Chatter: NVIDIA RTX 4090, RTX 4080 and RTX 4070 > 16384 cores, 24 GB GDDR6X, up to 2.75 GHz and 450W TGP

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jul 7, 2022.

1. tunejunky

tunejunky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx/7900xt
    AMD has reportedly added tensor cores which should work out far better than RDNA 2. better should be good enough, remains to be seen if RT can actually be competitive in next gen gpus.
    i hope so but i don't really care about RT as the games i play are largely w/o it.

2. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    Even then, turn down textures a notch and you should see a enough of a drop in VRAM usage (again, not just buffer) to eliminate any problems with hardly any noticeable loss in detail. 1440p is roughly 1/3 the pixel density of 4K, so using textures optimized for 4K displays is a waste of system resources. Stick your face up to a wall and sure, maybe you'll see some differences if you look for long enough, but that's not really playing the game. Textures don't tend to put much load on the GPU but they tend to suck up the most VRAM and contribute the most toward load times. So, if VRAM is a bottleneck for you, especially if you're using an iGPU, lowering texture detail makes a big difference.

I agree, though I'm not entirely sure how this relates to what I said. If your point is "people here don't want to make sacrifices when they buy a new GPU" well, there's no free lunch. In today's market, you can either pay extra to have a surplus of resources to max out your games, or, you have to sacrifice some detail. Most of the time, those sacrifices make an insignificant difference in visual fidelity but a big difference in performance or system load. Sometimes we just gotta take what we can get.
    All that being said, I'm a cheapskate and I'm not willing to spend more than $400 on a GPU. And even that is a bit much; I'd rather my limit be $300 but I acknowledge that it's going to be another 10 years until a $300 GPU can play 4K @ 60FPS. I've said this before and I'll say it again: we've been getting 1080p GPUs being sold for $300 for the past 8 years. Sure, they're getting more efficient, they can handle things like RT or video decoding, and games are getting a little more demanding, but that's not worth the price tag. Compare this to the CPU market, where a 4c/8t CPU used to be sold for $350 8 years ago while today such a CPU is 1/3 the price, 2/3 the wattage, and 4/3 the IPC.

tunejunky, GoldenTiger and Maddness like this.
  3. Imglidinhere

Imglidinhere Guest

GPU:
    12GB RX 6700XT
    What? You can have 10GB on a 160-bit bus. That'd be five 2GB chips each with a 32-bit bus. That combines to 160-bit, 10GB. What's the confusion?

Did you not know of Nvidia's crazy deviation back in the day with the GTX 260 and their 896MB 448-bit bus cards? A little research goes a long way

Back to the actual article... since when is a 420w TGP considered REASONABLE?! Good lord, prior to Ampere, the highest TGP cards were custom kingpin variants. Any retain GPU was essentially capped to roughly a TDP of 250w. I don't understand why there's this compulsion to throw all efficiency out of the window for maximum performance. Absolutely absurd.

cucaulay malkin likes this.
  4. cucaulay malkin

cucaulay malkin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AD102/Navi21
    like I said, 8g is only pushed near the limit at 1440p when a lot of ray racing is used. and I mean a lot. maxed out rt in dl2/cp.

GoldenTiger likes this.

5. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    In the bottom section of the article where the specs for the various chips are listed, it's listed as 192 bit and 16gb, which is not a possible combo.

But i guess you were too busy writing that vomit to read the entire article...

6. nizzen

nizzen Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3x3090/3060ti/2080t
    Many want Absolutely maximum performance, that's why. Underclock, if you want good and more effency card.

tunejunky likes this.
  7. nizzen

nizzen Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3x3090/3060ti/2080t
    Why play on really low fps? Make a problem just for doing it?
    16xAA and RT max on all games, just to find a way to get stutter in game? People are strange LOL

GoldenTiger, alanm and Maddness like this.
  8. cucaulay malkin

cucaulay malkin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AD102/Navi21
  9. pegasus1

pegasus1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 4090
    DCS is the same, at 4K and max eye candy 4xmssa it maxed out my 1080Ti VRam and it also Max's out my 6900xt VRam.

Undying and GoldenTiger like this.
  10. lukas_1987_dion

lukas_1987_dion Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Phantom GS
    Is there x16AA in the first place? xD Why not use ultra settings when you have 3090+, that's the real question :p

11. tunejunky

tunejunky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx/7900xt
    well... on the topic while you were correct, many do not want to have to make compromises or work-arounds and they buy accordingly. so "making do" with less of something (while totally valid) is not going to fly when the object of their desire was the ability to fulfill certain parameters (like the alleged "best-in-class" performance they were paying for).

so yes your point is correct, but i'm not going to compromise on an enthusiast card at enthusiast prices.
    AMD is more than happy to take any and all of my enthusiast GPU $$ even though i have an rx6900.

i like having Nvidia, i've invested in the ecosystem. but having to go up a model to 12Gb when the competition has 16Gb for less money and over a wider product range is ridiculous

gee, who'dve thought that after buying a fancy G-Sync monitor (with module) that i actually want to take advantage of it.

but at least we have a grain of salt the size of Manhattan, we really don't know real world performance until these ship.

12. abula

abula Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX4090 Strix
    They should have given
    4090 24gb
    4080 16gb
    4070 12gb

I feel the extra 2gb on the 4070 was a must, its more greed of nvidia on saving.

H83 and tunejunky like this.
  13. nizzen

nizzen Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3x3090/3060ti/2080t
    Maybe only 0.01% actual want to pay more money for it. The rest don't need more vram, and don't want to pay extra for no performance gain. It's like buying 64GB ram, but 32GB is more than enough. Waste of money.

14. BOYDIE-NI

BOYDIE-NI Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD Radeon RX 6600
    With energy prices going through the roof, I would have hoped that things like GPUs would have become more efficient pulling less power.

15. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    We'll what amd can do.
    Dont worry 4070ti 12gb will be coming for the 3080 msrp.

tunejunky likes this.

16. pegasus1

pegasus1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 4090
    Didnt NV change the price of the 3080 at the last minute when it was released?

17. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Jensen is always changing the price last minute. Jaytwocents said even aibs are surprised.

TheDigitalJedi, chispy and tunejunky like this.
  18. pegasus1

pegasus1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 4090
    I cant remember the last time i was this intrigued for a GPU series release. Both sides releasing around the same time, performance levels unknown, prices unknown, power and heat levels unknown. Yeah theres leaks and rumours but until the kit is out and benched i dont believe any of it.

19. mackintosh

mackintosh Maha Guru

GPU:
    All I'm interested in is the price. I am certainly not going to pay €1000 for a 4080. We're neither in a pandemic run on hardware nor peak mining craze. Besides, there's a recession coming. Say hello to austerity.

GoldenTiger likes this.
  20. Maddness

Maddness Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080 Aorus Xtreme
    100% :D

TheDigitalJedi and tunejunky like this.