Weird Temp Increase RX 6600

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by AbdelRahim Jawad, Jul 22, 2022.

1. AbdelRahim Jawad

AbdelRahim Jawad Member

GPU:
    RX 570 / 4GB
    So i have been using XFX Speedster SWFT RX 6600 for nearly 2 months now, i was contacting XFX from the beginning as their agent said i am allowed to increase the Power Limit to +20% without voiding my warranty
    but before a week a problem started
    that my GPU Temp never exceed 62 c but the hotspot temp could reach a crazy levels such as +100c as the below screenshot
    before it was 62c maximum and the hotspot temp never exceeded 90c
    [​IMG]
    This problem started when exactly after i have replaced my low profile stock CPU cooler with Tower cooler (Thermaltake Toughair 310),
    I have reported this issue to XFX and they offered RMA but it will cost me 100 - 150 USD (Shipping and Tax)
    so we were troubleshooting the issue together since then, i have tried to .
    1. downgrade chipset driver,
    2. tested the GPU driver on 22.5.1, 22.5.2 and 22.6.1 and 22 Q2 , all of them resulted the same issue,
    3. set the Power Limit to 0%, GPU Temp went down to 60c and Hotspot to 80-85c
    4. switched to Quite Bios, temp increased since it is quite
    5. someone advised that it is normal temp increase since the new CPU cooler well cause a heat mass above the card and it will affect the hotspot temp of the CPU (since it is more sensitive) , CPU temp not exceeding 59c while gaming
    6. someone advised to change the thermal paste as he stated that i might be moved the heatsink if i was installing the GPU and pushing it harder than i should, XFX gave me the permission to service the card ( re apply thermal Paste without voiding the warranty)
    7. tried a fresh windows 11 and windows 10 installation, same thing
    8. if i set the Power Limit to +20% it will run fully at 120Watt which less than the card rated 132Watt, and on 0% it will run on 100Watt and i will lose more than 15 - 20% of Performance
    9.tried undervolting but it seems not working
    10. tried to increase fan speed, but it only lowers the GPU Temp 57 - 59c, while the Hotspot Temp keep rocking high 92 - 97c while gaming

anyone knows what is exactly the problem, and if he faced it how to solve it ?

Last edited: Jul 22, 2022
  2. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Hotspots are always going to be high 15c above core temp even on an nvidia card. These are the hot days so its kinda expected the card being at 90-95c hotspots is normal. You can try repasting the card it could help by a few degrees and increase the fan speeds.

AbdelRahim Jawad likes this.
  3. AbdelRahim Jawad

AbdelRahim Jawad Member

GPU:
    RX 570 / 4GB
    Well the Hotspot temp 30 - 40c higher than gpu temp

4. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Combination of undervolt, fan speed increase, repaste should be fine just keep it under the 110c where it supposed to throttle.

5. AbdelRahim Jawad

AbdelRahim Jawad Member

GPU:
    RX 570 / 4GB
    Undervolt and increasing fan speed doesn't affect the hotspot temp, i think i will change the thermal paste
    Arctic MX-4 4gm - 14 USD
    Master Gel Maker Nano 4gm - 14 USD
    Master Gel Pro 4gm - 10 USD
    Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut 1gm - 14 USD
    which one should i pick for the gpu ?

6. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Negligible but i think kryonaut would be best.

7. BuildeR2

BuildeR2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 4090 TUF OG OC
    In my experience, if the edge temp and hot spot temp grow farther apart you either have an issue with the cooler mount against the GPU surface or part of the die is not adequately covered with thermal paste. Back with my 1080 Ti running it at stock power limits (250W) the edge and hot spot were 18C-22C apart, but upping the power limit to allow 300W would cause the fans to harshly ramp to 100% as the temperature differential grew to almost 40C.
    Then when I got this 2080 Ti it was doing the same thing, even at stock! I eventually got frustrated enough to dare to repaste it and sure enough, more than 30% of the die had no thermal paste...

8. MerolaC

MerolaC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AsRock RX 6700XT
    What mostlikely happened is that the paste in the card got pumped out
    Don't use Kryonaut if you are repasting, go for Hydronaut, since Kryonaut pumpsout extremely easly while Hydronaut does not for years if ever.

9. Truder

Truder Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6700XT Nitro+
    Happened to me with my 6700XT, I repasted with MX-4 and it happened again a month later. Repasted a 2nd time with SYY-157 and it's been perfect ever since.

BuildeR2 likes this.
  10. MerolaC

MerolaC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AsRock RX 6700XT
    Of course, out of the "branded" pates, MX-4 is one of the worst to use.
    Pumps out in a month if lucky.

11. AbdelRahim Jawad

AbdelRahim Jawad Member

GPU:
    RX 570 / 4GB
    So I have used MX-4 and the temp dropped significantly
    Here is a picture for the new
    Well I have used MX-4 as many reported that they had issues with Krayount and Master Gel Maker Nano
    And unfortunately
    Only
    Krayount
    Mastergel pro
    Mastergel maker
    Nh-n1
    And MX-4 available locally
    And in long term MX-4 was the best of them
    FB_IMG_1658643970684.jpg

12. MerolaC

MerolaC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AsRock RX 6700XT
  13. AbdelRahim Jawad

AbdelRahim Jawad Member

GPU:
    RX 570 / 4GB
  14. Truder

Truder Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6700XT Nitro+
    I'd like to direct you to this thread, https://forums.guru3d.com/threads/any-recommendations-for-gpu-thermal-paste.437415/

I actually posted in this thread when I needed to repaste my card the 2nd time as MX-4 didn't work, pumped out, and went looking for recommendations where I then posted my findings after having bought and applied SYY-157.

15. AbdelRahim Jawad

AbdelRahim Jawad Member

GPU:
    RX 570 / 4GB
    Hmmmm, the problem that i am too limited with my choices as I explained before
    The choices I got or options
    Thermal Grizzly Krayount, which I used before on my rx 570,it was really bad, pump out very fast, costed me 15 usd for 1gm
    Nocuta Nh-n1 many reports says it is a great to be used with CPU not with GPU also 1gm for 15 usd
    Mastergel Maker Nano - I could not find anyone advising using it even - 4gm for 14 usd
    MX-4 4gm for 12usd
    So it was really hard decision,
    Now during gaming GPU temp not exceeding 58c and Junction temp not exceeding 76c
    Till now everything is in place, I will test for a month or two then report here the results

16. Agonist

Agonist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900xtx Black
    When I had my 5700xt, hotspot was 101c with air cooler, and 110c, was worse with AIO. Load temps though were 76c air, 60c AIO. 120mm.
    Got a waterbock, did a custom loop and load temp was 43c, 73c hotspot while overclocked.
    My 6800xt was 93 hotspot, 76c load air. Water cooled is 43c, 80c hotspot with overclock

AbdelRahim Jawad likes this.
  17. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    For GPUs and laptops, I use IC Diamond 7. Stuff knows how to stay put and fill gaps. :)

18. AbdelRahim Jawad

AbdelRahim Jawad Member

GPU:
    RX 570 / 4GB
    Hmmmm well it is only rx 6600 not worth the aio