MSI AB / RTSS development news thread

Discussion in 'MSI AfterBurner Application Development Forum' started by Unwinder, Feb 20, 2017.

1. pneumatic

pneumatic Member

GPU:
    R9270
    Are you sure? It seems to work if I edit Dolphin.exe.cfg in Notepad++, save, close Notepad++, launch the game, the new setting is in effect. Didn't have to restart RTSS.exe.

2. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

I think I know how my architecture works. Why do you mention restarting RTSS.exe? It is just illogical, profiles load is not handled there. Profiles are loaded by hooks library injected into the hooked process. They are loaded on target (hooked) application start.

pneumatic likes this.
  3. pneumatic

pneumatic Member

GPU:
    R9270
    Sorry about that. Seems I have trouble recognising the meaning of "template" and "target" :D

4. Unwinder

No worries.

5. CrunchyBiscuit

CrunchyBiscuit Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 Ti
    Tear line moving slowly from top to bottom and reappearing again at the top means that your frame rate is slightly lower than your refresh rate.

Tear line moving slowly from bottom to top and reappearing again at the bottom means that your frame rate is slightly higher than your refresh rate.

AMD and nVidia both act the same in this regard, although using the same fps cap value could result in slightly different timings across various graphics cards.

pneumatic likes this.
  6. pneumatic

pneumatic Member

GPU:
    R9270
    I went back and checked and you are right -- but in the past I had noticed a difference in direction.

In any case, this would mean both NVidia and AMD are filling the frame buffer from bottom to top, yes?

Because if it was top to bottom then if (fps<refresh) it took longer before the buffer was completely filled and the line didnt get as far down before it was scanned out to the display and therefore line moves up.

Also this lead me to an idea which I'm sure many of you have thought of already (especially Chief BlurBuster).

What about instead of a line, we keep 1 frame prebuffered and do a blend with it, either a crude motionblur type blend or a dithering blend.

But I'm guessing it would probably look like crap, and even if it looked okay, hiding it completely in the blanking is still better. Or maybe RTSS could detect when scanline is fluctuating and switch to blur/dither when that happens?

7. ThirtyIR

ThirtyIR Active Member

GPU:
    RTX 3090 Ti FE SLI
    @Unwinder A small issue I'm coming across after updating to RTX 3090 Ti from vanilla 3090 is on the overlay I have customized, I use the variable %GPU% to get the GPU info but since it's an AIB card, I put "EVGA %GPU% FTW3 Ultra" but once I click on a specific Afterburner profile I want (OC), it just reverts to "%GPU% FE" which is what I had when I had the original RTX 3090 since it was an FE card.

I've changed it and clicked 'Apply' then 'Okay' and it still keeps reverting. It's super annoying - how to fix this?

8. Unwinder

Profiles may optionally include monitoring data (including your customised OSD layout).

ThirtyIR likes this.
  9. Unwinder

That’s fundamental approach for any CRT or LCD, it is GPU vendor agnostic. Any display is scanning framebuffer scanline by scanline, from top to bottom.

10. orangewoolcry

orangewoolcry Member Guru

GPU:
    geforce 680 gtx
    gots a smallz question ...not sure bout this but is there a way to have RTSS detect games API version not just the API and if its x64 or x86,

been using this so far >

\n<S=80> \t<EXE>\n\t<API> <ARCH>

appreciated

11. SalamatiQus

SalamatiQus Active Member

GPU:
    4090 Windforce
    Not sure if I got your question right but you are probably looking for <APP>, it will tell different D3D versions but not for OGL or Vulkan.

orangewoolcry likes this.
  12. orangewoolcry

GPU:
    geforce 680 gtx
    damn .....i need it to support OGL and Vulkan Versioning also, btw <API> already does the different versions of D3D in a more detailed way

<ARCH>

is just for x86 or x64 architecture detection for anyone interested

13. Unwinder

You need something that makes no sense as usual. It won’t happen.

14. orangewoolcry

GPU:
    geforce 680 gtx
    very supportive and friendly as usual , thanks

15. Unwinder

I do not need to be "very supportive" to a person who bomb other threads of this section with endless flow of crazy feature requests and absolutely refuse to accept NO as an answer. The answers are as smart as the requests you do. If you were understanding the concepts of 3D APIs and seeing the difference between major DX API versions (which identify drastically different 3D APIs, incompatible with each other) and Vulkan/OGL specification versions, which define functionality extensions for previously existing API, you'd seen why it won't happen. Guess I'll just ignore your furure "coding tasks".

16. orangewoolcry

GPU:
    geforce 680 gtx
    i see , shame really ....cause i sure would love to have said feature added

to me its as important as major DX API versions to be able to differentiate what Opengl or Vulkan iteration is being used , but thats just me...no push at all , just a friendly request as usual , no obligation course, dont want to annoy ya too much there

17. Unwinder

To me, you need to understand the nature of feature you claim as "important" because you still fail to do it and see no differece between API versions (which define DRASTICALLY different renderer implementation) and API specification versions, which define nothing but adding new extensions to THE SAME API. An application claiming "Vulkan 1.3" is using exactly the same API as Vulkan 1.0 application, it may easily use JUST Vulkan 1.0 compatible functionality, you cannot extract ANYTHING USEFUL from seeing it in OSD. Let's stop on that.

18. ThirtyIR

ThirtyIR Active Member

GPU:
    RTX 3090 Ti FE SLI
    That was it! Re-saved the profiles with the correct data and it works beautifully. Thank you.

Unwinder likes this.
  19. orangewoolcry

GPU:
    geforce 680 gtx

sorry bout that , just thought itd be cool , and yes i understand what you say even tho game says vulkan 1.3 for example ...it might actually be using vulkan 1.0 extensions only , but to me its still of importance tbh , same with Opengl 4.6 for example showing and it only using Opengl 3.3 extensions actually, still would be very useful to my use, specially for figuring out what to input into custom wrappers with drivers to get them working proper, anyhow as said ill respect your wishes to stop this request, sorry for bothering you, dont want to ask too much from you

Last edited: May 9, 2022
  20. rrrrex

rrrrex Guest

GPU:
    GTX1650s
    SMART plugin doesn't show NVMe SSD temperature, do you have any plans about it?