Intel Arc A380 is plagued with software flaws, often unplayable

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jul 20, 2022.

1. Supertribble

Supertribble Master Guru

GPU:
    Noctua 3070/3080 FE
    That guy. Yeah... :mad:

edit

Not the same guy but DF, unfortunately, like to shill for Nvidia. Their history of the GPU only includes Nvidia cards, or it did. I think the content was altered.. o_O

shill.JPG

Last edited: Jul 21, 2022
    Undying likes this.
  2. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    There's no bad products, just bad prices.

Silva likes this.
  3. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    Showing who sponsors something is the opposite of shilling. I would also challenge anyone to show me one thing AMD did in the graphics space, that was exciting and original in the last decade, with the possible exception of the cache in RDNA 2.0.

4. Supertribble

Supertribble Master Guru

GPU:
    Noctua 3070/3080 FE
    The origins of the 3D graphics card originally said [sponsored by Nvidia] which was then changed to [sponsored].

DF's 3080 video was a promotional video for Nvidia, more or less, and was rightfully called out as such by Steve at HUB.

Some of AMDs products get covered by DF (in video form), a lot don't, whereas any old crap by Nvidia does, such as the 3050. I'm also wondering if Zen 3 got covered with videos...I'm not sure it did? Pretty much anything by Intel gets covered, or it did.

I like DF overall but they have put out some questionable content IMO.

5. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    DF is not a review channel, not really. They're more of a tech channel. In that sense, there's no way they would review all AMD products. Also the 3050 is more popular than the 1080, and AMD numbers barely put a dent in Steam statistics.

https://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/videocard/

If I had a tech (not benchmark) focused channel, I wouldn't bother with anything from AMD except the RDNA 2.0 cache and perhaps the trick they did with the texture units to use them for raytracing.

All the exciting stuff in this space, since GCN, has unfortunatelly happened from the NVIDIA side, which also has a 75+% of the discreete market.

6. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    3050 is an awful card idk why would anyone buy one. As for amd fsr2.0 was pretty interesting being open source and can be modded to any game that use dlss. He didnt cover any of it or he didnt care and thats probably for the best becouse he would crap on it like he always do.

Picolete likes this.
  7. Horus-Anhur

Horus-Anhur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 XT
    We can also add, that most of the team barely had anything other than nVidia cards. In a recent podcast, Richard and Jonh said they only had a couple of AMD cards. And Alex admitted that he had never used an AMD card, only nVidia.
    Then they proceeded to state that in the last decade all innovation was done by nVidia, and nothing was done by AMD.
    I know that nVidia has done the most in innovation in the last decade, but stating that AMD did nothing is an outright lie.
    The push for low level APIs was all AMD's doing. Free-sync, which now nVidia calls G-sync Compatible was AMD's doing. SAM/Rebar was also AMD. Async compute was done by AMD since the first GCN, and nVidia only managed to do a proper implementation in Turing.
    And there are probably a few I forgot from AMD.

It's very obvious that DF has a strong bias towards NVidia.

8. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    FSR2.0 is a stop gap because AMD is actually behind in tech. If you want a better solution XeSS is much more interesting.

The 3050 is an awful card, but it has sold almost a 10% of the total PC sales of AMD.

9. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Mindshare people dont know any better.

This is why i love HU

Keitosha, Venix, carnivore and 2 others like this.
  10. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    This is very true, but it was effectively pushed close to the "start" of the decade. And the main reason behind it was AMD's lackluster DX9-11 driver, and not the wish to innovate, but fair is fair.

No, that's PCI Sig, and PCIe was basically created by Intel and HP.

Async compute was implemented and requested by Sony because their consoles had weak CPUs. It helped AMD because it's a way to hide driver inefficiences on the PC. Nvidia literally didn't even need it beforehand. In fact, everything interesting in GCN has Mark Czerny's round head behind it.

G-sync was first, FreeSync was again a cheap alternative of an existing idea. I don't complain, but it's neither exciting nor groundbreaking.

Compare anything above with just DLSS and the general impact of computer vision, or having actually working ray tracing hardware and the balls to push it so hard.

Are we serious now?

11. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    I agree on that one. Intel really need to push XeSS hard if they want to compete. Still none game to test.

12. Horus-Anhur

Horus-Anhur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 XT
    The Radeons 5000 and 6000, were very competitive with NVidia offerings. At a time when DX11 was king. So it wasn't anything to with DX11 drivers.
    The real reason was that several developers, including people like Jonh Carmack and Tim Sweeney were complaining that on PC, they were getting a huge bottleneck with draw calls.
    So AMD pushed for low level APIs. NVdia pushed for driver command lists, maintaining DX11.

Yes the standard was done by Intel and HP. But implementing it into gaming drivers, that was done by AMD.

Asyc compute has nothing to do with weak CPUs. It's just a way of filling empty shader units, from other work waves.
    It's like SMT, but for a graphics pipeline.

Yes, nVidia took the first step and charged a fortune for their G-Sync module. AMD found a much cheaper solution that is almost as good. Intel immediately supported Free-sync.
    And soon, the vast majority of monitors were using Free-sync, not the G-sync module. After a few years, they joined AMD, Intel and all the monitor manufactures in adopting Free-sync.
    So yes, this was a nice innovation from AMD.

Don't be fallacious. In my post I clearly stated that nvidia had done the most innovation in the last decade.

Venix likes this.
  13. Picolete

Picolete Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Pulse 6800
    I
    If im not wrong tessellation was pushed/started by "AMD" or ATi at that time with TruForm

I wont call Alex a shill like some are doing, but yeah i would call him a fanboy.

I know it's still early, but they dont even mention the FSR 2.0 injector for DLSS games

14. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    So, everybody here was expecting Intel`s GPUs to have problems with drivers but was anyone expeting something this bad???

Because there`s no point in releasing solid HW if the necessary SW is broken...

C`mon Intel, get your crap together because we need more competition!...

Maddness and Venix like this.
  15. Truder

Truder Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6700XT Nitro+
    Vesa adaptive sync was first - only really found use in Laptops, nvidia was first to market it though through their proprietary implementation. AMD responded by taking the already existing standard and enhanced it.

Venix likes this.

16. Horus-Anhur

Horus-Anhur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 XT
    Yes, he is a fanboy. Especially for everything NVidia and Crysis.
    Last year, him and Jonh went to the Crytec offices, to do an interview about the Crysis Remastered.
    And Alex starts talking about the shrine he had for Crysis at home. And you could just see the Crytec dev rolling his eyes at the absurdity.

In contrast Jonh has a passion for gaming and gaming tech. He might have some preferences, but overall, what comes across in his videos is the passion for games.
    His DF Retro analysis are an excellent example of this. Not only he talks about the tech, but also about how games impacted gamers.

Picolete likes this.
  17. nekrosoft13

nekrosoft13 Active Member

GPU:
    1080ti
    AMD needs 10 more years to catch up..

made a mistake of buying both 5000 and 6000 series cards, not doing that for a while..

18. Supertribble

Supertribble Master Guru

GPU:
    Noctua 3070/3080 FE
    Nvidia is supposed to have a driver overhead problem now vs AMD, which is interesting as the last AMD card I used (Radeon VII) had problems with DX11. I remember having trouble with Creed Odyssey on the Radeon because my Ryzen 3600 was getting pushed hard at the time.

Going back to Battaglia; I didn't realise he was an actual Nvidia fanboy, I just thought he was obsessed with ray tracing.

19. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    Well they clearly said so in the LTT video that Tier 3 games are gonna be a headache.

It's nice they're being so transparent about it atleast. I havn't seen a product being advertised like that in ages... if ever.

They're hyped, but at the same time don't want buyers expecting a smooth ride, cuz that simply isn't possible, no matter who steps in the GPU market as a newcomer.

20. nekrosoft13

nekrosoft13 Active Member

GPU:
    1080ti
    they just entered the GPU gaming market.
    They always been in CPU market, but just because you know how to make kick ass CPUs, doesn't mean that directly translates into GPUs.

Just because a company A been making sedans for decades and they decide to make a first pickup. their first pickup most likelly will have a lot of issues compared to company B that been making pickups for last century.