This is the Best PC Gaming Board on the Internet

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by BlindBison, Apr 26, 2022.

1. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    Coming to these forums from anywhere on the internet:

[​IMG]

Undying, 386SX, DannyD and 7 others like this.
  2. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    I was able to see original trilogy only at age of 20+smth... I can imagine I would be much more devoted fan if I was exposed in childhood days...

PS As for this thread I was thinking it is about some fancy hardware.

PPS I have only one account on another tech forum - Win-Raid.

386SX, BlindBison and TheDigitalJedi like this.
  3. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    Don't use SLI.

4. BlindBison

BlindBison Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    This is a really well laid out comment, thanks — really makes one understand what it was like at the time. And yeah, Lando was handled very well imo, such great films.

Airbud and TheDigitalJedi like this.

5. BlindBison

BlindBison Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    That gif is glorious lol

6. BlindBison

BlindBison Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    There are several things to try and it can be game dependent.

If you’re using traditional V-Sync and not adaptive sync (g-sync/free sync) then stutter will often manifest when the framerate drops beneath monitor refresh so the solution can be either to lower heavy graphics settings, half refresh v-sync, or raising your fps limit slightly if it’s been set too low (I’m referring to the BlurBuster’s low lag Vsync guide for that last point — capping fps in conjunction with Vsync can reduce input delay but cap too low and it’ll cause stuttering as the back buffer isn’t getting filled in time).

If you’re using g-sync or free sync and the game is stuttering then there are a few things to try.

One is to test out the various low lag modes in the Nvidia control panel (e.g. I made a thread some time ago about how ULLM fixed weird frame pacing issues in certain CryEngine games — but then in other games disabling cpu prerendering may itself cause more stuttering going off user reports I’ve seen so it’s just someone you’d have to try out per game).

Another thing to try out would be to not use windowed mode as that forces a kind of triple
    buffered fast sync which can look very jittery as intermediate frames are sometimes skipped to my understanding (though this is low latency and supports arbitrary framerates so fast sync has its fans).

In some titles simplying capping the framerate to a consistently achievable value can resolve stuttering.

Other games there’s really nothing you can do — they have asset streaming and maybe shader compilation issues and they’re just gonna stutter no matter what you do though it seems upgrading to a beefier cpu with faster memory and a fast SSD and using adaptive sync can “somewhat” reduce those kinds of stuttering.

In some games like Deathloop there’s weird camera jitter on my system if the game goes above 60 fps so I just cap it and it works fine. In other games like outer worlds if I cap the game to 30 (they may have hard coded some values for 30 fps since that is the console framerate, not sure) it runs perfectly but has asset streaming stutter if I dare go beyond that.

Lotta trial and error but some games run like a dream such as DOOM Eternal/2016. Occasionally we get an amazing PC port/version and that always makes me happy. Another thing to check is the RAM XMP profile. Some CPUs are quite sensitive to RAM speed/timings and many prebuilt PCs technically ship with faster RAM but they still default it to the base 2133 frequency for some reason.

Oh also SLI at least used to cause microstutter/bad frame times in certain games. Not sure if that’s still the case I stopped using SLI years ago personally (though it’s a neat concept). I’ve heard some people suggest disabling SMT for Ryzen improved their frametimes in certain titles but I have never tested this (and personally don’t wanna disable SMT).

Also in general/I’ll give the boiler plate advice to update Windows, your GPU drivers, and the Ryzen Chipset Drivers (sadly these aren’t bundled with Windows seems like, I always download them separately from AMD’s website) if those are needed for your system (if you’re on Intel that last point shouldn’t matter). In some cases updating the BIOS might also be worth doing (though I’ve not personally seen it make a difference).

I’ve also seen it suggested that some titles really like having “Prefer Max Performance” set on their Nvidia control panel profile so perhaps another thing to try that.

