At Least One AIB Halts Production ARC Graphics cards - Is ARC Doomed?

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Aug 5, 2022.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. Dimitrios1983

Dimitrios1983 Master Guru

GPU:
    RX580
    INTEL needs to shine the Batman.......... ooops I mean the Jim Keller signal light from the INTEL corporate roof. Being serious though there is no reason for INTEL to fail again, they have so much money. All these years and still a disappointment.I just don't get it. All I can think of is 1.) They were aimed at miners since the drivers are a mess 2.) Raja tried to go all out which seems to be his track record. How can INTEL fail come on all the money and man power. Just wow.

Are they truly cursed?

3. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    1. is proably very close to the truth, aimed at miners.
    But don't worry, I'm pretty positive in up to 30 days we'll hear which US senators and representatives have loaded up on Intel shares / calls.

Neo Cyrus and Dimitrios1983 like this.
  4. Horus-Anhur

Horus-Anhur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 XT
    Raja outdid himself with this one :D

tunejunky, mikeysg and Silva like this.

5. Lebon30

Lebon30 Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3070Ti 8GB
    I really hope that they aren't stopping ARC. We really need a third player in the space.

Undying and Maddness like this.
  6. MegaFalloutFan

MegaFalloutFan Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX4090 24Gb
    Intel will not abandon such large project that they invested billions in development.
    They just need to fix the bugs and slowly grow up the business, it hard to start new business when you have huge established rivals, if it was back in the 90s these GPUs were out with the drivers as it is and they would fix them on the way.

7. PPC

PPC Master Guru

GPU:
    Intel had a discrete GPU in the 90's, i740, and ti was also a mess with the drivers while the hw was capable enough. It killed the GPU line then and there for intel. This is take two which is repeating exactly the same scenario.

8. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    While i'm not the targeted audience simply because i need something that works, i hope they don't back out.

Maddness and tunejunky like this.
  9. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    I wouldn't necessarily say the cards are "doomed" quite yet. Intel just needs to take things more seriously.... It's like they're using these cards as a joke on consumers. Announce a new product. Show proof that product is going to exist. Delay product repeatedly. All we're missing at this point to make it Larabee 2.0, is the final step of repurposing the cards as accelerator cards. Until Intel outright cancels the project, the cards aren't really "doomed" any more than Larabee was.

What Intel needs to do, is remove any feature from their Graphics Command Center that doesn't actually work 100% as intended. These features can be added back at a later date when they actually work. Build a second driver development team. Build a driver QA team. Then take the cards, go to game developers and figure out wtf is going wrong.

10. southamptonfc

southamptonfc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 OC
    ARC isn't ready for general release. It may never see the light of day, Intel have B & C in the pipeline. But unless they invest in the drivers, they're all doomed https://tenor.com/z1Jl.gif

11. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Take three, since larrabee was another attempt

12. PPC

PPC Master Guru

GPU:
    Was larrabee ever in production tho?

13. tunejunky

tunejunky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx/7900xt
    Intel will weather this storm.
    nobody seriously expected a great product from the first run.

but if they stick to their gpu roadmap (and don't out-source coding) the next gpu up should be substantially better. but i'm not holding my breath

14. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    There are larrabee cards, and then it was turned into a new project before ever getting the chance at releasing to the public.

15. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    As a graphics card, no. Development of Larabee shifted from attempting to make a graphics card based on P1C to making an HPC Co-Processing card based on P1C...... In reality, it was never going to be released as a graphics card. That was pretty obvious when Intel chose to use P1C as the base micro-architecture.

16. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Mi25/IGP
    It was very very close, Like pre-production stage, They had enough of them that when they cancelled the project, and repurposed it for Xeon-phi, the early developer boards sampled out were literally just larrabee cards, video outputs and all.