NVIDIA Explains Why Their Drivers are so good, and takes stab at AMD

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Apr 27, 2022.

1. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    most of these wound up being a flaw n the Vista compositors vsync engine, have 2 screens with different refresh rate, you were ******.

Performance with the GP104 is the same now as it was in 2016.

2. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    I didn't have 2 screens, just one 1024x768 lcd connected via VGA~! haha..

[​IMG]

3. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Hilarious. Just when I thought I heard it all comes the conspiracy that Nvidia was gimping their brand new 1080 some 5 months after its release. :D

Airbud likes this.
  4. ManofGod

ManofGod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro
    I as am sure that both companies have had their driver issues, although I have had better luck with AMD, when it comes to the Linux desktop. However, I personally could not care less, I have a 6800XT that will last me for the next 5 years and I am all set.

Airbud, Horus-Anhur, Undying and 2 others like this.

5. Raider0001

Raider0001 Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 7900 XTX Nitro+
    I had problem with RTX 2070 when in game sharpening was crossing on to the desktop from the first day it was implemented to the last day I had that card...

6. Raider0001

Raider0001 Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 7900 XTX Nitro+
    its not working correctly u need geforce experience on top of the driver and then u need overclocking software on top of that

7. gx-x

gx-x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1070Ti Phoenix
    "AMD releases WHQL drivers in stages. AMD's driver, which has to be mentioned is a bit more complex as they cover desktop, mobile, and integrated GPUs."

Bloatware, in other words. They should have these separated among teams and release them separately. Including CPU overclocking in display driver, and/or vice-verse. Less is sometimes more.

8. vf

vf Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATi Radeon™
    Yeah, I remember it well as the desktop was so unstable. I once remember a monster thread of it on Driverheaven or Hardwareheaven back in 2007. Think it was over 1000 pages of all the reports.

It was a very annoying issue.

9. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    It just works and its more convenient. You have cpu/gpu oc tools build in the driver and you dont dont have to use afterburner or use an imail for more features.

10. cucaulay malkin

cucaulay malkin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AD102/Navi21
    amd drivers are prettier.end of debate.

11. tunejunky

tunejunky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx/7900xt
    ah yeah. i was having two separate issues @ same time.
    the Nvidia issue was not recognizing g-sync module and capping frame rate @ 60Hz on a 144Hz monitor.

12. TimmyP

TimmyP Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    Its easier to write drivers when you dont have to worry about as much hardware.

13. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Nvidia currently has support for more hardware.

14. Horus-Anhur

Horus-Anhur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 XT
    Are you counting AMD's APUs?

15. Venix

Venix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4070 super
    I had problems with both amd and GeForce drivers in the past . Soooo I can not really comment what worked better for me ...to me it felt similar , on the other hand my GPU market sample lacks .... dunno 1000 cards and PC configurations to even remotely have some value :p

16. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    AMD has been getting better with their drivers for the last 3-4yrs. Recently seem to be getting faster with their releases as well.

However, it's 2022 and if a friend or family member asks me about recommending a gpu, and I know I've got to be tech support, then, it's Nvidia all the way. AMD isn't even mentioned unless it's for the cpu. So no change in my mindset there.

Interestingly, the first AMD gpu (igpu) for me since Rage days will be with the Steam Deck and I'm looking forward to it. However, again, I will not recommend the SD to any family and friends if I'm tech support. It's Intel or AMD cpu + Nvidia gpu or I'm out. I refuse to have to deal with AMD gpu issues and problems, sorry guys. I just feel like I'll get less grey hair that way.

On the otherhand, I wish Valve could've gone with Nvidia for the SD as I'm sure we wouldn't be waiting months just for an audio driver.

17. aufkrawall2

aufkrawall2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT Hellhound
    Changing voltage in Wattman doesn't just work for RDNA2 GPUs. Depending on the card, it seems to be pure chance which voltage it actually uses after changing it in the WM UI. This is why there are reports that some users get instant crashes with even just -5mV in Wattman, but can do -100mV via MPT without issues.
    Another area where the AMD Linux driver works much better. There you have a voltage offset value with RDNA2 GPUs, and it once again just does what you set up, and not some nonsensical mumbo jumbo. Or you can also simply force the GPU into high clock states on Linux to check whether downclocking causes issues.
    Classic AMD Windows driver. UV worked fine with RDNA1 and they once again blew it with 2. I can't stand this incompetence no more, there are myriads of examples like this.

But yes, it sucks that Nvidia doesn't offer undervolting via a non 3rd party UI.

Noisiv likes this.
  18. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Keep in mind AMD dropped support for many of their APU's in 2021 along with Pre-Polaris Rx300, Rx400 and Rx500 and 600 series parts ( 610, 520, 530, 430, 435, 450, 455)

Nvidia has 43 "supported" desktop Geforce and Titan products listed for the geforce desktop package, and 48 Notebook GPU's listed for the Notebook packages (they are the the exact binary same driver download though)

AMD on the other hand has 30 Desktop GPU's, 13 Mobility GPU's, and 8 Processors with Ryzen Graphics

That's 91 vs 51, and not even counting the fact substrings apply various fixes and workarounds - especially for Notebook parts.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2022
    Horus-Anhur likes this.
  19. TimmyP

TimmyP Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    About everything in general really.

I was referring to a single piece of hardware being more complex, thus requiring more specialized driver development with this statement however, not how broad any company's catalog might be.

20. suty455

suty455 Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 3090
    Actually truth be told between the 6900 and the 3090 setups I had far more issues with the Nvidia often it will boot but the monitor would not respond, cable etc was fine and were changed but only on DP, HDMI was fine the 6900 booted every time perfectly swapped monitors round etc no change acted the same, since swapping the monitors from HP 27 inch to Mi ultrawides then all has been good.