Do you buy games at launch, or wait some time?

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Horus-Anhur, Aug 2, 2022.

?

Do you usually buy games at launch?

1. Yes. I like to play them are hot, right out of the oven.

9 vote(s)
    31.0%
  2. No. I prefer to wait a while and pay less.

19 vote(s)
    65.5%
  3. I rent games (rent stores, Gamepass, etc)

1 vote(s)
    3.4%
  1. Horus-Anhur

Horus-Anhur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 XT
    What is your strategy when buying games?
    Do you buy games day one, riding the hype.
    Or do you prefer to wait some time and get it cheaper and with a few patches.

Don't forget to tell us why.

DannyD likes this.
  2. cucaulay malkin

cucaulay malkin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AD102/Navi21
    wait to be fixed

3. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Depends on the game, sadly. Also, turns more towards "wait" and less "launch day enthusiasm" for me I have to admit.
    Last game I preordered was CP2077, and lucky enough, it ran decent and I was able to play and enjoy it for what it is at the time. Then again, I also was one of the guys who preordered No Man's Sky... and still regret that decision.

Also, either it's timely exclusives with EGS or consoles, which I chose to not support with my buying decisions. So it automatically leads to waiting.
    Just as much as I don't fancy paying full price for a PC title that's a year old, or console titles that end up being a few years old when they hit the PC (Sony's titles).

So yeah, I'm voting for a waiting game tactic.

4. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    No, but i do have gamepass, so i do get access to some games at their launch, but outside that i don't pre-order or buy any game at launch, lessons have been learned from doing so in the past never to be repeted.

5. JaylumX

JaylumX Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080 TI 12G
    I do not buy games full price anymore with the exception of FromSoftware games. I wait until I see more than a 50% drop in price.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2022
    Valken likes this.
  6. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Depends on the game. I do wait for few patches and price maybe go down but sometimes i buy day one like with dying light 2.

Maddness likes this.
  7. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    Question should be about playing fresh new games, not about buying them.
    I never play fresh new games, but sometimes I buy them.

cucaulay malkin likes this.
  8. DocStr4ngelove

DocStr4ngelove Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080TI Ventus3X
    Mostly yes, but this will change with games that im not super hyped about, like Spiderman.

9. Valken

Valken Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Forsa 1060 3GB Temp GPU
    Depends...if it is a MUST play game or the value stretches over time like MP/COOP I buy on day one or preorder with discount.

Otherwise, I might wait only because I am backlogged so it benefits from sales and me clearing my "to do" list.

10. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    Long long wait, has to be 75% off atleast.

Horus-Anhur and anticupidon like this.

11. coc

coc Maha Guru

GPU:
    3060Ti
    its simple for me.

in most cases ( id say 95% ~) - i will wait for several days, weeks, months - depends on the game itself and on several reviews from different sources i find to be legit and relevant.
    in some cases - i will pre-purchase no matter what. examples: Half-Life series, Diablo series, The Last of Us ( PC ). those cases are very rare but they exist once in a while.

i can't even call it a strategy tbh, because these days at 35 years of age, working a lot, and expecting my first child.. i have no problem at all delaying games for months. i don't have the urgency to play at release or close to release like i once had. it's the same hobby but with a different approach. not complaining.. exactly the opposite, i prefer it this way :)

DocStr4ngelove likes this.
  12. Backstabak

Backstabak Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte Rx 5700xt
    I buy games when I want to play them. I.e. if its something fresh that I am really hyped about, I just buy it and play right away. If its not and I will play it later I will just buy it then. Sometimes I forget and then see things I wanted to play in a sale, so I buy them there, but only if I really intend to play them. I have quite a few games in my backlog from previous sales and I don't want to just blindly add there.

13. Kirkyl

Kirkyl Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 Strix OC
    Depends on the game. I don't buy as many games day 1 like I use to when I was younger and income was far more disposable, but the odd title comes through where I'll make that exception.

Everything else, either Game Pass or wait to pick it up for cheap.

14. big ROBOT bill

big ROBOT bill Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 4070Ti OC
    I pre order

15. DannyD

DannyD Ancient Guru

GPU:
    evga 2060
    I wait unless its cyberpunk, fallout 5, mega games i want to be part of launch party.

16. Horus-Anhur

Horus-Anhur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 XT
    For the most part, I wait for while, for three reasons.
    For one, I get a more polished version of the game, with less bugs and issues. Then I pay a lot less, and usually get a lot more if it's a Goty edition. Finally, I have a significant backlog, so I can wait.

One thing I did recently was to get 2 years of Gamepass Ultimate for just 35€, using the Gold to Ultimate conversion.
    So that's a lot of games, for a bargain.

cucaulay malkin likes this.
  17. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    I read the title as do you buy games at lunch...

I mean, sometimes, xd

18. Reclusive781

Reclusive781 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 7800 XT
    I usually buy video games at around $5-$20 when they're on sale. Last time I remember buying a game at full price was Destiny 2 because Bungie and I liked Halo 1 on PC. I did buy a few 7/10 tier legacy games off of Ebay like Cryostasis which I probably payed $19-$30. Idk whether to save it for Halloween or play it now even knowing there's some not so good things happening right now which might result in me not being able to play it at all. There's a user made patch that allows the game to use more than 2GB's of VRAM which allows people to play the game at 100+ fps all the time unless PhysX is on. With phyx on there's massive dips but it's still playable. I don't think it ever went below 60fps.

I also get video games for free thanks to Tim.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2022
  19. moab600

moab600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY 4090 XLR8 24GB
    Depends on the game as i also have much less time to play it.

Tekken is one of the few games I buy at launch.

20. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    Normally i wait some months or even some years to buy most of my games, so they are cheaper and more polished.

There are some exceptions, like souls games that i`m a big fan, or Football Manager, that i pre order every year despite the fact that most of the times the game is just an updated data base...