AMD Announces Ryzen 7000 - passing 5.5 GHz 15% Single Thread perf Increase - RDNA2

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, May 23, 2022.

1. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    AMD, you have my interest.

Just make the damn platform affordable because i don´t want to sell my kidney for a new CPU+MB+RAM combo...

tunejunky likes this.
  2. joshk

joshk Member Guru

GPU:
    Asus Tuf 4090
    If 15% single is true, and no 24 core, then after current 5950x, my next CPU will be from Intel.

3. DonMigs85

DonMigs85 Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 3070 Ventus
    The performance uplift is a bit underwhelming, I suspect a 5800X3D might come close or even exceed this in some games. Probably won't upgrade from my regular 5800X until Socket AM6 if I can help it lol

4. moab600

moab600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY 4090 XLR8 24GB
    Unless AMD want to bait intel to reveal 13 gen before they fully reveal Ryzen 7000, it IPC seems to be barely improved.

I wonder how that's possible after the amazing Zen 3 and 5800X3D that won the gaming crown, i think AMD hiding the real value to create a big shocker later on.

Fediuld and tunejunky like this.

5. DonMigs85

DonMigs85 Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 3070 Ventus
    Yeah I wonder if they're still using a 4-wide frontend instead of going to 6 like Intel. Maybe doubling the L2 cache ate up a lot of die space.

6. DonMigs85

DonMigs85 Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 3070 Ventus
    15% is still decent, it's like going from Zen+ to Zen 2 and still a lot better than going from Sandy Bridge to Ivy Bridge or Haswell to Skylake.

GREGIX and tunejunky like this.
  7. Crazy Joe

Crazy Joe Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090/24GB
    Just curious, because I'm considering upgrading my 3800X to a 5900X, do you need any special cooling to keep it in check or is it reasonable?
    I am currently using a Scythe Fuma2 to keep my 3800X cool, and I was wondering if that would suffice for the 5900X as well or it I'd need to go for something more extreme. I like the Fuma2 because it is quite good for the noise level it creates.

8. tunejunky

tunejunky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx/7900xt

umm you mean Meteor Lake

there is only one fab (in the world) that can make the 3D cache and it's booked until spring with Genoa 3D.
    after that - it's on like Donkey Kong.

Maddness and Valken like this.
  9. tunejunky

tunejunky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx/7900xt
    it's fine unless you want to do serious OC

10. moab600

moab600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY 4090 XLR8 24GB
    This time, intel is competitive as well as AMD, hence why AMD really need to top Zen 3 pretty well.
    I still think they are waiting for the right moment to fire all the cylinders which probably will happen closer to launch date.

pegasus1 and tunejunky like this.

11. tunejunky

tunejunky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx/7900xt
    this is far more than ZEN 3 shrunk.

criticism is fine, but let's not go jumping the gun while AMD is playing cute by being coy.

everything in the Computex presentation was based on lower power ZEN 4.
    getting those kind of specs while at 35-85 watts is crazy good.
    the high power SKUs are the ones directly comparable to Intel, so for the lower power (& Lower Cost)
    sku's to mix it up with them like this is amazeballs.

add to the mix there's an iGPU which will slay ARC/Xe AIB cards - so you can either "just" play @ 1080p on high OR wait (for finances) to buy a GPU - at no extra cost - and again these are lower in the line CPUs.

the high power SKUs are the ones that will wipe the floor with AL at similar power ratings.

Valken likes this.
  12. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Very nice but changing cpu/mobo/ram will most likely cost more than €1000 so I prefer buying a new GPU instead which will matter more in games.

13. mackintosh

mackintosh Maha Guru

GPU:
    Looks like I'm sitting this one out, which is good, because I really need a new GPU.

Fediuld likes this.
  14. Crazy Joe

Crazy Joe Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090/24GB
    Nothing extreme, just PBO based overclocking.

tunejunky likes this.
  15. Reddoguk

Reddoguk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090 GB GamingOC
    I too will stick to Ryzen 5XXX series for another year or two. I think personally 15% is not worth the upgrade for me.

Maybe Zen 4+ will do better but Zen 5 will be getting close to 0nm so i don't know where we go after say 3nm.

It's gonna get real tough to keep the electrons from flying off in all directions. Maybe that will be the next big breakthrough. Keeping balls of light going where you want them to. ^^

Fediuld likes this.

16. cucaulay malkin

cucaulay malkin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AD102/Navi21
    and ddr5 I guess too ? right ?

5.5GHz boost on low power zen4 skus ? I thought at the end of the presentation it was said they showed a 16-core engineering sample

generally speaking,if 5000 sku to same 7000 sku increase is 15% single thread,which is probably the whole premise of comparing single thread performance,then 15% is disappointing if you factor in the new mobo and expensive ddr5 it'll require
    frankly I'd rather shell out the money for 5800x3d,not worry about new boards and ddr5

then again,what is intel going to make that's gonna be really worth upgrading from 5950x

5800X3D.png

why not 5800x3d

Last edited: May 23, 2022
    Valken and mackintosh like this.
  17. Kool64

Kool64 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070
    as big of a fan of AMD as I am I'm with you on this one.

Fediuld and Matt26LFC like this.
  18. suty455

suty455 Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 3090
    One thing we are all not seeing or perhaps we are, that 5.5ghz was running pretty consistantly....whilst playing a game so it was not peaking for a second and then dropping off it was running at that speed, so what speeds do they peak at i wonder? The side by side with the Intel chip was very telling, the Intel chip was blown away, currently in shorter tests Intel does better as they can peak for a minute or two until they have to dial back which is when the extra cores of the slower running AMD makes its sense, with this chip however nope it just up and kicks ass big time, am looking forward to it, I think AMD has learnt to keep its goodies under wraps until launch day.

Undying, tunejunky and Fediuld like this.
  19. Fediuld

Fediuld Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD 5700XT AE
    4CU for the decoding mainly not for graphics.

20. Valken

Valken Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Forsa 1060 3GB Temp GPU
    I agree with everything you said but finding a 5800X3D is like looking for hens teeth!!!