France bans English gaming tech jargon in push to preserve language purity

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by Horus-Anhur, May 31, 2022.

1. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC AMP RTX 3070
    US does nothing to enforce the use of any language. Bends over backwards to print national and state election ballots in foreign languages. Ellis Island and the requirement for the need to learn English in any form went out the window long ago. One now has the opportunity to become a naturalized citizen without the need or requirement of learning English. Funniest thing to my ears to hear any language being spoken to be interrupted with the use of a foreign word and then continue on. Just is accepted and continue on. But if a word does exist in the language and is not used, shame on the individual. That is how languages begin to die. Grandparents spoke three languages other than English, but my uncles only speak two, English and Estonian. Father at one time forgot all his Estonian and only spoke German. Great Grandmother was told she was disappointed in my grandparents for allowing such a thing to happen. Cannot blame the French Government, their intentions are based in preservation. How boring this world would be if all spoke the same language. Innuits have several words that describe snow. English has one. English is cumbersome with the need to use adjectives and not individual words for the same substance. We all can learn and benefit.

2. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    What puzzles me is that France is one of the top tourist destinations in the world. You think they would welcome the revenue and jobs it creates for their tourism industry. Would be funny if tourists replied back "you want my money, speak in fcking English":. :D

3. Horus-Anhur

Horus-Anhur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 XT
  4. stormy

stormy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Pulse RX 7600
    Might want to look up the Quebec language laws.

5. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Oh I do know them, coincidentally I've been to Quebec 14 times already. One might accuse me of being francophile.

6. CalculuS

CalculuS Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660Ti
    If an obvious tourist is asking me for directions in English I will reply in English. What kind of nonsense is that? This is isn't some immigration type of problem where people go and live in France and then refuse to learn the language.

7. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Rather!

France certainly have got worse over the past few decades by the looks of it.
    Its over 20 years since I last went to the South and it was always very pleasant.
    Those who could speak English did, those that couldnt helped guide us as much as they could.
    We were never shunned and only have good memories.

8. Airbud

Airbud Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 5600XT
    what y'all be talkin bout?...

oh yeah!, what he said....:D

9. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    Freedom fries.......that's all I'm saying. Lol

Airbud likes this.
  10. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    Also I suspect they are not honest about motivation: any jargon is a niche thing being understand only by few - involved - people. I do not see the point of non-gamers to understand gamers. If you are not a gamer but want to understand their jargon - learn it.

11. Truder

Truder Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6700XT Nitro+
    It's perspective, you can't expect people to speak a foreign language otherwise that's just being conceited. You can't also expect people to have the same principles as you, particularly in another culture.

12. CalculuS

CalculuS Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660Ti
    Nah mate, absolute bullshit.

This has nothing to do with culture and everything with being a dick.

13. Horus-Anhur

Horus-Anhur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 XT
    Let's consider the mess that France did to the English language, and how some people tried to fix it.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2022
  14. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    Ok, this has been a long time coming America, there a U in colour, ok!....oh and it's pronounced Jag You Are.........and not Jag Waar....and you didn't need to be in the navy to be using 22:00 as opposed to 10:00pm. Lol

I'm sorry but someone had to say it, this could not be allowed to go on. Lol

15. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC AMP RTX 3070
    Ok, then there needs to be corrections to the plural forms of some nouns too while we are at it:
    • Mouse - Mice | House - Hice
    • Goose - Geese | Moose - Meese
    Then what about all the different pronunciations of "ough"
    • Thought (taught)
    • Through (threw)
    • Tough (bluff)
    American english is a hodge podge of a little bit of this and a little bit of that from lots of languages. So how the English pronounce and spell has no baring on how we Americans pronounce and spell. We are the poster child of how to borrow words and make it our own or just straight out borrow the spelling and make the pronunciation our own.

You go to the lavatory we go to the restroom or bathroom. You call it a water closet. We call it a commode or toilet. I say we should just refer to it as the great white telephone or a bodily effluence receptacle be done with it.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2022

16. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    I am curious what a gamedev from France - @XenthorX - thinks about jargon and purity of language

XenthorX likes this.
  17. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    As well as the English language deriving from many older cultures here and abroad, the English dictionary varies according to words in popular use today.
    Whether made up as jargon or devised according to a theme.
    There is no standard other than the current dictionary itself.

And words in use for millennia have varied their spelling.

18. I don't see too much of an issue with the words mentioned. "jeu vidéo de compétition" is more descriptive and looks more professional in a newspaper or non-gaming business scene compared to "eSports", and doesn't have ambiguity as to how to write it (eSports, e-sports, E-Sports, E-sports, electronic sports, competitive gaming, etc).

19. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Suprim X
    Nice topic ! First of all, no one is forcing anyone to do anything, it's not China here. L'Académie Française dates back to 1634 (according to wikipedia) and its sole purpose is to preserve the modernity, eloquence and elegance of the french language, notably they're releasing yearly an updated dictionary with new additions.

I can't speak for everyone, but i do appreciate that this effort is being done, and it's sometimes an opportunity for great new words or expressions to emerge. Never change the fact that most people will use the english mainstream equivalent anyway.

mbk1969, fantaskarsef and alanm like this.
  20. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    You know i was having a laugh right? Lol

I'm from Scotland, our accents and dialects are so mixed they make the American accent sound like a page ftom a Shakespeare play.. Lol

mbk1969 likes this.