AMD video cards paired with AMD vs Intel?

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by robtorbay, Aug 9, 2022.

?

What CPU/GPU combo are you running?

1. AMD CPU and GPU

2. AMD CPU and Nvidia GPU

3. Intel CPU and AMD GPU

4. Intel CPU and Nvidia GPU

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. robtorbay

robtorbay Guest

GPU:
    ASUS ROG LC 6800XT
    Over the past few weeks I have been reading a lot of reviews with regards to intel CPUs vs AMD CPUs in games. Based on what I have been reading, one of the things I havent seen much on is the performances differences when you run an AMD video card with an AMD CPU vs an Intel CPU.

As someone who runs and AMD 6800XT with an AMD 5900x, I find the paring of the AMD video card with their CPU allows me to take advantage of the of their proprietary tech and from a performance perspective I find I get better benchmarks than what I am reading about online.

Has anyone seen an article or completed testing where they compare the performance benefits of paring AMD CPU and GPU vs using an Intel CPU?

Would love to see what others are finding in and around this topic!

Deleted member 282649 likes this.
  2. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    Having both AMD allows for SAM to enable

3. cucaulay malkin

cucaulay malkin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AD102/Navi21
    intel has sam support too
    yeah don't believe everything amd say there's little or no difference if we're talking equivalent cpus

4. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    [​IMG]

Agonist likes this.

5. cucaulay malkin

GPU:
    AD102/Navi21
    memes aren't facts
    and you're the one to the left actually
    trying to troll me now that you've said something that just isn't true looks exactly this way to me

6. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    You're only making the meme funnier and truer

7. cucaulay malkin

GPU:
    AD102/Navi21
    how about you make your posts factual

8. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    Because I am not going to derail the OP's thread for the sake of giving you what you want: a debate. I just wanted to have some fun, and you are goading me. So, no.

As for AMD all combo, my experience has been quite stable, and I like the SAM benefits, especially with the improvements to min FPS and 1%. Plus Intel's offerings do not interest me. And for NVIDIA, that company is very much dead to me, as I hate that company and their products and drivers. Now, if you feel like posting performance comparos of the various combos of hardware, by all means, knock yourself out.

9. pegasus1

pegasus1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 4090
    Isnt the poll based on ownership rather than performance?
    It always makes me laugh how brave and rude some people are on a forum as they believe they have complete anonymity.

Deleted member 282649 likes this.
  10. cucaulay malkin

GPU:
    AD102/Navi21
    no I just wanted to correct you on the SAM thing it works on intel just fine, so if you want to present actual amd-specific benefits now's the time
    okay but it's no reason to troll me

11. Truder

Truder Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6700XT Nitro+
    Do the AMD drivers show "SAM Enabled" on an Intel based system with rebar active?

12. How about the Pci Bus driver with AMD GPUs? Does that get installed on Intel motherboards? What does that device do exactly?

13. Can you screenshot what that looks like?

14. nizzen

nizzen Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3x3090/3060ti/2080t
    I'm running 3x Intel cpu's with nVidia gpu and 2x AMD cpu's with nVidia gpu's.

There is no AMD gpu that suits my needs yet.
    Maybe next season, but I don't hold my breath :)

15. nizzen

nizzen Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3x3090/3060ti/2080t
    I had Gigabyte 6900x extreme, and it wasn't a card for me. If you like it, it's ok :)

16. Truder

Truder Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6700XT Nitro+
    What are you CPU and Graphics scores compared to your friends? I doubt rebar is changing the score all that much, particularly in a synthetic bench, more likely cooling performance or chip quality affecting clocks.

The Rebar section is where it would be SAM with AMD CPU/GPU combination, what does the tooltip say when you hover over the "brain" icon?

RadeonSoftware_4uxOIJr3Pn.png

17. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Mi25/IGP
    I think that tool tip is simply outdated or remains for marketing purposes, for a short time it was true that rebar/sam only worked on amd systems, but there was an update to the driver and bioses provided for intel systems just a short while later, which exposed the Above 4g decoding option if it wasn't already available. Enabling this option should work on systems going as far back as skylake. AFAIK there is essentially no difference between the SAM and rebar option in the driver there could be some slight implementation differences , but the end result is the same.

edit: found this article/review from a while back , https://www.overclock3d.net/reviews..._intel_-_the_power_of_boosted_memory_access/2

18. GREGIX

GREGIX Master Guru

GPU:
    Inno3d 4090 X3
    I was running Intel NV GPUs, Intel AMD GPUs, lately AMD AMD, 5800x3d and 6800xt.
    Last combination works best for me now. :p
    Must admit went for AMD for SAM/reBAR with Intel first (9900kf+z390), and haven't seen any problems with that enabled, some gains was present tho.

19. pegasus1

pegasus1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 4090
    Im not being inflammatory but i am interested why? I mean i understand why say a car wouldnt suit somebody, MPG or maybe cant fit a bike in the back or costly to insure or run but wnat didnt a 6900xt do that you wanted? I just game and video edit and to be honest ive never noticed the kinds of differences people mention regarding things like Rebar etc etc.

20. nizzen

nizzen Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3x3090/3060ti/2080t
    - I want the fastest overall, not in just selected games. Some games have very high fps with 6900x, but 1% low in very low. Maybe lack of cache?
    "Known Issues

Stuttering may be experienced while playing Call of Duty®: Warzone™ on the Caldera map with some AMD Graphics Products such as the Radeon™ RX 6900 XT Graphics.
    " :rolleyes:

- A bit faster in games that I play, and better performance overall for me. Easy to get waterblock early in the lifespan. XOC bios early.
    - I have 3090 HOF, so it's possible to change voltage on memory and gpu :cool:
    - Better raytracing and better rendering with cuda/RTX.
    - I like and use shadowplay alot while gaming.
    - Driversupport is WAY faster than AMD. More games tend to have problems with AMD gpu's than nVidia. I don't know why. Took almost 2 years to fix slow open gl :p
    - Better selling value, due to better mining support. Noone want to buy used AMD gpu here in Norway. Atleast not for more than 50% off the first year.
    - Power is litterally free where I live, so I don't care about powerdraw :p

If you don't agree, it's ok :)

tty8k likes this.