AMD Smart Access Storage (DirectStorage) to get introduced in Corsair Voyager laptop

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, May 6, 2022.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    BlindBison likes this.
  2. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    Kinda weird this would be introduced in a laptop, seeing as they don't have a lot of physical space for additional components and they're more bottlenecked by thermals than memory or PCIe bandwidth.

3. neikosr0x

neikosr0x Active Member

GPU:
    Corsair 8GB DDR3 1333mhz
    well, it supposes to decrease the number of CPU cycles so it is beneficial to some degree.

BlindBison likes this.
  4. Erick

Erick Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 Ti 12 GB
    The CPU has to decompress, wait, decompress, wait, decompress...compared to the GPU's low latency memory. The GPU can decompress large amounts of data in seconds.

You're right..and at this point, the community should get some beta drivers at the very least for benchmarks, testing, etc. The desktop would be ideal for starting these types of tests as we cannot replace the GPU's is most laptops.

BlindBison likes this.

5. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    can't have drivers because theres no ratified implementation of the tech yet.

BlindBison likes this.
  6. BlindBison

BlindBison Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    I'm confused why this needs its own title for AMD -- correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't DirectStorage a Windows stack thing? Or is it that Nvidia/AMD have to also implement it in their driver then?

If it's something different, will AMD's version of DirectStorage have GPU decompress at launch I wonder. Still seems a odd to me microsoft's won't initially, but perhaps this is just tough to implement on PC, I'm not sure.

7. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    the driver needs to implement the streaming decoder for the compressed format.

8. Erick

Erick Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 Ti 12 GB
    Well my concern is that AMD want to use GPU decompression with the CPU decompression, which uses Direct Memory Access already. I don't understand some of the design yet, so I'm guessing that research is still being done.

The PS5 and Series X (DirectX 12) are already using it, so it's not impossible. It's been done and in use commercially.

I do agree that this name may confuse some when abbreviating SAS, because Serial Attached SCSI is the certified name of SAS.

9. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    This is actually misinformation, GPU accelerated Directstorage is not even available on the Xbox yet.