Over 18 million copies of Cyberpunk 2077 have been sold

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Apr 28, 2022.

1. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    It's why we can't have nice things.

2. Murissokah

Murissokah Guest

GPU:
    XFX 6870 Crossfire
    Yeah, there are some who will bet on a recovery, but people who are serious about investing should know that all known information is already reflected in the price at all times. This means that 30 USD / share is what it's worth considering all potential growth (and also the potential for more bad news). In other words, there's no such thing as 'recovery', only new events and previously unknown information should affect the price. This fiasco hurt the company this badly because not only did it limit the amount of money they'll be able to generate with their new IP, but it also caused them to spend over a year doing fix-up work and, most importantly, it set a bad precedent that will affect the expectations over anything new they come up with.

I love the game too, and it's sad that this scenario means we will probably see a lot less of it than we could have. They'll have to spend a lot of time and effort trying to improve the public perception and I'm sure a lot of what they had in mind for the game is already cancelled or delayed.

Dragam1337 and Wault like this.
  3. Murissokah

Murissokah Guest

GPU:
    XFX 6870 Crossfire
    It does a few things. First is that by hurting its shareholders the board will be pressured for explainations and what they plan to do to fix this, which in turn affects business decisions. Failing to do that well (just happened this month) will cause shares to drop even more.

It hurts the board itself (and often employees). Executives usually earn shares as part of their bonuses. A drop like that means that not only their expected bonus was reduced to 25% of what they expected, but also that all previously earned shares were too. This could mean their total assets were reduced to levels of 5 years ago. It's like making 200 thousand a year and by the end of the year your house caches fire and you have no insurance. And considering this will take years to improve, it's possible that some key executives will not want to stick around. Depending on the pay structure this would also apply to employees, as often key positions do have a bigger proportion of their earinigs tied to company performance.

It also means executive jobs are threatened. While shareholders can't directly oust a CEO, mistrust in the board can affect the price in such a way that their presence impedes growth. The CEO will go to work knowing him being there is causing everyone around him to lose money. If employees lose trust in their leadership the effects can be devastating. Imagine people like Art Directors who poured their soul into the project, delivered a great job and saw their work turned into a mockfest because of poor leadership decisions. And if they earn bonuses (which they probably do), they also had what effectively amounts to a pay cut.

Finally, it affects their financing options. Lenders and investors will be a lot more weary of the company, and that means they'll probably not be able to get the same kind of financing terms they did before. New big investors will be less trusting too, so instead of buying, say, 20% of the shares, they might not want to invest unless they can get a controlling stake in the company.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2022
    Yogi likes this.
  4. Krizby

Krizby Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4090 TUF
    Yeah probably just limit the amount of money they can spend on advertisements, which is a good thing since CDPR spent so much dev hours on creating the E3 trailers that could be spent on the actual game.

5. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    With the 3090 you make Cyberpunk priority. ;)

6. Sara6Girls

Sara6Girls Member

GPU:
    Rx6800xt+3080ti
    I don't think this is true the game is not great enough and they didn't mention the refunds?
    I bought a rtx3080ti card for her, and it was the worst slap in my gaming history.

7. Yogi

Yogi Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6800
    Understandable, I'd feel like I was slapped if I had bought a 3080ti too

8. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    There is a good game in there. If only they cancelled the previous generation console versions and took another year or two to polish it up the botched launch may have been a lot different.

Embra, Dragam1337 and Maddness like this.
  9. Tom Sunday

Tom Sunday Member Guru

GPU:
    ASUS ROG Strix 4090
    Given the plain fact that the company went public in 2010 means that the top 4-guys became rich almost overnight. Even though Cyberpunk became one of the most anticipated video games of all times, we all know that a lot gotten thrown out the window when Cyberpunk 2077 first launched, and there was a big scramble just to fix the game and it turned into a buggy mess. The developer promised more fixes and content this year, fixing dry roads and broken quests, but apparently something changed. CD Projekt Red then silently delayed the apparently free DLC and more update plans for Cyberpunk 2077 until 2022. With an estimated 18 million+ copies sold to date the CDP profits clearly are in the stratosphere and I wonder where all the big money really has gone in view of the sales numbers generated. At the same time last year however CDP, which was originally going to be Cyberpunk 2077's Polish distributor, filed for bankruptcy following a rough year. But financial problems still persist in the background! The game right now at Steam cost $30, a 50% off special promotion. Many interested buyers however, many of which who originally could not afford an essentially $60 game are still holding off not sure if it's worth it. Or for that mater if the 2022 CDP Cyperpunk promises and a kiss on the cheek will ever come? Meanwhile Marcin Iwiński its founder, who owns just under 13%, is now worth $1.5 billion. Life is good.

10. SplashDown

SplashDown Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 980ti Classy
    Waiting to get a better card before I play it my 980 ti won't cut it.

11. Kaleid

Kaleid Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xt
    Good, along with Alyx it made gaming that year interesting
    Should obviously have been released in better shape though, and waiting for DLCs is taking quite a long time

Dragam1337 likes this.
  12. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
  13. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    RDR2 is a slow burner but once you play it for a few hours it's hard to stop playing.

Maddness likes this.
  14. geogan

geogan Maha Guru

GPU:
    4080 Gaming OC
    I own it, can't remember if I paid full price for it, played a good few hours on 1070 when it was very buggy at start (things that were supposed to appear to allow you to continue did not so no way to go forward only reload a save game from previous time!), then replayed when got 3070 to see the RTX difference - I was impressed with RTX visuals - played a bit more but never much more - find the game a bit tedious & boring, don't like the whole inventory system, town is also like a Hollywood movie set where all just fake wooden facades where nothing works and can't look behind or interact. Think last point I got to was driving to some small out of town wild west type town with a girl (what's her name, his love interest, with nice ass).

15. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    Perfect example of why middle management execs push to release broken garbage. Why bother when you can half ass it and plebs will still buy it anyway and then you can pledge to fix it only if the outrage gets loud enough.

16. StevieSleep

StevieSleep Member

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1080
    Bought the game and it was still horribly buggy at version 1.35ish.
    Maybe they fixed it at 1.5 but I doubt I'm ever returning to it. There are far too many good games and very little time to game. Really hard to justify revisiting something without it having a substantial improvement.

17. Embra

Embra Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Red Devil 6950 XT
    Maybe Epic will have it as a freebie soon!
    They had it for sale @$40 a while ago I think.

18. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    Possibly....... although... if memory serves they have not given away The Witcher 3 so far. only 1 and 2 I thiiiiiink?

That said epic has given away games that are "more expensive" than $40

19. Venix

Venix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4070 super
    I do not think Witcher 3 and cyberpunk will ever be free not until cyberpunk 2 and the new Witcher is out for each one :p. Come on kids buy more cosmetics on Fortnite I want more free games !

GoldenTiger likes this.
  20. southamptonfc

southamptonfc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 OC
    I own the game but my 3080ti isn't powerful enough to play it. I'm waiting for my 4080ti before I install it.