Signal but no image

Discussion in 'Computer Monitor Forum' started by Abilio_KID, Jun 5, 2022.

1. Abilio_KID

Abilio_KID Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1070 Armor OC
    Before anyone starts calling me a dinossaur, yes, I'm and old guy using old tech...

I still use, as my main monitor, an old Samsung SyncMaster 2343NW. It's only VGA and is connected trough a DP>VGA adapter to an MSI GTX 1070 OC. I know the monitor is ancient but it has a nice 2048x1152 resolution that I got used to for so many years.

One of these days, out of nowhere, it decided to show no image at all, just a blinking blue led. At first I thought either the mainboard or the GPU had decided to go on permanent vacations and ruin my "work from home job" that helps me pay my bills. The thing is, the PC boots fine. Windows starts and does its usual sounds and all... but I get no picture.
    So, tried the usual things like disconnecting everything, rebooting, even using different cables and a spare Asus VW193D (1140x900) that I had in the house. Everything works with the spare monitor, even with adapter (tried 2 different ones, all work). Heck, with both monitors connected to PC, Windows sees both and all seems fine... except no image on the primary one.

Something I noticed: If I disconnect the VGA cable from the DP>VGA adapter, the monitor shows "No signal, check cable". If, instead, I remove the VGA from the monitor, same message. Looks like the monitor works, as it checks the connection, but then doesn't show anything at all.

This started happening a couple days ago and eventually, after messing with cables, it randomly work normally. Until I rebooted next day and so far nothing.

Anyone knows what may be the problem? Nothing changed on PC (in terms of hardware) to make this happen.
    Time for a new monitor?

Thanks in advance.

2. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    Sounds like the monitor needs a replacement. Probably the tube.

3. Abilio_KID

Abilio_KID Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1070 Armor OC
    Tube? On a LCD?
    Anyway, the monitor worked fine the first couple of times the problem randomly disappeared. When it works, it works. But the problem comes back the next day. Today I couldn't yet make it work. Luckly, I finished my current projects yesterday (but have new ones tomorrow...)
    I also tried connecting it to a notebook and it acts the same way. Windows sees it but has no image. As a last measure, started a live linux session (from an USB pen) and same thing.

What can I replace it with? I need at least 24'', 2K resolution (4K would be nice but my card won't handle it for gaming). I'm not too picky for gaming but I do work with CAD. I need something to last for a long while.

4. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    driver board has failed.

5. Abilio_KID

Abilio_KID Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1070 Armor OC
    Dang... alternatives?

6. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    Viewsonic isn't a bad choice.

7. Abilio_KID

Abilio_KID Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1070 Armor OC
    I'm very picky and I always try to buy something to last me for many years. Sadly, these days I doubt they'll last that much.
    I'm confused between going 1440p with higher Hz or 4K with only 60Hz. I work but I also play sometimes. While for work it's handy to have more desktop space, gaming at 4K is hard with the 1070... hmm... Would playing 1080p streched to 4K be too blury?

8. Abilio_KID

Abilio_KID Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1070 Armor OC
    I need to buy a new one asap. Today I'm working (from home) on the smaller 19" Asus...
    I was going to opt for a 4K but then I'd have to play some games in 1080 stretched. Since it's a 2x ratio, I'm not sure it would blur too much the image. A 2k with better Hz sounds nice too but would be a bigger resolution for the 1070 GPU to handle too.
    I hate to make these decisions, specially when money doesn't grow on trees.

9. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
  10. Abilio_KID

Abilio_KID Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1070 Armor OC
    Thanks for the link (had already seen it in the front page) but that monitor doesn't make much sense to me.
    It's 4K but my sysytem probably can't hande it (only in 2D) and I won't be upgrading any soon (if any...). Besides, it's curved and too big for my desk. And why is it marketed as "gaming" if it's only 60Hz? Also, I can't find it near my location at all...
    Anyway, I searched a bit in a the couple major stores here in Portugal, and I found one that I decided to order. It's probably not a great monitor but we'll see: LG 29WP60G-B.
    It's 29" WFHD 21:9, with 75Hz, FreeSync and HDR10. Only 2560x1080, so I lose some vertical pixels but gain a few horizontaly. Gives me more area for CAD apps and the 1080 lets me still play games without FPS issues. Some older ones will eventually display black bars on the sides but I don't think it's going to be a problem. 75Hz is a bit better than the 60Hz I'm used to. Freesync and HDR10 (wich, from what I've read isn't that good on this monitor) are things that I don't care much about.
    Mind you, I use the PC for everything, not just a specific thing. So the monitor is not just for work, nor just for gaming, and, being an old guy, I don't care about fancy stuff. ;)
    It wasn't too expensive but I'll post any possible bad feedback I may have with it.

11. Andrewtst

Andrewtst Master Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 4090
    Suggest you get some 1440p monitor which is 2560 x 1440 resolution, best is 27". This is Wide monitor.
    https://www.lg.com/us/monitors/lg-27gp850-b-gaming-monitor.

If you want try out Ultrawide, get in resolution of 3440 x 1440, best is 34", 34" is 27" in Ultrawide.
    https://www.lg.com/us/monitors/lg-34gp950g-b-gaming-monitor.

Don't go for 4K as your GPU is not make for handling 4K in gaming.

Also suggest not going for 1080p as you may feel less sharpness or working space due to your existing monitor resolution which is already higher than 1080p. Also 1080p look not that sharp in 27".

If you only want 24", then probably you only have option of 1080p as very less monitor in 1440p for 24". It will look a bit small also in 100% scaling for 1440p in 24".

27" for 16:9 aspect ratio wide actually is the sweet spot of monitor size and 1440p is the nicest resolution for Windows. (34" for 21:9 aspect ratio Ultrawide, 49" for 32:9 aspect ratioSuper Ultrawide)

Last edited: Jun 7, 2022
  12. Abilio_KID

Abilio_KID Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1070 Armor OC
    You guys have to excuse me but many of you don't seem to completely read what others post.
    Like I said in my last post, I already bought a new monitor...
    Besides, I measured the old and the new monitor and they're almost the same size in height. The new 1080 is about 1 cm shorter, so it compensates for the 72 less pixels.
    I thank you for the replies but I'm just waiting for the new one to arrive.

13. Andrewtst

Andrewtst Master Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 4090
    You said you decide to order, decide to order not means already order.

Enjoy your new monitor soon.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2022