ASUS announces flagship Zenfone 9 Equipped with a camera with a built-in gimbal

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jul 29, 2022.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. Ivrogne

Ivrogne Master Guru

GPU:
    a GPU
    Wait, this thing still exist? Wow.

3. spine

spine Member Guru

GPU:
    Titan Xp CE + EK WB
    This is the phone I've been waiting a decade for: Powerful camera, practical form factor, no wishy-washy bullshit, and I couldn't care less about it's graphical performance.

mohiuddin and -Tj- like this.
  4. Embra

Embra Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Red Devil 6950 XT
    Starts at $700.

5. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    Cheap by today's standards!

Embra likes this.
  6. Embra

Embra Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Red Devil 6950 XT
    Not bad, but what is the ending price?

7. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    Whatever apple/Samsung decides it is?

8. scoter man1

scoter man1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070ti
    I just like that it's not yet another 6"+ phone. I'd consider getting it if it had a dev community behind it.

mohiuddin likes this.
  9. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    This is the kind of innovation to phone cameras that I'm ok with. I have significant doubts that this gimbal actually works well enough, but at least it's a solution to a real problem and isn't pointless, unlike phones with 100MP+ sensors.

scoter man1 likes this.
  10. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    Personally, i really like the Zenphone 8 and i even considered buying one but it`s too expensive for me ( more than 650€) and my P10 is still going strong, without any issue.

Maybe now the price drops to a value i may consider enticing...

Also, the Zenphone is a "compact" phone, compared to other high end phones, and for me that`s a big plus because i don`t like giant phones.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2022

11. fredgml7

fredgml7 Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 7600
    There are a lot of good options outside the Iphone endless zombie trend. :D
    Pixel 3a here.

12. wavetrex

wavetrex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 6800XT OC
    As someone who uses a DJI Pocket, I can say that digital gimbal stabilizers are an absolutely amazing invention.
    A few micromotors, sensors and some computing power turns a shaky unwatchable video into something that looks smooth and professional.

Having even partial gimbal motion inside a phone camera is a game changer for sure !
    Can't wait to see the full review from MKBHD
    https://twitter.com/MKBHD/status/1552648919670308864

13. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
  14. D1stRU3T0R

D1stRU3T0R Master Guru

GPU:
    8 GB
    799 aparently, so +100
    k
    also, this is really overpriced, like SD8G1 with cooling, 165Hz, 64MP camera and 8K24 too, being only $619, check out RedMagic 7 (from Nubia, subbrand of ZTE)

Last edited: Jul 31, 2022
  15. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    I can't really say one way or the other the price increases of these items, however, i'm just going to state what is in the ZenFone 9, that is not in the RedMagic 7

Snapdragon 8+ (RedMagic has 8, not 8+)
    Gorilla Glass Victus (Redmagic has Gorilla Glass 5, Victus is beyond Gorilla Glass 6)
    IP68 dust/water resistant (redmagic does not have an IP rating, it may have good water/dust protection, but it is unknown what it is, not a great sign)
    Super AMOLED 1100 nits (redmagic has a regular AMOLED with 700 nits, though testing has concluding the max on it is actually more around 500)

What does the redmagic have over the Zenfone 9?
    Larger screen at 6.8" vs 5.9", though this is preference so not sure which way it can go as it's up to the individual person which they like more
    165Hz screen, zenfone is 120hz.

You also listed off the 64MP camera as though it was a benefit over the zenfone, yet i can not find any reliable information on what the zenfone is even using other then the generic, small sensor, high MP camera. Without being able to test the two and compare the picture quality as of yet, it can't be determined which is better, but i'd bet real money the zenfone, even though it has less megapixels, has vastly better picture quality then the redmagic 7

Looks like to me the redmagic 7 is overpriced, it's like a phone that wants to be part of the elite, so they add a high end processor, make everything else cheap, and call it good. It's definitely not a well rounded phone.

Not saying the zenfone 9 isn't overpriced as well, but it seems far more well rounded and a quality product, at least on paper and materials.

And before anyone thinks "Oh well you must be a fan of zenfone, or hate ZTE/nubia". I've never owned and will likely never own a phone from either of them. Neither of them really cater to what i want, though the zenphone adding features like a gimbal to the camera is enticing.

D1stRU3T0R likes this.

16. D1stRU3T0R

D1stRU3T0R Master Guru

GPU:
    8 GB
    I definetly agree with you on most things that you said, I'm neither a fan of these brands but Zenfone seems really overpriced. I wanted to say Redmagic 7S, but I don't know the price of it, and if its almos the same as 799 Zenfone, then its really just down to prefference.

In other words, IF we compare the latest SD8G1+ phones, Redmagic 7S and Zenfone, we can all agree that even if RedMagic has more MP, the quality is mostly the same, screen NOT that bright but definetly much better, and the cooling part is one of the most important thing. Newer SD is like Intel, hot garbage, so it has to have very good cooling just for it to maintain high performance. The Zenfone will most likely throttle just after few minutes, meanwhile on RedMagic you can film 8K, play, stream without any worries about stutters.

17. MonstroMart

MonstroMart Maha Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 Red Dragon
    If you want a phone that's not going to be updated 6 months after you bought it that's the one for you.

I bought one ASUS tablet brand new couple of years ago and it's pretty much never been updated outside of 2 or 3 security updates. Still running the same version of Android it shipped with. They are on my do not ever buy again list when it comes to phones and tablets.