Ubisoft is cutting off online gameplay for 15 games, players will no longer have access to purchased DLC

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jul 5, 2022.

1. Voxvalve

Voxvalve Member

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX RTX3080
    There is an easy obvious solution.
    Make all DLC available to all players as compensation for disabling multiplayer services.
    Compile a version for single-player only with all DLC attached.

Now all they need to do is to have the game available for download and offline play.
    And they can even keep selling the offline single-player experience...

2. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    Man this is some epic BS!

I can understand shutting down servers hosting older games but in those cases companies should be forced to create a solution to create/use dedicated servers, this way people could continue to play the games, if they wanted.

As for the DLC part, if this is not considered a criminal action against legit buyers, then i fear for what companies are going to do in the future...

3. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Incompetent management on many levels.
    I hope they are sued into submission and learn a strong lesson.

I'm just about to start Far Cry 6 but will not purchase any DLC, simply in protest.
    I'll not be purchasing a Ubisoft game after this unless there is clear evidence of a large change in behaviour.

gridiron whirlw likes this.
  4. bemaniac

bemaniac Master Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090
    I get that steam is theoretically the same deal but I will not be purchasing games that include ubisoft launcher at any point in the future. I can kiss goodbye to beyond good and evil 2 sadly. Essentially the copy of Valhalla I just bought is going to be crippled in 15-20 years. I still play farcry 1!

5. vf

vf Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATi Radeon™
    This was when gaming and gaming servers/console matchmaking for PC went downhill.

I remember to a degree dedicated servers and hit registration were so much better 1999 - 2006. Until all the Cloud gaming crap became mainstream.

Ubisoft has now equalised with EA in my view. Not because of this but because they never fix their games. They say they're looking into it but never fix the problems. Then two years passes by as they say the same things. Script bots.

They'll fix the bugs that may screw up related to their stores or exploiting their stores within hours. Game breaking bugs for players? Forget about it.

Horus-Anhur likes this.
  6. fr33k

fr33k Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4080 VENTUS OC
    oh this is worse than anything EA has ever done. This is literally theft in my books. You paid for a product you expect to be able to play that product for the foreseeable future. I can understand shutting down MP when needed because thats usually in most EULA. But losing access to paid dlc without compensation is straight up theft.

7. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    Problem with piracy is the lack of updates.

8. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    You can always wait for the complete edition, with all the major updates...

Airbud likes this.
  9. suty455

suty455 Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 3090
    Look its pretty simple dont ever buy another Game from them again.

10. Pryme

Pryme Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800 SWFT
    Ubisoft strikes again. From this company at this point I'm not even mad... It is what I just expect from them, low level practices and incompetency all the time.

I already had my problems wiht them, like loosing progress on The Crew and The Crew 2 for some times and the support giving 0 help. The only other games I have from them is Far Cry 3 and Blood Dragon, but those 2 were bought on Steam, and then it was my first time learning that I need 2 launchers to run a game...

Brasky likes this.

11. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC AMP RTX 3070
    Unfortunately, this is what was hated when games were moved to even services like Steam. One does not own the game anymore. One now pays to have access to play the game. When access ends, it ends. DLCs are part of that equation too. DLCs need the base game or are useless so why would they be considered any different than the main game itself. They are not doing anything evil. Ubisoft is just putting into practice what paying for access means. Is a pill not easy to swallow. Sever space is just like real estate, land, there is just so much of it. Does not matter if is a VM or not, it still takes up space. That space costs the same whether it is on an ancient decrepit server or a brand new shiny one. Operating costs are homogenized over the entire structure. Besides, when this has happened before all that was ever removed was the online portions. Correct me if am wrong, but are not DLCs always regarding online content...never adding to the single player campaign.

fredgml7 likes this.
  12. Bladeforce

Bladeforce Active Member

GPU:
    nVidia Titan
    They joys of being screwed by games companies on pc. You all saw this coming years ago but just went with it instead of boycotting. C'est la vie i'll stick with linux

13. Silva

Silva Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual RX580 O4G
    This is why I don't buy new games, you don't actually own anything.
    Having no option to make your own servers and locking everything is a practice that started over 10 years ago, and it sucks.
    Now a game is disconnected literally dies, there's no way someone could pick up the code and reboot it.

14. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    This, is what happens when you allow games companies to list on the stock exchange, and the upper management have about as much power as a piece of dog poo on the heels of the major shareholders.

Y'see - shareholders can vote out CEO's, so, the CEO will do whatever they can to keep their job with all the perks.

This is why you have crazy headlines such as:

"BIG COMPANY ONLY MADE $100bn THIS YEAR IN PROFIT - SACKS 5,000 PEOPLE"

Share holders get a cut of the profits, so, if a company is not going to make as much money as they did the year before in profit, they will sack lots of people, or, reduce overhead in one way or another, to maintain the high profit margins

I really think I am one of just a handful of people on the planet that understand this: COMPANIES CAN SACK PEOPLE FOR LOW PROFITS - EVEN THOUGH THEY ARE MAKING A PROFIT.

Let me reword that again for you...A company is profitable...they are making more money that it costs to make the money they are making...their revenue is higher than the cost to run the company...yet, they still are allowed BY LAW to sack people, or, make any structural changes to their company even if they are making billions and trillions in profit, so long as it is not as much profit as they made last year or last quarter.

The stock exchanges all over the world have this written into law, that you WILL take ALL necessary actions to increase the profits of a company...no matter what.

ubi fp.jpeg

Last edited: Jul 6, 2022
  15. cucaulay malkin

cucaulay malkin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AD102/Navi21
    couldn't agree more
    gr wildlands was fantastic, you can just get that instead of breakpoint it's a better game
    I did enjoy valhalla, it's an excellent game up until it becomes dreadfully repetitive. still, I'd reccommend it on sale.
    fc series is a copy of a copy, I encourage people to get 3 and 5 and be done with it, you're not missing anything.

16. Agonist

Agonist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900xtx Black
    Plently of pirated games get updates. And usually can download just the update pieces and add them.

Its not 2010 anymore.

I have God of War with newest update with FSR 2.0. I refuse to buy the game until the arseholed Dev's add 32:9 to the game.

I only downloaded it to try since no demo.

17. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    I speak for everyone when I say...

FCK YOU UBISOFT!

18. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    *remembers gamespy and immediately has ptsd*

19. The concept aside, I don't play any of the 15 games mentioned nor do I believe I'd have any interest in the online mode of any of them.

Does anyone actually play these games today? Space Junkies is the most recent one if I understand right, and I never heard of it.

20. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    losing access to the online companety i can understand but losing access to DLC you bought?

Imagine what would happen if Steam or ANY online store account says they shutting down? image worlds rage over lose of the actual game people bought, Less the day that happen we all have access to too 10gbit connections and and 500-1000TB storage at realistic prices are thing then i see mass riots happen.

There is reason why i get console games on disc still they still make them on disc so i get them that way, sadly DLC dont tend to be on disc less it was GOTY edition with everything included and i dont remeber last time PC games actual had physical discs

I remeber no such time, then again I dont think ubisoft every really made game i cared about

fredgml7 likes this.