Windows 12 will be released in the fall of 2024

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jul 18, 2022.

1. Horus-Anhur

Horus-Anhur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 XT
    I have to disagree with a few.
    Windows 98 was the worst Windows I have ever used. It was a buggy mess of an OS that crashed all the time.
    Windows 98 SE was a big improvement. But still a bit poor.
    But from the 9X era kernel, Windows ME was the best for me. Very stable, fast and with a ton of new features. The only thing lacking was DOS support, but at that time, I didn't care.

You missed Windows 2000. I also tried this at the time. It was rock solid, even more than ME. But it was heavy for the time and nvidia drivers for it were behind the 9X.

Windows XP sucked a bit when it was released. It was only after SP2 that it became the proper good OS we remember today.

Windows 8.1 was actually decent. I remember changing from Windows 7, and gaining a small performance increase. The UI was lacking, but after a few tweaks, it was ok.

Windows 11 is a good OS. But it's just a Service pack for Windows 10. The UI is lacking in several points, but with a few tweaks, it gets much better.

You are also missing Windows 95, which was a good OS. And Windows 98 was the bad OS.

sykozis and Picolete like this.
  2. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    Don't give them ideas!

Actually, I like Windows 11 a lot. Some design decisions are bonkers, like a useless right-click content menu, until you tweak it to use the old one instead, and several other bogus features.
    However, overall, it's a solid system. For instance Auto HDR - Love it. One of my fav features. And I have fewer issues with the system overall in comparison to Win 10.

3. Picolete

Picolete Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Pulse 6800
    Those small performance increases are usually because you had a fresh install

4. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    Windows 8.1 is not valid.

5. Horus-Anhur

Horus-Anhur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 XT
    It wasn't. I always keep my OS clean. And at that time, the previous Win7 installation was very recent.
    It was really OS optimizations. Not mind you, it wasn't a huge increase. Just something around 5%.

Ghosty likes this.
  6. insp1re2600

insp1re2600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4080 FE
    win 2000 was great

7. vestibule

vestibule Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon RX6600XT
    Word is, that now it is obvious that moors law is running out of steam, then the future to get the best out of hardware will be custom chips and software.
    Which in case you hadn't notice is what Apple are doing now.
    I fink M$ are keeping there cards close to their chest for when they also have to adopt the same strategy as Apple.

8. rflair

rflair Don Coleus Staff Member

GPU:
    5700XT
    Apple hardware is ARM based and their software UNIX (BSD) based. Apple has never done a ground up hardware anything, their OSs have never been ground up theirs either.

9. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    What about 22, 51 (5-1), 82 (8/2), 16 (4 squared), 103, ...

10. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    They had to do everything they could think of to make people leave Windows 7.

... and NT4.

I used 98SE for gaming and while it had regular crashes (1 or 2 per day with all day gaming), Windows ME was far worse.
    It was even hard to install without a BSD!
    This may have depended on the hardware in use but I had to ditch ME and continue with 98SE which was a breath of fresh air in comparison.

Looks like I get to miss windows 11 entirely, cool.

11. umeng2002

umeng2002 Maha Guru

GPU:
    4080 Super
    I’m afraid of how much new spyware it will come with.

12. DownwithEA

DownwithEA Active Member

GPU:
    1060 6GB
    I think Windows 13 will be on par with Windows 9.

Picolete likes this.
  13. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    I was questioning bad numbers in China ;)

14. The Laughing Ma

The Laughing Ma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070ti
    Yup, place I work has Labs that run from 1 to 23 but no Lab 13.

I am wondering if I will need to not upgrade to Windows 11 before I choose not to upgrade to Windows 12?

15. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    How bought they just fracking stop amd do what apples once you have windows you have free update for like of that device.... i not buying and "new" windows OS every 3 years. not that bought OS in years, seeing I had access to keys so i dont have too.

The bigger plot twist would be every new OS will litterly Only work NEW hardware, forcing one yo get new pc system too....

only thing good that could out this imo is IF it 3 years of updates no "feature" updates that require re install of the os.

16. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    no more no less then what on your smartphone that is in your pocket and every other person that been going on about "the spyware" in Windows and camera and mic cant be remotely activated on your pc if there isnt one attached too , but smartphone in your pocket... yah

if anything smartphone is spying on you way more then windows.

Crazy Serb likes this.
  17. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    Windows 11 is recommended imo.

18. Bladeforce

Bladeforce Active Member

GPU:
    nVidia Titan
    I find the windows OS very boring now

sykozis likes this.
  19. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    Win xp x64 was one of my favourites, Windows 7 was nice and stable for most, Win10 is what I'm on now - and, I really do not like this announcement, not one little bit, jeez, with all the &*%$£ going on in the world, the last thing I needed was news about Windows turning into a 'operating system as a service' company.

Really not what I want from an operating system. It's an operating system, not a new smartphone you buy on a 96 month contract with $500 per month for only 2gb download limits that (for some unknown reason) will charge/count emojis as 'pictures' and therefore will charge you for each text you send with an emoji in it.

You guys had this? Your phone company charging you for sending text messages with emojis? And calling it a 'picture', like, as if it is a selfie you are sending someone?

F'king dispicable - but yeah, this is the direction operating systems are going - to become operating systems as a service, that only work if you have internet connections.

Think I'm joking, fellow gurus? I got two words for you: PHIL SPENCER.

His leather jacket was custom made...
    and you all know how I feel about people beyond the age of 18 wearing leather jackets.

20. Alessio1989

Alessio1989 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Always less than average android smartphone or iphone.