New to AMD GPU's.

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by ATOJAR, Aug 5, 2022.

1. ATOJAR

ATOJAR Member Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750 XT Red Devi
    So as the title says im new to AMD(GPU wise)having always been Nvidia, yesterday i upgraded to a RX 6750 XT Red Devil from a GTX 1070, i have installed the latest 22.7.1 adrenalin software and enabled SAM via the BIOS, everything seems to be running great and i have over doubles my FPS in most games at 1440p even with higher settings so im very happy with my new card so far.

Is there anything i should know or do to get the best out of my new AMD GPU?

2. PhazDelta

PhazDelta Master Guru

GPU:
    RX6900XT Strix LC
    just don't active Raytracing :p

3. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    Go into your AMD control panel and tap the cog wheel in the upper right.

Now go to preferences and disabled animations, web browser, toast, and system tray icon.

I find that animations in the control panel are not needed, web browser isn't needed either, and disabling system tray icon just keeps your system tray clean and clutter free. You can still right click on desktop to load up the panel or use hotkeys to load up quick settings change.

Also a good idea to set a custom fan profile for better temps and/or quieter operation. You don't need MSI AB for this its right in the tuning section. I would personally uninstall MSI AB if you use it, I find it can cause conflicts when using AMD control panel to do any sort of over or under clocking. If you prefer MSI AB then just install AMD driver with the minimal install option.

Also Image Sharpening is enabled by default and set to 80% personally I find this too high. I prefer setting this to between 30-50% but its totally down to personal preference.

More Power Tools is a good app for tweaking your GPU's power usage and disabling deep sleep (DS_) states for a small increase is .1% lows but not needed.

depends what RT. shadows seem to do quite well on RDNA2 and some lighting is passable but it falls apart with reflections. this is due to RDNA's architecture and its RT cores which only perform certain calculations in the BVH pipeline the rest is fed into the compute units which causes slow downs.

ATOJAR, PhazDelta and Undying like this.
  4. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Maybe some undervolting. Look up some guides.

Considering how few games worth having raytracing enabled he probably wont have to.

ATOJAR, CPC_RedDawn and PhazDelta like this.

5. cucaulay malkin

cucaulay malkin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AD102/Navi21
    don't look for issues where there aren't any
    try fsr 2.0 mods see if you like them
    https://www.techspot.com/news/95194-amd-fsr-20-mod-comes-several-more-games.html

Undying and ATOJAR like this.
  6. ATOJAR

ATOJAR Member Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750 XT Red Devi
    Never intended too. :D

PhazDelta and CPC_RedDawn like this.
  7. ATOJAR

ATOJAR Member Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750 XT Red Devi
    Thank you, all sorted however the Image Sharpening, i have turned that off completely, i really dont like how it looks.

PhazDelta and CPC_RedDawn like this.
  8. ATOJAR

ATOJAR Member Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750 XT Red Devi
    Undying and CPC_RedDawn like this.
  9. Vlooi

Vlooi Active Member

GPU:
    Radeon vii
    Very good resource for Radeons and their software is channel "Ancient Gameplays" on Youtube (Fabio Pisco). You will learn a lot about setup from his channel.

ATOJAR likes this.