Unity merges with malware/bloatware company

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Horus-Anhur, Jul 14, 2022.

1. Horus-Anhur

Horus-Anhur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 XT
    Unity is merging with a company who made a malware installer

I had seen news that Unity was having some troubles. But getting to the point of merging with such a company, is a desperate move.
    Makes me wonder if we'll have to avoid Unity games, as not to get bloatware and/or malware installed on our PCs.

2. Embra

Embra Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Red Devil 6950 XT
    This seems Ironic.

3. skacikpl

skacikpl Maha Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 4090
    Personally i'm not a fan of Unity, amount of well made and optimised games based on this engine can be counted on fingers of one or two hands at best. I hate their CEO with passion and the engine itself has a lot of technological debt that keeps stacking since every time new system gets 60-70% made it's already outdated and so you have half a dozen different renderers or data handling approaches, none of which is properly finished.

STILL

It is main competitor to UE, even though it doesn't exist in AA+ segment and mostly racks up mobiles and lower to mid tier indies it HAS to exists simply to avoid UE monopolizing the market.
    I just wish they were managed better so they could finally get their crap together.

4. The $4.4 billion is a bit too high, but it's a good fit for Unity. Unity has been building their own ad platform for many years and it is their main source of income now. Unity is also building their own cloud solution, which needs a lot of work still. IronSource, which recently acquired TapJoy, will let them grow in this areas quite significantly. Cloud and Ad solutions are extremely important for Unity. This is not Epic, they don't have Fortnite, they don't steal royalties from developers like Unreal Engine and they don't have their own games store (yet).

btw. The dreaded InstallCore SDK is not even supported anymore. That's an ancient history. And one more thing... InstallCore is just an SDK. It's up to devs if they decide to use it. It's up to devs to choose what they bundle with their software.

GoldenTiger likes this.