AMD Radeon Software Adrenalin 22.5.2 driver download and discussion

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by inplayruns, May 24, 2022.

1. illusiveman

illusiveman Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 6700XT Ultra
    Wattman settings resetting after reboot was a common bug with RDNA1 GPUs. Not related to driver crashes or windows crashes...it would just not remember the custom settings after a system reset. It was fixed sometime in 2020 but the workaround before they fixed it was to disable fast startup mode in windows.

GamerNerves likes this.
  2. Cryio

Cryio Master Guru

GPU:
    Nitro+ 7900 XTX
    Lol no. FreeSync and Enhanced Sync are technologies that work at total opposites end of the spectrum. If you're using FreeSync, you DON'T want to use Enhanced Sync and viceversa.

lextra2 likes this.
  3. Krteq

Krteq Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 3080 WC
    Lol... NO!

Those techs complement each other.

FreeSync is active in Adaptive-Sync/FreeSync range and Enhanced Sync is used above that range, simple as F*

HD64G and GamerNerves like this.
  4. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    It was happening to me when i had rx580 wattman reset settings on boot. Later on it was fixed, partly.

5. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    When you use a frame limiter like most of us are enhanced sync isnt really useful. Ofc besides blackacreens it should better be left disabled.

Cryio and AsiJu like this.
  6. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    By clearing the BIOS, and changing slots of the card, you are forcing Windows to do a full, clean redetection of the hardware. It will throw out any and all pre-existing settings and create all new key entries. It's not a wasted diagnostic step. The alternative is a fresh Windows install.

I have the very same card as you, and I use it on my Asus Crosshair VIII Hero Wifi, and I have absolutely no issues running PCIe 4.0, and also currently on 1.2.0.7. The big difference here is you are on B550 and I'm on X570. REBAR/SAM enabled. If Wattman is resetting your card on reboot, then Windows is changing the detection of the device, and Wattman is seeing it as "new" and resetting settings. See the reference to the RDNA1 bug, and I would make sure you have the current VBIOS on the card. (I don't remember if there was an early VBIOS update for Sapphire)

In this case, I would go into the CMOS and Load System defaults, and then reapply any REQUIRED settings changes, and see if you can get things working normally. I would also try a fresh OS install. Out of curiosity, is your PSU old?

Despite Asus' marketing, the TUF line of motherboards has always been a PITA in regards to features, and is a midgrade board that they make attractive with the long warranty. If buying Asus, ALWAYS go for their ROG boards for no-headache setups.

7. Krteq

Krteq Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 3080 WC
    Yeah, I'm also using framelimit inside my panel FS range, so no V-Sync or E-sync required here. I just wanted to correct him

Undying likes this.
  8. GamerNerves

GamerNerves Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 5700 XT Nitro+
    Thanks for your explanation. I have only a ten months old quality PSU (required profile information).
    I don't agree that we should go for ROG products, many TUF products are also high quality and my particular board has excelled in reviews.

So just to be clear, resetting BIOS to factory defaults in BIOS or the upgrade I did to a new BIOS version (which did reset settings) do or do not count, since why otherwise I should remove the battery? I would imagine both fulfill the same thing as removing the battery?
    I actually encountered this issue after a fresh installation of Windows 11, though not immediately I recall. Before that I ran Windows 11 upgraded straight from 10 without this issue.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2022
  9. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    My opinion about TUF boards comes from my experience as a member of Asus Customer Care and having to support users with those boards. I hope their quality has improved, but I've always found them somewhat quirky in some implementation, whether stability or with memory. Plus BIOS updates come slower to that board historically. But if you like them, then more power to ya. :)

As for resetting things, if you can get into the BIOS, just have it Load System Defaults. This will clear the CMOS and load up new tables. Then set up your memory as you desire, and set up PCIe Lane speeds and whether you want REBAR enabled. Since your BIOS is recent, fTPU will be enabled by default.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2022
    GamerNerves likes this.
  10. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    To me that sounds like the system devices were installed correctly this time, you are supposed to get PCI-E root ports / complex instead of pci-pci bridge or such.

