Plasma TV colors are better than OLED. Panasonic Viera vs LG C1

Discussion in 'The HTPC, HDTV & Ultra High Definition section' started by maur0, Jul 7, 2022.

1. maur0

maur0 Master Guru

GPU:
    point of view gtx 570 1gb
    2021 4k HDR tv losing to a 2009 plasma? would HDR be a big farce? because the old tvs already had something similar famous color system x.v.color deep color, shown on the plasma tv below where the image is much more vivid than the OLED above

vestibule and cucaulay malkin like this.
  2. Trunks0

Trunks0 Maha Guru

GPU:
    PC RedDevil 7900XTX
    erhm I would need a better calibrated comparison than this. Because without calibration, it could just be that the plasma has exaggerated colour.

3. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
  4. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Also the colour volume of the display needs to be measured to see if it is worth bothering to use HDR.
    If the colour volume doesnt extend much beyond SDR, all you are seeing is effectively a raised colour level and maybe some colour shift.

I had a Panasonic TH-42PZ80B Plasma that supported x.v. colour.
    When it was replaced with a 2018 Samsung QE55Q9FN, there was no contest, SDR, HDR and brightness were a huge win for the Samsung and it still looks amazing.
    My Dad did the same moving from a better plasma to the lowest spec 2018 QLED and found the same.
    And those are not even OLED.

Nopa likes this.

5. Lloyd_Braun

Lloyd_Braun Member Guru

GPU:
    Asus rog strix 3080
    loving my lg cx 55 oled, using as a monitor.

6. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    QLED teevees are quality, taking the best of LCD and making it brighter, that also scales very very well.

I think they would have been better received by the public perception if they had-

Not been so expensive for the highest end models
    Not used the name QLED (and a very thin font) instead of perhaps...using an Italicised "Q" or even lower case "q" with a bigger/different font for the "LED" bit
    Had better training for retail outlets, the media and the general public.

This did cause confusion for the QLED market, with people often not really knowing whether they got an "OLED" or an "LCD+", which is what it was. People often then got a teevee home, only to find out that when The Joneses came round for drinks, they found themselves in a position of being corrected, and having to apologise for mistakenly calling their new teevee an OLED when it was in fact an LCD+ with an LED backlight.

They then were told, by their neighbours that 'real' OLED teevees are roughly the same price at the low end, and roughly the same at the high end, just with a massive and complicated 'sales matrix' one would need to go through to know whether they did in fact have something that could hit X statistic, or not.

Retailers were trained badly on this, not really giving the people in the stores the right way to sell these teevees when people made enquiries, but also, they stacked the teevees in the store where you could see the depth of the teevee. This clearly compounded the problems together because, not only were these teevees much thicker than the Razor thin OLED by objective comparison. In some instances the teevees were in fact deeper than some peoples thin 'regular' LCD teevees they already had!

Now, however; we got a new kid of the block, the QD-OLED.

Surely, just as QLED is LCD+... QD-OLED is OLED+ ?

Naming means a lot, but I really think the "LCD", "LED", "OLED" components of these naming conventions should look and appear differently from the rest of it, as you can have many flavours of technology, so simply:

QLCD
    OLED
    OLED+

Nopa likes this.
  7. Trunks0

Trunks0 Maha Guru

GPU:
    PC RedDevil 7900XTX
    Yeah... Samsung did that to confuse the market on purpose. Marketing tactics.

8. Nopa

Nopa Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090 & RX 580
    Never have the chance to own or see any Plasma TV in my life. Curious where would you guys insert Plasma in this display technology Tierlist:

QDEL/QD-LED/ELQD/EL-QLED
    QNED
    AMQLED
    QD-MicroLED
    MicroLED
    QD-OLED
    RGB-OLED
    AMOLED
    W-OLED
    CRT
    FALD QD-MiniLED IPS LCD
    FALD QD-MiniLED VA LCD
    Modern IPS LCD
    Modern VA LCD
    Modern TN LCD

9. aufkrawall2

aufkrawall2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT Hellhound
    Would put it really high in that list for watching SDR video under dimmed conditions with enough viewing distance, much closer to OLED than LCD. Perfect viewing angles, motion picture and and close to perfect black.
    But with regard to gaming vs. OLED HDR 4k 120Hz VRR, it's a different story. Plasma has become quaint.

Nopa likes this.
  10. Trunks0

Trunks0 Maha Guru

GPU:
    PC RedDevil 7900XTX
    Odd list but Plasma would sit above CRT, but below OLED imho. Just from a picture quality stand point and not thinking about resolution, feature support etc.

Because when you start going down that route things get fuzzy and you have advances that just where or where not available to one tech or another.

Nopa likes this.

11. SplashDown

SplashDown Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 980ti Classy
    I had same TV, the panasonic plasma just died on me bout 6 months ago. I bought mine at same time as you also. I picked up a 65 4K Hisense, I love it.

12. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    Is that list in any order?

Plasma does not have HDR, none do - so the tech is missing software, rather than the software is missing tech - as such it's nearly impossible to compare the tech, unless they all had the same software capability.

Mda400 likes this.
  13. Nopa

Nopa Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090 & RX 580
    It's how I imagine which tech stacks up on which. Could be wrong, but from what I've seen of TV-Monitors through out three decades. OLED seems to have the best image quality and vibrancy. Infinite black, infinite contrast, great motion clarity, and the only tech with truly 0.1ms response time convinces me OLED > CRT > LCD in IQ.

I've seen in other forums so many people haven't had the chance to try Plasma. It should've been popular years longer so the tech gets the chance to improve like LG Display's WRGB-OLED. Initially, W-OLED was like Plasma the first few years it came out.

14. Nopa

Nopa Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090 & RX 580

15. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    Well, there is your answer: it depends on what you're grading, but in general, I think that modern tv standards would make anything not modern standards kinda mute.

As there are no CRT teevees being made right now, it's similar to my above point on Plasma - you have to compare like for like, and that is impossible.

'Quantum Dot' OLED is better than the White subpixel OLED, and is currently the best IQ on the market.

16. Mda400

Mda400 Maha Guru

GPU:
    4070Ti 3GHz/24GHz
    Imagine if CRT or Plasma could do HDR. The power draw in doing so...

17. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    The thing is, I want a new teevee and currently do have a plasma - but the people making teevees do not want my money, they keep using out of date standards for connections. We are on HDMI "2.1a" right now, and some are still using 2.0 from November 2017.

"2.1a" is what I want, on a "QD-OLED" yet, no one is making them.

link

Mda400 likes this.
  18. PPC

PPC Master Guru

GPU:
    Samsung s95b is a QD-OLED that has all HDMI ports 48Gbps certified.

19. Trunks0

Trunks0 Maha Guru

GPU:
    PC RedDevil 7900XTX
    HDMi's spec scheme now is almost completely meaningless.

Whats the Gbps are and what is specifically said to be supported is all that matters now. Because just saying "HDMI 2.1" et all means crap all now.

PPC likes this.
  20. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    Please don't link anything from those people, and, that video had far too much "it's a little bit like" statements in it, making a lot of that crap false equivocation. And it is crap, and, you really should not be watching it

All I did is link the HDMI 2.1a current standards, which allows me to be an informed consumer - anything those people have to say is just crap for clicks.

Sorry.