Review: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Apr 14, 2022.

1. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
  2. cucaulay malkin

cucaulay malkin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AD102/Navi21
    it can be 25% faster at times,but take the average out of those 9 games and 12600k oc is faster overall, by 3%

3. suty455

suty455 Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 3090
    I guess the take home from this is simple if you play lots of games and have a AM4 already this is a no brainer upgrade from a 5600 and below for a good price, for anything above its worth waiting for zen 4, from Intels point of view however ...oh boy they should worry and lots remember the demo we saw with the zen 4 running at 5ghz all core, imagine the 5800x3d running at 5ghz with increased IPC from the new Arch as well, buy AMD shares now if you can

4. waltc3

waltc3 Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 50th Ann 5700XT
    AMD has never advertised this chip as anything but a super gaming CPU, and that's what it is. Looking at this excellent review and several others, I am impressed. This thing beats Intel's fastest, most expensive Alder Lake running PCIe5 and DDR5, amazingly enough (I saw this on other sites, but didn't see the Intel config listed here, so pardons if that's incorrect.) Productivity performance boost was never something AMD said about the 3d V-cache because that wasn't the purpose for the CPU. Several sites saw a ~22% average game performance delta of the 3d over Intel's best & fastest--even when Alder Lake runs like a gigawatt furnace comparatively. I'm still wrapping my head around this CPU--and I may pick it up next week! I can only imagine what Zen4 will do later this year--likely a real productivity barn burner, imo. AMD had said it expects 2022 to be its best year yet...and I'm starting to see some real evidence of that.

This is the CPU for 1080P gaming right now, imo.

Airbud, Ivrogne, 0blivious and 4 others like this.

5. Horus-Anhur

Horus-Anhur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 XT
    carnivore and Valken like this.
  6. undorich

undorich Active Member

GPU:
    Geforce Palit 1080
    14 none gaming related tests vs 5 games .. hmm .. next test, games only plz ;-)

7. tunejunky

tunejunky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx/7900xt
    cannot have one without the other. increasing voltage increases heat in direct proportion.
    so this is a semantic issue.

mohiuddin likes this.
  8. tunejunky

tunejunky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx/7900xt
    i said that about Alder Lake re: Meteor lake and got clobbered

Kool64 likes this.
  9. darrensimmons

darrensimmons Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC RTX4090AMPEXT
    Love to see some results with the e cores disabled on the intel as at present they are just a hinderance in gaming and can cost up too 15% performance drop.

10. cucaulay malkin

cucaulay malkin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AD102/Navi21
    nah.

11. Kool64

Kool64 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070
    it’s the Intel double standard. Alder lake is a great platform but it’s been rivaled by a previous gen AMD chip and it even wins some. So the excuses come out like pairing an $800 chip with $600 memory just to win some. Of course the X3D can’t even come close to even it’s own brethren in productivity.

tunejunky likes this.
  12. Andy Watson

Andy Watson Master Guru

GPU:
    That's a dumb argument because if you don't want to upgrade your whole platform you are still better off, for gaming, buying the Nvidia 4xxx series than this .

13. Andy Watson

Andy Watson Master Guru

GPU:
    Imagine .. yeah.. as it cannot do 5GHz.

This thread has been taken over by AMD paid for supporters it seems. :)

14. Kaleid

Kaleid Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xt
    No need for silly conspiracies. This is AM4:s swan song and it does it very well, if the buyer is looking for great gaming performance. It also makes me hopeful for AM5 to go even further, just imagine higher clocks, much faster RAM, double L2 cache per core etc... they're doing a lot of things right and we all benefit from this because Intel was sleeping at the wheel for years.

15. iNerd

iNerd Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 Ti
    asus pg259qn, 3080ti ftw ultra, 360hz 5900x. Imagine they would bring 5900x3D but since for gaming 8 cores are more than enough the 5800x3D would def worth try but for me NOW it's not worth to sell 5900x used just to lose money to get a gaming cpu since i use my pc for other tasks. But test this would be awsome. AND they should open it... i wonder if manual tuning the ram and so on would make any difference and which ram / m2 disc / mobo fits best for this cpu....

tunejunky likes this.

16. iNerd

iNerd Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 Ti
    really impressive....

17. iNerd

iNerd Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 Ti
    ps: looks like it can be overclocked :)

Valken likes this.
  18. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    Slow DDR4 yes. But b-die 4133 C15 is a very strong performer. In fact it's likely a decent amount faster than 6400 DDR5 HH used.

Just a tidbit of info, Gear 1 aka 1:1 ratio between IMC and memory performance must be maintained on DDR4. The max frequency at a 1:1 ratio the IMC can support is up to 4266
    On DDR5 it's a forced 1:2 ratio. IMC runs 1/2 speed of memory. That's why those slow DDR5 kits run worse than DDR4 kits.

For something like DDR4 3600 some boards auto set to to gear 2 mode. The performance penalty going to gear 2 is huge.
    So reviewers who don't explicitly set gear 1 on speeds like 3600 are getting worse performance and that's why sometimes DDR5 looks much better.
    Above 3600 it's always auto set to gear 2.

Anyways TLDR 4133 CL15 Gear 1 memory is just as fast or faster in games vs most DDR5 kits, especially ones that are latency dependent.
    DDR5 7000 CL32 timings is where DDR5 is typically stronger than DDR4 4133.

I find it very interesting that very few reviewers mention anything about what gear ratio they are on, not even places like Guru3d, HU, etc o_O

I saw a review earlier that showed the exact opposite, I think it was LTT on youtube.

19. anxious_f0x

anxious_f0x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF RTX 4090
    Looks to be a great chip, just makes me more excited for the next gen of AMD CPUs.

XenthorX, Valken, tunejunky and 2 others like this.
  20. pegasus1

pegasus1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 4090
    You are mentioning GPUs but we are talking CPUs. Not everybody games at 4k and not everybody plays the latest GPU heavy AAA titles.

tunejunky likes this.