Last edited: May 8, 2022
    Kamil950, Airbud and TheDigitalJedi like this.
  7. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    You're welcome, anytime. :d

jokes aside, it's my no1 place since I got the interwebz ~ 2006, guru3d forever! :D

8. BlindBison

BlindBison Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    2006, my goodness that’s a year before Halo 3 came out, 2 years before Metal Gear Solid 4, and 3 years before Demon’s Souls came out and started the Fromsoft/Dark Souls craze. Also right after Half Life 2, DOOM 3, and Escape from Butcher Bay came out (EFBB is such an amazing I feel like has been underplayed personally).

Where does the time go, feels like yesterday I was playing all these games.

EDIT: How could I forget Crysis in 07!

Airbud, -Tj- and TheDigitalJedi like this.
  9. TheDigitalJedi

TheDigitalJedi Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2X ASUS TUF 4090 OC

This post is awarded with the intergalactic ultimate dude award.

Airbud and BlindBison like this.
  10. TheDigitalJedi

TheDigitalJedi Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2X ASUS TUF 4090 OC
    Was 2006/2007 the year of Crysis crippling our PC's? Lol! I can't remember the exact year but I fondly remember the turmoil. Lol! I ran two 8800s in SLI during that period. I had a Crossfire setup before that with the X1900XTX or XT. It has been awhile. Half Life 2 with the Fake Factory Mods were fantastic at that time.

Airbud and BlindBison like this.

11. BlindBison

BlindBison Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    I love the Crysis games — Crytek in general has made a lot of games I’ve enjoyed thinking on it. (Hunt Showdown has been a breath of fresh air imo).

I prefer the color grading in the original Crysis to the higher contrast look of the remaster personally, but the remaster does run significantly better on my current system.

Airbud likes this.
  12. ayakaza

ayakaza Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD Radeon 6800 XT
    I am mostly a forum reader since 2007, but yes this forum is perfect.

Airbud likes this.
  13. DannyD

DannyD Ancient Guru

GPU:
    evga 2060
  14. Airbud

Airbud Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 5600XT
    Bump!

:D

15. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    As I have said before - forums, good ones, are the ones most like going to the barbers to rant about something that involves potentially everyone else in the world, except the other people at the barbers.

Life is hard, and people who are ranting are simply doing that - and you gotta let them run out of steam. It's imperative to a functioning forum. You gotta understand that we all love ice cream, and coming here is like standing at a large table, eating ice cream together because with have an infinity to technology. The ice cream comes in every single conceivable flavour of ice cream. All of them. We are simply arguing over which flavour is better than other flavours, as opposed to arguing over whether ice cream is awesome. Y'see?

It's people arguing over the legality of bowling overhead styles in cricket.

I went to Jamaica once, many years ago. I distinctly remember seeing (at a distance) three locals standing at the street corner near the beach, going through an argument that could take years off your life just by watching it. They were yelling, shouting, jumping up and down on the spot, with massive fervour embedded into every point and deliberation. I thought that claret was imminent, yet, they were very close to the cafe I was heading to, and it was hotter than hell. I needed a tall, frosty glass of Red Stripe, and it existed on the other side of these gentlemen. As I got closer to them and the cafe, I began to overhear what they were saying, what the crux of the brutal, bloody fight was going to be about; and realised I had nothing to worry about. They were talking about the legality of bowling overhead styles in cricket.

Cricket is serious business in Jamica, and, technology is serious business on Guru3D forums - but there is no way in hell I would ever believe that any other guru here would ever, in a million years, pick up a spoon and stab another member in the back.

Ranting is never about what we are ranting about, it's just....we understand the lexicon and use that to convey how we feel about the world. For some it's Cricket, for others, technology. To quote myself again:

If someone is not trying to be right, there is no reason to care when they are wrong.

As fellow Guru's: being wrong is never criminal, attacking someone for it, is.

Go in peace my friend, and may your frames render perfectly.

16. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    We get rumbles here as well, politics, fanboys, racism is not uncommon. Many members have been banned, good ones , bad ones. Nothing is perfect.

mbk1969 likes this.
  17. DannyD

DannyD Ancient Guru

GPU:
    evga 2060
    im just up, later

18. DannyD

DannyD Ancient Guru

GPU:
    evga 2060
    Not bad. :p
    Appreciated.❤️