MSI AB / RTSS development news thread

Discussion in 'MSI AfterBurner Application Development Forum' started by Unwinder, Feb 20, 2017.

1. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

Both affect hybrid mode only.

pneumatic likes this.
  2. Unwinder

22H2 has been pushed on one of my PC so I had a chance to peek in it a bit deeper. While idle times reported in NtQuerySystemInformation(SystemProcessorPerformanceInformation/SystemProcessorPerformanceInformationEx) are wrong at the moment (so the CPU usages, because per logical processor CPU usage reported by each tool is nothing but inverted idle time), NtQuerySystemInformation(SystemProcessorIdleInformation) still reports expected and realistic idle time values per logical processor as before, so it is really easy and fast fix for existing implementations to port CPU usage sensor implementation to it.
    NtQuerySystemInformation(SystemProcessorPerformanceInformation/SystemProcessorPerformanceInformationEx) do not seem to be broken completely either, it starts reporting idle time closer to real values with increasing total (but not single processor?!) CPU load. So probably Microsoft donwscaled returned timings on purpose somehow (but it is not halted clocks and core frequency related), I still fail to see exact scaling logic they use.

\\Processor Information\% Processor Utility is also working alternative (scaled to base clock).

@ZeroStrat
    @Mumak

oIias and HARDRESET like this.
  3. Unwinder

All

Next version of OverlayEditor plugin will get two new commands in Layouts menu: Import and Export. These new commands are aimed to simplify the process of sharing your own custom OVL files with the community. Those who already created custom overlay layouts know, that overlay is defined by collection of multiple files: main layout file (OVL), custom embedded PNG image and optionally collection of independent text files if you use dynamic layers with <F> hypertext tag, defining a reference to external text File (that's what I use in my OverlayEditor related videos on Youtube to comment my actions in text form). So previously to share your work with others you needed to pack all dependent files with your OVL file, then user must extract those files to local .\Plugins\Client\Overlay folder. New Import and Export commands are aimed to simplify those actions. Export command will create special Overlay layout eXchange (OVX) file, containing OVL and all dependent files (such as embedded image) used in your layout. OVX is the only file you need to share now. Import command will open OVX, extract all required dependent files from it and install them into .\Plugins\Client\Overlay folder.

Haldi, oIias, SanokKule and 7 others like this.
  4. Unwinder

All

I decided to compile and upload beta 3 with changes mentioned in two posts above. RTSS itself is exactly the same build, just the OverlayEditor plugin got new features, so RTSS build number is the same as in the previous beta : 26934. There are two improvements inside OverlayEditor:

- CPU usage data sources in internal HAL were temporarily swithced to alternate NtQuerySystemInformation(SystemProcessorIdleInformation) source to bypass currently broken idle time reporting in NtQuerySystemInformation(SystemProcessorPerformanceInformation) in current 22H2 builds. Legacy CPU usage calculation implementation can be selected by power users via CpuUsageCalc config entry if necessary (for testing future (hopefully) fix in NtQuerySystemInformation(SystemProcessorPerformanceInformation) from Microsoft side). Also the same entry can be used to switch CPU usage to \Processor Information\% Processor Utility perofromance counter to exactly match task manager's readings (which is not recommended, because it is base clock frequency scaled there).
    - Added new Export and Import commands to Layouts menu and OVX overlay layout exchange file format support. More details about it are available in the previous post.
    - I've noticed that I erroneously included third party RTSS skin into distributive while performing compatibility skins testing here. It was not intended to be inside, it is now removed.

Grab it here:

https://download-eu2.guru3d.com/rtss/[Guru3D.com]-RTSSSetup734Beta3Build26934.rar

Stay tuned!

5. aufkrawall2

aufkrawall2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT Hellhound
    Thanks, can confirm that reported CPU usage values of OverlayEditor plugin are finally normal with Win 11 22H2. Funny thing is that on either page, Windows Task Manger can't show any meaningful CPU usage anymore at all.

Will also AB sensor polling get this workaround?

6. Unwinder

Yep, AB's internal monitoring module will also get similar workaround.

SanokKule and aufkrawall2 like this.
  7. Unwinder

8. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    I'm not sure, but

[Settings]
    Spawn=

does not seem to be respected under Aida64.cfg.user

9. Unwinder

Your customized AIDA/HwInfo data sources are the only things intended be inside the plugin's cfg.user files. All manual tweaks are located in .cfg files only.

HARDRESET likes this.
  10. Unwinder

Forgot to document a few more minor changes related to 4.6.5 beta 1:

- Fan control tweak documented in this post, which is allowing to bypass recent fixed fan control API changes on Polaris, is now forcibly enabled on such cards with newer drivers.
    - Added a few more new AMD/NVIDIA PCI DeviceIDs to hardware database
    - RTSS has been upgraded to the latest version (7.3.4 beta 3)
    - We switched update server to new URL in update checking system. Old update server location is reaching EOL in near future.

deathvirus, eGGroLLiO and HARDRESET like this.

11. HARDRESET

HARDRESET Master Guru

GPU:
    4090 ZOTAEA /1080Ti
    Thank you so much ,nice to see CPU usage again ! Insider builds can be a pain , cheers mate
    Edition Windows 11 Pro Insider Preview
    Version 22H2
    Installed on ‎6/‎15/‎2022
    OS build 25140.1000
    Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.25140.1000.0

Unwinder likes this.
  12. ryoohki360

ryoohki360 Active Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte/GTX660TI/2GIG
    Wow, thanks Unwinder it's working beautifully now! :)

Unwinder likes this.
  13. Dan Longman

Dan Longman Master Guru

GPU:
    4080 FE
  14. ultraex2003

ultraex2003 Master Guru

GPU:
    Amd 2x290 Cfx
    link also dont work for me

15. Unwinder

I asked Hilbert, download server is currently offline. So please have a bit of patience while it is restored.

Dan Longman likes this.

16. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    There was a power outage in the city of Dortmund in Germany, where the server data center is located. The host has been working deep into the night to get it all going again.

Links are working again.

17. HARDRESET

HARDRESET Master Guru

GPU:
    4090 ZOTAEA /1080Ti
    Edition Windows 11 Pro Insider Preview
    Version 22H2
    Installed on ‎6/‎22/‎2022
    OS build 25145.1000
    Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.25145.1000.0
    New build , all is well !

18. Unwinder

A few changes from the next RTSS beta:

o Improved compatibility with Vulkan applications, using multiple coexisting swapchains (e.g. Godot v4 editor)
    o Framerate limit is no longer displayed as blank field when using <Alt> + framerate limit field clicking functionality for some periodic refresh rate values, defined with arbitrary non-power-of-10 refresh rate denominator. Such periodic refresh rates are rounded to 3 decimal places

dr_rus, ParKur, Dan Longman and 4 others like this.
  19. CRTFTW

CRTFTW Active Member

GPU:
    radeon 380x X2
    Windows 11 seems to have broken scanline sync? I can't get it to engage in any game after I upgraded to Win 11. Reinstalled RTSS 7.3.3 just to be sure.

20. Unwinder

Nope, it works fine under Win11.

HARDRESET likes this.