NASA James Webb Space Telescope looks back 4.6 billion years.

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jul 12, 2022.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. Absolutely incredible. I can't wait to see science that is yet to come from this marvel of engineering.

mentor07825 and Maddness like this.
  3. Maddness

Maddness Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080 Aorus Xtreme
    Yep totally. I absolutely love this sort of thing.

4. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    I guess those "drawn out" galaxies look like this because of gravitational lens effects, correct?

5. DownwithEA

DownwithEA Active Member

GPU:
    1060 6GB
    I've been excited about this for the past decade. Even got to listen to a project lead during an interactive presentation. I was too nervous to ask a question. I wonder how many papers will be written form this image alone. I hope for a prosperous 20 years of operation.

reix2x likes this.
  6. Passus

Passus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4070 Gaming X
    Gravitational Lensing yes ,, amazing to me how far we see back, basically in time

7. Embra

Embra Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Red Devil 6950 XT
    This is so awesome!!

8. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    Yup, it is gravitational lensing, and it is literally looking back in time. Those photons have been traveling for roughly as long as our solar system has existed.

Passus likes this.
  9. geogan

geogan Maha Guru

GPU:
    4080 Gaming OC
    With that amount of gravitational lensing does that mean there is some large mass in centre like invisible black holes? Or is that just an effect of looking so far back in time and no black holes there?

Also in top right of picture I notice a galaxy that looks very similar to Milky Way - I wonder were there "ancients" who evolved there just like we are here billions of years later... if there was, can't imagine how much more advanced they are by now.

10. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    It's caused by galaxies in the foreground, which contain black holes and other massive objects, but there isn't some massive (singular) black hole that's doing it.

More than twice as old actually - from what I understand the light seen here is ~12.5-13B years old. The solar system is only 4.5B years old. It's kind of nutty thinking about it lol

[​IMG]

Here's a good comparison vs hubble. I can't find an exact amount of time for hubble but apparently Webb captured it's image in 12 hours while hubble took "weeks"

Last edited: Jul 12, 2022

11. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    4090@H2O

Not necessarily black holes, but massive objects. Also, a massive object does more lensing than a small one, but when you look "very closely" past a small one, it might look as if you're looking "not as close" past a big one.
    And you are right, there have been, and we probably will never know what they look like now, since they have been drifting away from us (cosmic expansion), and their light takes longer and longer to reach us...

geogan likes this.
  12. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    If it could see 4.6 billion years into the future, I'd give it a 50-50 chance of seeing Star Citizen finally released.

PrMinisterGR, Picolete, Venix and 5 others like this.
  13. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
  14. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Ya I guess it depends on what you're looking at in the photo:

Although the official image release doesn’t include scientific data, a number of these objects are claimed to have their light come to us from as far back as 13.5 billion years ago: pushing our earliest cosmic views back by approximately 100 million years.

https://bigthink.com/starts-with-a-bang/webb-first-science/

https://thehill.com/homenews/admini...mage-looking-back-more-than-13-billion-years/

Dunno

Silva likes this.
  15. Dribble

Dribble Master Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 1070
    The whole temperature control system is very impressive. A tennis court sized sunshield can reach 230F on the front and the back can get as low as -394F all from something super thin and light. The main instrument is then further refrigerated to -447F. As we are now getting pictures it actually works!

16. bobnewels

bobnewels Maha Guru

GPU:
    amd
    incredible

17. Martin5000

Martin5000 Master Guru

GPU:
    8 gig
  18. Fediuld

Fediuld Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD 5700XT AE
  19. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    It's basically what Hubble looked like in comparison to w/e was before Hubble.