Stray (2022)

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Texter, Jul 30, 2021.

1. Horus-Anhur

Horus-Anhur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 XT
    I'm not making excuses for the devs. They screwed up the PC port.
    Just saying we can try doing something about it.

GamerNerves likes this.
  2. MaXThReAT

MaXThReAT Master Guru

GPU:
    2070-SOC 2Ghz
    Well I had to pick this up. So far it's a lot of fun. Couldn't stop smiling getting to play as a cat. It's quite fun.
    Not a single stutter so far. 4k maxed out settings. Solid 50-60fps. Off a standard HDD. Running the new 516.79 drivers.
    Maybe I got lucky but no issues here and give it two thumbs up. It'll tug at your heart strings, beware.

Archvile82 and SameOldx2 like this.
  3. ShadowDuke

ShadowDuke Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Radeon RX 6600
  4. kx11

kx11 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Same here, smooth sailing

Archvile82 likes this.

5. PapaJohn

PapaJohn Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus 6700XT OC 12Gb
    Smooth as butta, 4K, HDD, 3080 12GB maxed....no weird pawsing :rolleyes:

Archvile82 likes this.
  6. Horus-Anhur

Horus-Anhur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 XT
    Seems like it's a significant success for a small studio like this one.
    Not only it has a pretty good concurrent player count at launch, but it also has a Steam user score of 92%.

Untitled.png

7. ShadowDuke

ShadowDuke Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Radeon RX 6600
    Im 3/4 through. I mean, this game is good,yes, but its not "extraordinary" (like, im not going to remember or think about this game in 1 year). Its a ~6 hours long game with easy puzzles, not like thinking outside the box. The price is okay.
    But the compiling shader stutter is annoying obviously - and it also seems if you restart the game often its running smoother. I had a 3 hour game session where stuttering was more noticeable over the time (compiled shaders should be done and not having the same "behaviour"), then i restarted the game, played for an hour and it was all good.

8. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    After all the ranting yesterday about Unreal Engine 4 stuttering in DX12 games - which is entirely justified since it affects so many PC games - it turns out that Stray runs in DX11 after all... and runs rather well at maxed out 1440p settings with 150% resolution scaling and a 60 fps (rather than Unlimited) framerate cap). There are some occasional stutters but these seem to be very rare and usually occur when entering new areas so are likely caused by the engine streaming data in from the SSD the game is installed to.

I did spot some alarmingly low-res PS3 era wall/moss textures in the starting area - and no these were not due to slow texture streaming issues - but overall the visuals look really nice. The cat is obviously the star of the game and is nicely detailed but some of the animation can look a little stiff and unnatural such as when turning around and jumping. Once you reach the city then the detail in the environments starts to impress as well. The movement mechanics work well and you get a button prompt where you can jump (it isn't limited to just a specific spot, thankfully) and when you can interact with something but I did get a little frustrated in a few places where I clearly should have been able to jump there but couldn't because there was no button prompt. Also, you can die in this game as I died during an early encounter with those little robot rat/mice things.

I've only played 90 minutes of the game so far but I have mostly been enjoying the slow pace, taking the time to explore and soak in the game's eerie post-apocalyptic atmosphere. In that time, I've only had a few simple puzzles - one of which was in a sealed room so the solution was rather obvious - and met both B12 and now the other robots. The game at this point starts to feel a bit more open instead of completely linear. However, if this is a 5 hour game then I am worryingly almost a third of the way through and so far there has been very little in the way of story or interaction with other characters.

Hopefully, this will prove to be more of a 10 hour experience for me than a 5 hour one because I generally like to take my time with these sort of games anyway.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2022
    AsiJu likes this.
  9. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT / 5700 XT
    The future of gaming. People suck. Protagonists are cats.

Meow.

Maddness, AsiJu and Lbuipo like this.
  10. Horus-Anhur

Horus-Anhur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 XT
    So Alex Battaglia was talking non-sense, again. :rolleyes:

Glad to know the game runs well enough. I'll probably get it in the future.

AsiJu and Archvile82 like this.

11. kx11

kx11 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
  12. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    That cat have come to claim there throne!

I watch gameplay video of game and i still not sure what i am supposed to thing about the game, seems like cat simulator in a end of humanity setting

TheDigitalJedi likes this.
  13. bobnewels

bobnewels Maha Guru

GPU:
    amd
    Game is released awesome.I feel like a good laugh,going to crack open a vodka cooler or two and head to the Steam forums for the TOXIC WOKE comments from the nutty nutbars gamers,should be a blast.

14. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    Unreal engine use the graphics.h APIs.
    F3_120M_512

15. Smough

Smough Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660
    Aha, zero proof of fps time graph, sure bud.

16. BetA

BetA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    G1-GTX980@1400Mhz
    i have no stutter.
    i play in DX11 (just force it with "-dx11"), disabled v-sync and locked my FPS to 60.
    and its as smooth as it can get really.. the frametimes are stable and no variation for most of the time. (ignoring loading assets/scenes).
    im also playing on a HDD with a GTX980 and a old i5 4670k - Game settings are set to highest (Res scaling = 100) @ 1200P Resolution. and i use ReShade on top cause the Games DOF sucks :rolleyes:

so, to everyone having issues, just try DX11 - there are literally allmost no differences in GFX.

comparison:

left = DX12 | right = DX11

https://imgsli.com/MTE3NjAy

allthough i dont know why, but here is a diff. comparison form someone else, and there dx12 has more shadows? but are also kinda broken? also lightning seems bad.
    (there are clearly artifacts)

i do not have it this bad with DX12, maybe its because im using an older Driver? i have no idea..

17. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    I honestly believe this is a matter of whether or not the devs are willing or able to modify the engine itself.

Look at all the indie games using UE4, all of them either stutter or have massive performance problems.
    Most big games using UE4 have similar issues. Only the rare handful like the few mentioned run smooth.

I doubt it's a matter of not having the ability to develop games but rather having to fix or workaround problems in the engine itself.

Also many UE4 games use DX11 and still run bad, actually there the lack of multithreading starts being a problem.
    I can only hope that UE5 improves on this / is more developer friendly to work with performancewise.

Who cares about Lumen or photorealistic graphics if the games run like shite even on NASA level supercomputers.

Lbuipo likes this.
  18. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    That aside game seems to be well received, I'll get this too from a sale I think a little later.

Elden Ring will keep me occupied for a good while and after that a chill game could be good, lols

19. TheDigitalJedi

TheDigitalJedi Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2X ASUS TUF 4090 OC
    I was thinking the exact same thing. Elden Ring has nice graphics but I'm going to need a chill or bright colorful happy game to play after I beat it. Lol.

I'll pickup Stray during the fall Steam Sale or Winter.

big ROBOT bill likes this.
  20. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    sInGlE PlAyEr gAmEs ArE DeAd....

[​IMG]

Maddness, Xtreme512 and AsiJu like this.