NVIDIA Fined $5.5 Million Fine As it did not Disclose 2018 Crypto Revenue

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, May 9, 2022.

1. cucaulay malkin

cucaulay malkin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AD102/Navi21
    lol wait until they fine them for 2021 Jensen will have to pawn the jacket.

2. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    5.5mill only they probably made hundred upon hundred of mill in that time frame if you your fine company, fine them equal to ammount they generated from doing in first place, they will stop trying to cheat and hidden things, cause it will no longer be profitable

carnivore likes this.
  3. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC AMP RTX 3070
    Do retail outlets force the customers to disclose how they are going to be using the product? The numbers were not wrong or the fine would have been about a material misstatement. All this is about is that they did not have a footnote disclosure and/or mention it in the MD&A section. Failure to disclose the economic impact the mining industry had on their sales; was it increasing and was it just a blip or going to be an ongoing serious segment supporting their sales figures. They took a calculated risk by not mentioning it because it was a grey area of whether or not there was a need to have such a disclosure. That is why the slap on the wrist fine and was not more serious. Nvidia did not audit themselves.

This is not so much a story about Nvidia failing to include a disclosure but a comment about the independent auditors they utilize. All 10Qs and Ks are verified by such auditors before they are submitted to the SEC. Obviously it was not a serious enough offense for the auditors to render a qualified opinion. So why all the nonsense? This is just a click-bate article.

Last edited: May 9, 2022
  4. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    5,5 millions?
    What's that, a fine for ants?

Silva likes this.

5. Yogi

Yogi Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6800
    Sorry, I had forgotten CMP wasn't released at the time.

As for Gaming showing a massive uptick in a short space of time it's obviously not stable and any investment there is (to me anyway) high risk.

Thanks for trying to explain it too me, but I still just think this lawsuit is based on stupid business rules that make no sense and serve no real purpose. Outside of making pointless paperwork.

I'd say professional work being performed on gaming hardware makes up a surprising amount of sales per generation. Any professional that requires good computing performance and doesn't require the support that quadro (or whatever it's called now) is going to buy gaming as the professional equivalents are ludicrously expensive for what they are. If you thought scalper prices on GPUs were bad.... I've been issued a gaming laptop at the last few places I've worked.

Airbud likes this.
  6. Great White Shark

Great White Shark Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 1070 Jetstream
    About time Nividia should have been punished! For their Crypto crap!

7. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    People who invest in Nvidia are generally rational investors who want a safe, predictable place to invest their money in. They would not be happy to see the company base its sales or growth estimates on a volatile, highly unpredictable segment of the market (crypto). They may appreciate the profit generated from crypto as a side benefit, but ultimately they are investing in a tech company with certain goals, expectations. Thats likely the reason Nvidia tried to hide this from their investors (if intentional).

8. FookDat

FookDat Guest

GPU:
    6950XT RD 2889/2498
    $5.5 million... the execs spend more than that at lunch...

9. Catspaw

Catspaw Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 1080/8GB
    While 5.5 Mill is a "slap on the wrist" as already pointed out, this does not limit shareholders ability to sue nVidia themselves.
    SEC just got their cut basicly.

10. Moonbogg

Moonbogg Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti@2.1GHz
    Yeah, and I can't wait to see Nvidia lie about it for this last mining boom. I guess they will claim their 3000 series sold out constantly to gamers even at hugely inflated prices, but oddly enough, hardly any gamers ended up with one.

11. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    No, it's a fine for aphids that the ants farm.

Jensen wipes his ass with more than $5.5M USD. Even as a cost of "business" (calculated cost for lying/cheating/doing illegal BS in general) this is beyond a joke.

Whoever handed down that fine is basically saying nVidia are above the law.

12. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    I agree it wont impact their overall company profit much but this should improve matters because...

The fine is equivalent to 3,666 3090 FE cards @retail of $1,500.
    If profit is 1/3 of that, they are losing the profit on 11,000 3090 cards.
    This impacts whether the cards are worth releasing or their pricing in the future to keep profit margins up, reducing their competitive edge.

It also reduces the companies % profit margin which they are very proud of, catching investors attention.
    And NVidia wont want to be seen as a liability for future issues like this, they do not want a repeat.