AMD video cards paired with AMD vs Intel?

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by robtorbay, Aug 9, 2022.

?

What CPU/GPU combo are you running?

1. AMD CPU and GPU

2. AMD CPU and Nvidia GPU

3. Intel CPU and AMD GPU

4. Intel CPU and Nvidia GPU

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. I went from a 3060 to a 6600 XT for a bit, and the GPU encoder was the most noticeable difference (thread). The 6600 XT was acceptable up to 90Hz (with encode quality dropping off and increasing latency notably above 72Hz@1440p), but the 3060 can max out Oculus settings for the encoder up to 120 FPS with decent bitrates at nearly 4K no problem at low latency. For VR headsets that do an encode/decode process, you want the highest resolution, bitrates, FPS, and lowest latency possible; much higher requirements than livestreaming 1080p@60FPS, and that's probably the most use GPU encoders get nowadays.

In this one scenario it's too in-your-face to ignore :p but I'm unaware of any other situation gaming-wise where GPU encoding on AMD would be any kind of an issue for most people.

2. MaCk0y

MaCk0y Maha Guru

GPU:
    4090 ICHILL BLACK
    The only game that I think is an issue with Intel CPU + AMD GPU is Wreckfest. Used to work fine 1.5 years ago but something changed either in AMD drivers or in the game. Low GPU Power utilisation. Depending on what's going on, FPS used to go up to the 120s. Now it never breaches 80FPS. GPU runs 10C cooler compared to the usual.

The other combos seems to run the game fine. Wonder how popular is Intel CPU + AMD GPU.

3. Agonist

Agonist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900xtx Black
    I have him on the ignore list. Prolly not hard to figure out the stupid crap he is saying.

4. robtorbay

robtorbay Guest

GPU:
    ASUS ROG LC 6800XT
    Some interesting things here! Thanks all for posting! Anyone here playing Destiny 2 and some real life FPS scores?

I havent benchmarked my system in a while but when its running stock I am posting around 18k with a 6800xt which I thought was fantastic!

Hope everyone is enjoying their PC!

5. pegasus1

pegasus1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 4090
    Not disagreeing as ive never owned a 3090ti so couldn't compare but was genuinely interested.
    I was gaming on a 60hz 4k 32" monitor so never noticed lows but even now i have a 144mz 32" 4k screen i dont pay enough attention to notice the difference between say 90fps and 60fps.
    I would have gone for a 3090Ti but at the time there were non available in the UK so i picked up a 6900xt, but agreed its only the very latest driver that has let me play Metro EE stable at high clocks and good RT performance without a CTD.
    I dont care about power draw or electricity costs, im single, have my own house and plenty of disposable income each month.
    With the exception of Metro EE, the other games i play most are DCS and COH2 which are constrained by ancient programming rather than GPU so again don't really notice.
    If i was buying right now, and forgetting new cards are almost here then id go for a 3090Ti but the 6900xt on these latest drivers does what i need it to do.
    As for yopu wanting the very best/fastest, agreed, this is a enthusiast forum so completely understandable.

6. illdrag0n

illdrag0n Guest

GPU:
    ASUS TUF RX6800 XT
    12600K with 6800XT here.

I did have an 8700K with 2080. This is a definate upgrade.

If there's something im missing, im not aware of it

7. robtorbay

robtorbay Guest

GPU:
    ASUS ROG LC 6800XT
    Question, what kind of FPS are you getting in games with the 12600k and the 6800xt? Are you getting any drops or anything like that or is it pretty much dead on to what you were expecting?

8. illdrag0n

illdrag0n Guest

GPU:
    ASUS TUF RX6800 XT
    Pretty much everything i expected. Runs most of my games at my 165fps limit, except for the heavy hitters on Ultra @ 1440p

Timespy gets 18200 if thats any sort of indication to you.

9. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    This driver is a filter driver, IIRC. Filter driver is used to attach some behavior to device, to provide some new specific functionality - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Filter_driver.
    So it is not essential for main functionality.
    Maybe AMD used it for some feedback from PCI bus.

10. MaCk0y

MaCk0y Maha Guru

GPU:
    4090 ICHILL BLACK
    Anyone here with Intel CPU + AMD GPU combo plays Wreckfest?

11. ATOJAR

ATOJAR Member Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750 XT Red Devi
    I have both AMD GPU and CPU, if i hover over the tooltip i get this info.
    upload_2022-9-7_16-33-14.png

Attached Files: