Review: ASUS GeForce RTX 3080 Noctua OC

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, May 23, 2022.

1. fry178

fry178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 2080S WB
    @AuerX
    not really, just not too common, as the rads are usually pretty big, thus not cheap.
    i started with passive almost 10y ago.

@ruthan
    lol, the cooler can be 4 slots, and it will still cost less than rad/res/pump/copper block, not sure why you bring up the size of the heatsink for cost comparison.

the facts don't change ,even if we don't like them .
    my system is inaudible at low load, as i do a lot without anything else making "noise" in the room, and when gaming etc, i have speakers or headset ,so even the little sound from airflow is low.
    i have about 2h every day between coming home and going to bed, won't waste time to take pics to post.
    believe it or don't, won't make a difference to me.

most liquid cooling shops carry other (passive) rads (even bigger towers), but this was the best perf/cost one, and i like that it holds almost 1gal.

https://www.newegg.com/zalman-liquid-cooling-system/p/N82E16835118111

2. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    Then you simply buy any other card on the market.

The entire goal here is compact in length and super quiet operation. That's not possible with a 2 slot card, as that means 15mm thick fans which have to spin fast to compensate for the lack of airflow and pressure. A 3 slot card would mean a 10mm thick heatsink which isn't enough surface area to run quiet, even with 25mm thick fans.

Last edited: May 27, 2022
    fry178 likes this.
  3. tunejunky

tunejunky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx/7900xt
    if one of my friends or family wanted a theme gaming build on a budget (before fall) i would get this.
    i'd grab one of my old beige Antec cases from the garage (pre- SATA) and go to town with my Dremel tool cutting away all the old drive cages and whatnot (and also to make a window) and paint the interior light olive. for the price of a (good) aio i can have big air and Noctua everywhere. and w/modern mobos no real need for off-board storage so just need to pick cpu and chipset.

lol i guess i like this:oops::oops:

4. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    Are you sure you don't need a writer editor? This one was hard to read lol

AlmondMan likes this.

5. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    How bout Noctua just finally start producing GPU Coolers?

and before anyone cries about they will use there "puke" brown colors. Most people dont rats as about color of there fan because it inside the case it has 1 job cool things down, what is color scheme is irrelevant

6. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    You know the current market is about glass side panels?

Noctua has to budge some time.

7. fry178

fry178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 2080S WB
    biggest problem with air cooling cpu/gpu is that you're dumping 100-500w of heat in the case, with coolers re-breathing hot air.

even the worst performing aio can be setup as exhaust, removing a lot of heat, lowering temps for all other parts as well (chipset/vrms/ram/drives).
    in most scenarios, my (binned) 2080S performs betyer/close to my friends (air cooled) ti, be questioned why he spend 50% more.

there is a reason why lots of things are watercooled, and its not for noise..

8. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    And? again what does it matter the purpose of the fan isnt to "look" nice to appease some person and who is to say what current market is? that depend on who you ask. every person i know that build pc dont care one bit for "side" windows or the RGB fad . just likr next person might know people that will only use side windows. cause they want those lights.

9. fry178

fry178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 2080S WB
    @tsunami231
    and yet, its not up to you to be the "benchmark" of what ppl like or dont like.
    just because something has a function, doesnt mean it has to look "shitty".

anyone in your family with kids? how about you arguing with them that the girl gets a blue bike,
    and the boy gets a pink pony, and see how irrelevant "looks" are..

TheDeeGee likes this.
  10. r3claim3r

r3claim3r Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Ti Super
    Per my recollection, "Enjoy the silence" (by Depeche Mode) was released in 1990.

11. AuerX

AuerX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Militech Apogee
    I like air.

[​IMG]

Undying and Maddness like this.
  12. ruthan

ruthan Master Guru

GPU:
    G1070 MSI Gaming
    I expected some catch and there it is some ugly and unpractical external radiator, which make also this possible..

Well, i actually checked situation on the market, when i searched for new videocards.. and if need something 2 slot.. you cant buy anything better than Geforce 3060ti, unless you will really downgrade you noise requirements.. and will buy cards from companies know for bad cooling like Gigabyte, Inno3D, Palit, Zotac .. MSI, Asus,Evga does have not anything like that on market.

13. fry178

fry178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 2080S WB
    @ruthan
    the argument was about passive rads, not the looks.
    for me, form follows after function.

the 1st gen V2 has about 1.5 qm surface area and about 2l coolant, so no, no problem cooling everything .

i dont care what others deem "silent", for me its sitting next to the case (2-3ft) and hear anything when using it for browsing/movies/low load.
    even the 8dba arctic fans are audible to me, so i usually throttle them down to 1/3 rpm below 45*C.

you can get a card and swap the cooler for a block/pump combo from alphacool.
    if they don't have one, they offer to make one, possibly even for free), if card is common.

14. AuerX

AuerX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Militech Apogee
    Funny, I dont hear a thing at idle on air

15. fry178

fry178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 2080S WB
    sure, what about med/high load :D

16. stampedeadam

stampedeadam Member

GPU:
    2080ti sc
    I would so much like a 3080ti/3090ti with this cooler.

17. AuerX

AuerX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Militech Apogee
    No issues, the 3080FTW3 barely ever goes above 65C at 50% fan speed, 1950MHz at 900mV undervolted.
    I dont wear headphones and I am sound sensitive.
    The 5800X has a Big Shuriken 3 with a Gentle Typhoon on it and it spins up to a pleasant wooosh every now and then, not distracting at all.

All in all, compact, quiet and easy to clean off with a blower. I dont freak out over every spec of dust so cleanup happens when I feel like it.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 4, 2022
    Maddness likes this.
  18. fry178

fry178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 2080S WB
    lol, no wonder, ftw and open rig
    closed case is different story.

19. ruthan

ruthan Master Guru

GPU:
    G1070 MSI Gaming
    That is bare minimum, nothing to write to home about.

20. AuerX

AuerX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Militech Apogee
    Of course not, but I responded to the post above me.