You can limit framerate with Radeon driver itself (or RTSS) for games that do not have a cap, rendering enhanced sync somewhat redundant.

I'm not saying it shouldn't be fixed but given surely vast majority of users run one of the following:
    - uncapped fps, vsync off
    - vsync on (capped or uncapped fps)
    - capped fps, freesync on

it is evident why enhanced sync is a low priority fix.
    Also AMD may not be able to reproduce it consistently enough to fix it / find the root cause.
    Or the root cause is outside their scope (game problem with specific hw / sw combo or such).

Nvidia state in their known issues that not all of them may be driver bugs in fact.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2022

11. lextra2

lextra2 Member

GPU:
    AMD Radeon RX 5700
    Lol...NO!
    He is 100% correct, because enhanced sync+freesync causes stuttering.
    You want to use ingame vsync (instead of enhanced sync) or ingame fps limiter. Very good video

Last edited: Jun 12, 2022
    Cryio likes this.
  12. Cryio

Cryio Master Guru

GPU:
    Nitro+ 7900 XTX
    I'll agree that in theory, that should be a valid way to go. Not THE WAY to go, mind you. In practice, going from FreeSync range where the monitor itself dynamically adjusts its refresh rate to game content to jerking off to hard locked max refresh in order to start the driver's Enhanced sync is extremely jarring. Frametimes? What's that, it feels like a black hole is opening when it switches from dynamic refresh to Enhanced Sync and back.

It's a horrible experience. So in practice, either you don't have a FreeSync monitor and you use Enhanced Sync SOMETIMES (because Vsync isn't always a horrible implementation) or you just use Borderless Fullscreen which doesn't need Vsync at all (Vsync is used instead natively from Windows's desktop compositor: WDDM). Or you have FreeSync monitor and you cap your FPS (preferably) beneath (or worse, at) the monitor's refresh rate, because WHY WOULDN'T YOU?

TL;DR: What you said sounds good, doesn't work.

13. zeusola

zeusola Active Member

GPU:
    6700 xt

I was getting wattman has reset clocks when turning the computer on, no actual crashes.
    If you turn 'off fast startup' under the windows power settings, change settings that are currently unavailable, then untick fast startup and it should stop clock resets on boot,

GamerNerves likes this.
  14. Jankes

Jankes Member

GPU:
    RX 6600 XT Gaming X
    Watch Dogs 2 randomly closes every 10-15 minutes with these.
    Went back to 22.5.1 and all good.

15. psyxeon

psyxeon Guest

GPU:
    Saffi 6800xt
    My previous build Nvidia 1080ti + 5900x + 32G ballistics didn't have any problem with GTA at night. So it must be the new gpu/driver 6800xt + 5900x + 32G I upgraded the gpu and now i get less fps lol

Do you have the same issue with Gta at night (DX11)?

16. Eddamoo

Eddamoo Guest

GPU:
    AMD RX5700
    Have you tried turning Water Quality to Normal? I suffered some huge frame dips at night especially and this was a major culprit (despite having zero water in sight!)

17. psyxeon

psyxeon Guest

GPU:
    Saffi 6800xt
    Yes!!! It does help, but it does not fix the issue. I race everyday in Gta Online and its very annoying to get fps drops in every turn. (It occurs only at night, after 7pm, looking at the city)

I do not have draw call bottleneck (None of my cpu cores are at 100%)

18. GamerNerves

GamerNerves Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 5700 XT Nitro+
    @illusiveman @zeusola It very much seems disabling fast startup in Windows fixed the problem of Wattman settings resetting. Thank you very much! I earlier disabled fast boot in BIOS, but that doesn't have an impact.

steviejay, illusiveman and zeusola like this.
  19. zeusola

zeusola Active Member

GPU:
    6700 xt
    It was happening to me, lucky someone had the answer, I just googled it :p A shame though, I have an NVMe and have to turn off all the fast boot options :(, still boots up pretty quick.

20. illusiveman

illusiveman Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 6700XT Ultra
    So that bug from 2019 is back ? Report it to AMD....I would but I can't reproduce it.