3600MHZ C18 or 3200MHZ C16?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by testcy, Apr 26, 2022.

1. testcy

testcy Guest

GPU:
    -----
    I am more concerned about reliability and longevity than speed as I don't play games. But again how can I know if am getting CJR, DJR or JJR? Is a QVL reliable source for information?

Last edited: May 1, 2022
  2. bobnewels

bobnewels Maha Guru

GPU:
    amd
    Good luck with whatever you choose

I can only give my own opinion and experience. DDR4 Ram you will be pretty much be good with anything on any system you pick and the Ram does not have to be on the QVL.

If you go with the more expensive build with DDR5 just buy a set of Ram that is on the OVL.

You also will be fine and if you do not PC game then Ram will also not really matter at all,unless you need it for a specific program that actually uses Ram.

Some of that experience stuff I just spouted.

Some of the Ram off the top of my head that worked on Intel / AMD setups fine
    G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB (F4-3200C16S-32GVK)
    G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB (F4-3600C19D-32GVRB)
    G.Skill Trident Z 16GB DDR4(F4-4000C18D-16GTZ)
    G.SKILL Ripjaws V (F4-4000C17D-32GVKB)
    Patriot Viper Steel 16GB (PVS416G413C9k) Two different sets for 32GB

Some setups I have run with different 9 different CPU's,4 or 5 different Motherboards and at least 4 or 5 sets of Ram not on QVL list and they were all fine 100%.

3. Truder

Truder Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6700XT Nitro+
    If you want to find out what chips modules are using before your purchase, you usually have to contact the manufacturer directly sadly.

Hynix CJR and DJR are reliable, Micron E die is reliable and Samsung B-die are reliable from my knowledge - I'd actually say that the Crucial Ballistix are probably some of the best budget ram, best value/performance currently

4. testcy

testcy Guest

GPU:
    -----
    I contacted several manufacturers in the past and nobody was willing to disclose this information.

Last edited: May 1, 2022

5. Truder

Truder Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6700XT Nitro+
    Probably because they can't confirm without looking at serial numbers as like I said earlier, modules get speed binned, it's pot luck what you get really

6. testcy

testcy Guest

GPU:
    -----
    I can't find Crucial Ballistix, but maybe I could find CT8G4DFRA32A (8GB) or CT2K8G4DFRA32A (2X8GB). Are these worth considering?

7. Truder

Truder Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6700XT Nitro+
    Cas 22, very slow, definitely don't consider these.

Freeman likes this.
  8. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Mi25/IGP
    most ram sticks should be fine now, there aren't really any new ddr4 ics that haven't been validated on am4, the qvl can be considered as guidance, for example, if you buy a kit of memory that uses the exact same chips and the same timings as one on the qvl. there isn't any reason it wouldn't work. there can be some differences with really high speed kits (>4000mt/s) due to different pcbs, but other than that all else is pretty much equal. I wouldn't worry too much. worst case you just have to return the kit and get another one.

chinobino likes this.