Chatter: NVIDIA RTX 4090, RTX 4080 and RTX 4070 > 16384 cores, 24 GB GDDR6X, up to 2.75 GHz and 450W TGP

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jul 7, 2022.

1. nizzen

nizzen Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3x3090/3060ti/2080t
    The need for speed is real! We are never satisfied with the performance :p

TheDigitalJedi and tunejunky like this.
  2. tunejunky

tunejunky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx/7900xt
    the fjords of Norway are on my bucket list...but only in summer... (for the long days not just weather)

3. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Games will continue to get better looking, higher resolution textures, direct storage data directly loads into gpu memory, raytracing effects and ofc lazy developers and many UE5 games.

Better safe than sorry.

4. Zeblote

Zeblote Member

GPU:
    TUF RTX 3090 OC
    Yeah, ever since I got this 4k 120hz OLED TV, even the 3090 doesn't seem to cut it for many games.

5. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Some people are just never satisfied with the performance they have....

6. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 7800XT
    If they release something that is below 300W and 50% faster than RX6800 and cost less than 600 dollars...im sold :)

For me any upgrade below +50% performance is useless.

7. pegasus1

pegasus1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 4090
    You are either happy with its performance, or you cannot upgrade. There is nothing wrong with that. But other people may not be happy with their cards performance or are able to upgrade.

tunejunky likes this.
  8. Krizby

Krizby Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4090 TUF
    And then you would complain that 4070 doesn't have 16GB VRAM and go for AMD option anyways :D.

H83 and nizzen like this.
  9. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    Quite frankly, i think the RAM issue is a selling point in favour of AMD, because Nvidia is being really cheap with the RAM amount, despite the premium prices they charge...

mohiuddin and tunejunky like this.
  10. pegasus1

pegasus1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 4090
    There's always going to be a bottleneck in a GPU, it may be the architecture, the GPU Speed or the amount of VRam but, that bottleneck may well change depending on the game/application.
    Both NV and AMD have to balance price points so what do you favour, more VRam that might be wasted in some games that want more GPU speed, or a higher level of architecture but cut back on the VRam.
    If you want a 3070 but with more VRam and a faster GPU, then effectively you are trying to buy a slow 3080.

tunejunky likes this.

11. tunejunky

tunejunky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx/7900xt
    the bulk of Nvidia's gaming sales is mobile (M) gpus - model to model (despite actual differences) they sell almost 3x of the AIB models at less than 1/2 the price (no massive vrms/cooling solutions/packaging).
    imho, for multiple reasons Nvidia should (but won't) sell the AIB's the M variant for a "Lovelace Light" series of SKU's.

this achieves many things - like lower power ratings while still offering the RT and high res capabilities.
    this DOES NOT interfere with the main or "performance" series as enthusiasts know or would know the differences. this also really helps out budget builders and would really cause grief and headaches for AMD.

and get this - they actually have the same profit margin on mobile SKUs as AIB SKUs

pegasus1 likes this.
  12. pegasus1

pegasus1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 4090
    tunejunky likes this.
  13. tunejunky

tunejunky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx/7900xt
    absolutely
    that athlon was da bomb in many ways...dirt cheap and could OC like a sumbitch...i'd love just for that 3080M to be a $500 Ampere "light" let alone next gen

pegasus1 likes this.
  14. Exodite

Exodite Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56
    These days when effective boost behavior have practically rendered casual overclocking moot, for both GPUs and CPUs, I have to ask why the companies don't bother with tuning points beyond maximum power/maximum performance.

Sure, there's bound to be more work but how much more?

To me, at least, it's not unreasonable to ask for options to target an optimum power/performance point as well. For example.

There's an argument to be had that people historically have only cared about maximum performance but that was when mainstream cards where hitting ~200W. Now we're asked to upgrade our entire power delivery and chassi to get in on the latest and greatest.
    I, for one, would be happy to cut top performance by 10-20% if I could get power, and power spike, reductions of 30-50%.

Not everyone would, of course, I'm just saying that just providing that option shouldn't be a big deal. Surely the silicon have already been tested at every possible voltage/wattage.

YMMV.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2022
  15. SplashDown

SplashDown Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 980ti Classy
    Whatever, I can't afford this chit anyway.

16. pegasus1

pegasus1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 4090
    @Exodite Thats why undervolting is the new black, Theres plenty of games i run an undervolted profile with but if i need a bit more ooooomph, and that means more voltage/heat/power then i have that option.
    Its easier to take off a coat if you are warm , than not have a coat when you are cold.

17. cucaulay malkin

cucaulay malkin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AD102/Navi21
    then uv+oc

btw how does 6900xt do with undervolting ?

Last edited: Jul 10, 2022
  18. pegasus1

pegasus1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 4090
    Ha ha ha, the first line of mine said that.
    Ref uv well it not clear cut as the two games i play almost exclusively at the moment complete opposites when it comes to clocks and voltages. Metro EE is very picky on core speeds and voltages but DCS is just super stable with a good OC and pretty normal voltages. As my current monitor is 60hz ive often been using the Frame Rate limiter to keep at 60fps so that keep clocks and voltages very respectable.
    Once im back from the UK and have my new m onitor hooked up il go into a bit more depth on testing UV and OCing but on DCS i can hit 2,6ghz stable no issue.
    I UV my 3800x to 4.3ghz and 1.275v and that is perfectly stable.

19. cucaulay malkin

cucaulay malkin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AD102/Navi21
    I wonder how low you can go with power draw and still retain 100% factory performance

20. pegasus1

pegasus1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 4090
    Ive not tested as basically just worked on two profiles, one for each game. But i know that if i use the factory settings for normal, gaming or whatever they are called the power draw is crazy high. Anybody using the vanilla settings or even the AMD ones needs to set up some profiles manually, certainly if they are on air.