setup with way more features, but damn it wasnt cheaper lol

I had to run dual X5650s to have 24 threads and not spend stupid amounts for a LGA 2011 setup where you could do 2x 16 thread cpus.

14. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    Is it really consumer if you're getting dual Xeon though?

Also, note my comment about the Opterons.

15. Agonist

Agonist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900xtx Black
    It is if I am just a consumer and not paying company prices. I didn't pay $1000 for each cpu.

16. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    i would love to see this kinda efficiency in desktop world