Graphics Cards Pricing slowly normalizing to MSRP

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Apr 19, 2022.

1. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    With the next gen already in the near future (at least when you are old enough so that half a year feels like very near future), it'd seem beyond dubious to even think of paying well over the normal price for a card from the aging generation. Either I buy from the new generation, for a reasonable full price, or heavily discounted from the old one. If neither is an option, I guess I'll just continue with my current ancient card as long as it lasts and then stop gaming when it dies.

Keitosha, Backstabak, Undying and 2 others like this.
  2. tunejunky

tunejunky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx/7900xt

i understand your feelings but they aren't directed at the right parties.

1) manufacturers do not sell to end users (except in one case, Nvidia) and they're never going through that pr nightmare again.

2) losing money never caused any company to lower prices. prices are lowered to make more money from volume once the costs of production have been met - and not always even then.

3) good luck with Intel GPUs

Undying and alanm like this.
  3. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    There are a lot of consumers who are unaware of the changed inventory situation in past few weeks and online retailers want to milk them as much as they can before prices settle down.

tunejunky and Keitosha like this.
  4. Alessio1989

Alessio1989 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    normalizing my ass.

5. SplashDown

SplashDown Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 980ti Classy
    lol ... I second that.

6. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    Will hold on current GPU and I will not budge until price is right.

Keitosha likes this.
  7. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    But they aren't, it's just the odd blip here and there, i mean who are funding these prices are normal again stories, Nvidia. lol

8. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Nvidia apparently are providing these at low enough prices for some retailers to sell at MSRP. Greedy e-tailers are where the problem is.

tunejunky likes this.
  9. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    ^^^^GPU prices here in the UK are still in the realms of fantasy over here, a RTX 3050(a supposed card for the budget range), is still over £300, and offer worse performance than my present GTX1080. lol

10. Horus-Anhur

Horus-Anhur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 XT
    Stores are not the only ones that are taking a cut in this inflated price. Many middleman have a cut in this speculation.
    Many stores have bought cards in the previous months, that were still not sold. But some might have been bought by stores, at a higher price than what we see now.
    So some stores are trying not to lose money by adjusting to the current market price.

tunejunky, Kaarme and alanm like this.

11. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Yep. Many years ago I worked in a large retailer and prices were determined by whats called a moving average cost. If older inventory was bought at higher costs and newer stuff cost less, they would average it out and set prices accordingly.

tunejunky and Horus-Anhur like this.
  12. mohiuddin

mohiuddin Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX670 4gb ll RX480 8gb
    Yeah. .. right?

13. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    We are in a situation of retailers and e-tailers getting used to and enjoying the profits of selling absolutely everything at extremely exorbitantly high prices..... the problem with that however is that they were not selling to little Timmy wanting to play a video game, now that mining "seems" to be slowing down, gamer's are still looking at the prices of these overpriced pieces of crap and not buying as fast as miners who were just gobbling up everything regardless of cost.

Until the people mining Ethereum can no longer mine on video cards intended to play video games, video cards will not return to normal.

14. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    nvidia only provides founders boards, these have had the same pricing since launch.

15. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    Yes, but still the 3070 Ti price was listed at $599.99 (MSRP)
    We are getting near, but still.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2022

16. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    As the next gen draws nearer, I wonder if the stores are actually buying less stock. You'd think so. So, they would have less and less potentially cheaper stock available. At least I've noticed the shops have quite a short listing of models now. I reckon the AIB parners might also be getting ready for the next gen, rather than push out thousands of the old cards. If crypto prices suddenly jumped up, I assume things would quickly change. In the meantime, though, shops might be doing what they can to keep prices up and to make sure they don't end up with a large quantity of unsold old cards when the consumers' attention shifts to the new gen.

17. Backstabak

Backstabak Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte Rx 5700xt
    The prices are still almost double of what I would expect them to be, especially at this point. If the next iteration doesn't bring prices down, I'll just drop the resolution or some settings and continue using my current card. If it dies, I'd rather buy console than paying ~€1000 for what used to be a mid range card. It's not even a question of money, I can afford it. It just feels like I'm forced to bend over and spread my buttcheeks, which I definitely do not appreciate.

carnivore, mohiuddin and Keitosha like this.
  18. cucaulay malkin

cucaulay malkin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AD102/Navi21
    6900xt's for 940eur here atm
    it must be christmas

I might be buying a card in late june after all

19. Strange Times

Strange Times Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 6600 XT
    you already have 3060ti, just wait for 40/7000 series

20. cucaulay malkin

cucaulay malkin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AD102/Navi21
    i'd get the 6900xt for that price,but the real deal breaker is dlss
    buying a card without it at this point is really not a good idea
    3060ti w. dlss,at this point it's available in every second triple-a game. or more.

upload_2022-5-31_18-46-50.png