Random restarts with abrupt black screen

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by flexinho, May 30, 2020.

1. flexinho

flexinho Guest

GPU:
    KFA2 RTX 3060 Ti 8G
    Yeah, those random restarts drived me crazy.

Sometimes there was no reason or no indication at all. No load, no nothing. The strange thing also is that the PC worked fine for one year and then this restarts started to happen. I still want to know the exact reason.

Can a PSU degrade this fast and when it happens why it doesn't die directly and doesn'T start the PC at all. Maybe it could be because of the temperatures outside or all the integrated protections in modern PSU's that become to sinsible over time. I am still searching forums for a reason but i can't find it... :mad:

2. 386SX

386SX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD Vega64 RedDevil
    Have you tried reseating RAM? "Loose" RAM can cause all kinds of issues.

flexinho likes this.
  3. flexinho

flexinho Guest

GPU:
    KFA2 RTX 3060 Ti 8G
    I did everything...trust me! This is why i bought a new PSU without exactly knowing what the problem was. Random shutdown just often are because of the PSU. Even more when the other hardware works fine under load and didn't run hot. I just can't test PSU's because i don't have the equiepment and there are no benchmarks that test PSU's on single loads or small loadchanges or all the PSU safeties.

4. flexinho

flexinho Guest

GPU:
    KFA2 RTX 3060 Ti 8G
    Still no crashes or random restarts from from the moment I installed the new PSU on the 9th of June...

Hopefully it stays like that...

sykozis, -Tj-, DeViLzzz and 1 other person like this.

5. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    Thanks for the update!

If your previous PSU is still under warranty, you should consider to RMA it.

flexinho likes this.
  6. flexinho

flexinho Guest

GPU:
    KFA2 RTX 3060 Ti 8G
    Yes, I thought about it too. Even if I wouldn't get any money back...

I still have a look at my new PSU and wait if it still won't restart my PC for one more week. Than I am sure that it was my old PSU.

7. flexinho

flexinho Guest

GPU:
    KFA2 RTX 3060 Ti 8G
    Finally...i've got the "0" in the critical statistic for the last seven days. :D Before it was in the 60s!

Hopefully it will stay like that for a very, very long time... :)

upload_2020-6-17_20-7-22.png

AsiJu and sverek like this.
  8. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    That's good news. Glad everything is working correctly so far. Hopefully it keeps up. The only other issue I've seen cause what you've described is a faulty motherboard, but that was ruled out pages ago.

Seems your system is more stable than mine now.... I have 2 critical errors showing for last 7 days... Both Kernel-Power Pretty sure I know what's causing them though.

flexinho likes this.
  9. flexinho

flexinho Guest

GPU:
    KFA2 RTX 3060 Ti 8G
    @sykozis

Thank you mate! I really hope so too.

What is causing your kernel problems? I never will see kernel errors again...:D

10. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    You asked earlier about why 32 A and 28 A do not equate to total 60 A.

It doesn't work like that, 48 A is the per spec total and the per rail values are the maximums you can get from each rail but total is still 48 A.

Too late now but in future always buy single rail units if possible.
    Chances are your old PSU had trouble providing enough amps from one of the rails.

Single rail is always less hassle, all amps are available and basically shouldn't matter how you connect cables.

flexinho likes this.

11. TecLisTa

TecLisTa Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2070
    Finally you solved the problem changing the PSU? For those who have the same problem. Thanks

flexinho likes this.
  12. AgentF

AgentF Guest

GPU:
    RX 6700 XT / 12GB
    I am so happy for you!! While reading this thread everything you said was happening to me too... :(
    But for me it didnt help replacing the psu... im so frustrated....
    Anyways... this thread is 1 year old and all I can say is that im happy for you! :)

flexinho likes this.
  13. flexinho

flexinho Guest

GPU:
    KFA2 RTX 3060 Ti 8G
    Yes, the new PSU solved my problem. Sorry for the much, much, much too late answer. ;)

Oh man, that's so nice from you. Hopefully you also solved your problems by now. I wish you the best mate. :)

14. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Turns out I was wrong about what was causing the kernel errors, so I won't state what I thought it was.
    I'm only 3 components away from a brand new system at this point, yet my issues have only gotten worse since my last post in this thread.
    So, new processor (another 5600X), new NVMe, fresh install of Windows, new graphics card, new power supply, new network card (stupid intel nic kept disconnecting).... still get random black screens under low system utilization. Starting to wonder if CPU socket got damaged when the previous CPU got ripped out of it..... Btw, I don't recommend using Arctic MX-5 with a PGA processor... If you can't twist the CPU cooler around a lot, it will rip the processor out of the socket.

15. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    faulty motherboard.

16. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Well, motherboard and ram are all that's left from the original build....so either it's a bug in Windows 11, the motherboard is faulty or the 5600X just can't handle 4 sticks of DDR4-3200.... The problem is, I'm having a hard time convincing myself to just replace the motherboard and not replace the processor again as well.... That i5 12400F at $178 is quite temping...

Airbud likes this.
  17. flexinho

flexinho Guest

GPU:
    KFA2 RTX 3060 Ti 8G
    That's bad. I hate changing the CPU-cooler or motherboard. I try everything before i even touch those components. I would try new RAM first or try it with just two sticks.

I hope it gets solved soon. :)

Last edited: Aug 18, 2022
  18. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Ram was ruled out lastnight, shortly after making that post, when my monitor actually lost signal.... So, it's definitely hardware related. I've got a new motherboard on hand that I'll install tomorrow night. If issues persist beyond that.....I'll go ahead and replace the RAM and order an RX6750XT..... The motherboard was the only component I didn't already have a spare of on hand.... I've got so many errors in Event Viewer right now, I can't even determine where to start to fix them, so will definitely be re-installing Windows 11, yet again.....

Airbud likes this.
  19. Airbud

Airbud Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 5600XT
    Meanwhile the 2600k you gave me a long time ago is still running great!...:D

Love you brother!

20. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    I got 3 desktops and 4 laptops in the house. My desktop is the only one having issues and the only one that's been subjected to Windows 11.....maybe this is payback for installing Windows 11 on it...lol

Airbud likes this.