OLED, QD-OLED, QDEL + Mini, MLA & microLED -> Monitors Super Thread

Discussion in 'Computer Monitor Forum' started by OnnA, Apr 8, 2022.

Tags:
  1. PowerK

PowerK Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 FE
    First of all, you're barking at the wrong tree. There's no such thing as bad pixel layout. Different pixel layout requires different subpixel rendering technique and this is where Windows fails often and slow to update.

Second, you shouldn't deliver a message you understand nothing about.

Third, what hype? OLED has been around on your phones, TVs over the last decade. Nothing really new and definitely not hype. Popularity is due to its price, $1,300 This is an amazing job pulled of by Samsung and their mass production capability.

tunejunky likes this.
  2. aufkrawall2

aufkrawall2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT Hellhound
    Apparently you have zero experience with displays that have subpixel layouts deviating from RGB stripe patterns or your vision is severely handicapped.
    Like I said, there are photographs of the issue of QD OLED devices. If you can't accept that, you're as incurable as people claiming earth would be flat. It's your choice to live in a parallel universum of alternate facts, but don't expect others to follow you there.

Dragam1337 likes this.
  3. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Mi25/IGP
    Frankly I've been waiting far too long for this, still rocking my 16:10 hp monitor from 2006, I thought to myself back then I would wait until something better than lcd came along, boy did I not guess that would be 15+ years.

HandR likes this.
  4. PowerK

PowerK Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 FE
    RGB stipe patterns work out great because there already is subpixel rendering technique that matches it.
    Since you're a merely a messenger, crawl back into your German cave and tell your friends that there's another aspect of pixel rendering.
    And don't get me started on parallel universe. You don't even understand what it is nor theory behind it. Also, it's universe, not universum. Lol. If you're writing in English, do it in a proper manner.

tunejunky likes this.

5. aufkrawall2

aufkrawall2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT Hellhound
    Trying to mock somebody for a lexical flaw and nationality? It appears some old-fashioned Prussian education (read: 24/7 beatings) would have suited you well. Anyway, the issue is not limited to subpixel font AA, it also affects all monochromatic horizontal lines which have CA-like green and red outline accordingly. Pro tip: You're misplaced arrogance doesn't make you appear less needy. Your main idea that content rendering just needs to be adjusted to the subpixel layout is nothing but a pathetic brainfart.

6. PowerK

PowerK Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 FE
    I was correcting your English. :p

You lost me there.

When exactly did I say that "the issue" is limited to subpixel font AA?
    News flash for you. Subpixel rendering technique does not apply to just fonts.

Pro tip: You're misplaced ignorance doesn't make you appear less needy. Your main idea that subpixel layout is at fault is just is nothing but a pathetic brainfart. Sounds better?
    Those technology leading semiconductor/display engineers at Samsung/LG must be dumb for choosing whatever subpixel layout other than good'ol RGB stripe. They are far smarter and knowledgeable on this matter than you who buys displays from cheap Chinese/Taiwanese manufacturers. :p

7. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    As a monitor:

Note: 42" is not too much.

tunejunky likes this.
  8. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    Twice in this thread, actually. The guy is just a massive c*nt - i suggest you just put him on ignore, like i already did...

aufkrawall2 likes this.
  9. tunejunky

tunejunky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx/7900xt
    i miss the days of brick and mortar shops for monitors.
    yeah they still exist but not everywhere that folks are.

a lot of these discussions would be moot because you would see the difference with your naked eyes and compare and contrast with the same source material. some of the differences mentioned are night and day. the office park doesn't count in the slightest as only the creative staff get the best monitors from IT and their decisions aren't always based on pure visual acuity, but the bottom line.

unlike online shopping where the practice is you buy a pig in a poke.

some of us have jobs that are very demanding and the tool has to fit the work.

others of us have demanding jobs that we created and we get to indulge ourselves as long as parameters are met.
    my job has required me to go to CES and trade shows since 1984.
    the early days of my work required competitive analysis and i went and bought the competitors product off of the shelf and with a team of engineers we compared and contrasted.
    mind you, this was all the products that we had competition in, in every category and monitors were certainly on the menu.
    in fact we made the very first RGB monitor, among many other firsts. Opto-electronics were a foundational strength as we created the very first optical disc and several years later digital video.
    imho, our greatest sin was popularizing karaoke.

the point i'm making is that some people need to watch their "tongues".
    they have no idea who the person is or what the person is about.
    many of the people here are experts in their field, and while i'm not advocating formality i am advocating respect.

Solfaur and The1 like this.
  10. PowerK

PowerK Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 FE
    I'm sorry that you can't often read nor comprehend topics discussed on these forums. You're just an ignorant clown.
    Crawl back into where you came from and please keep enjoying gaming on your blur-fest 60Hz LCD. :D

11. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    My one issue is the reliance on HDMI 2.1 connections, especially in today's market of people still using old cards. Unless you know a good Displayport to HDMI 2.1 adapter

tunejunky likes this.
  12. AuerX

AuerX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Militech Apogee
    Should a monitor like this be paired with "old cards" at all?
    How old were you thinking?

tunejunky likes this.
  13. tunejunky

tunejunky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx/7900xt
    there are options in this price range, though this LG is the best deal.
    you would have to go down in size to panels sold as monitors to get DP but the price is going to be about the same
    the new Samsung G7 is qd/oled as is the Alienware.

slightly bigger is the Aorus 48" which is the same panel as the LG, also at 48".
    the 48" panel seems to be popular with about seven different brands (this year) using the 48" panel as a monitor
    so you will see a variety of 48" oleds this summer. all for less than qd/oled or mini-led.
    all i will say is the qd/oled is better suited for very bright rooms, but you still have to deal with different coatings for anti-glare amongst them some will be better for your situation than others.

14. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    My 5700XT

15. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV

16. tunejunky

tunejunky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx/7900xt
    "OLED monitor hype train" ?

there is no "hype train".

of all the human senses, sight is the highest resolution sensation we have. and even for folks with bad sight, it's easily corrected.

there is no "hype", it's called "shock" or "what-have-i-been-doing-all-of-this-time" type of response.
    simply because for the first time ever you have a dynamic range that equals life. not "true to life" or "lifelike" - life itself.

and do not get me started on lumens or nits as those are marketing figures that do not accommodate true black.
    or as Stephen Colbert likes to say they use "truthiness" - untruths dressed up to seem true.

i have watched the development of OLED screens with a very experienced eye as they were the first technology to return self emitting pixels since plasma (disclosure: i worked for the inventor of and best exemplar of plasma tv's). my plasma lived for 15 years of perfect picture, but the energy usage was just too high (the same as a refrigerator).

i bought the first gen of led/lcd and was hugely disappointed. there was no getting around the lack of black, there was blooming, and uneven backlight coverage - and this was a top-of-the-line Sony.
    i returned it, brought back a Samsung, i returned that and got a Panasonic, i returned that and just used a projector (bad, but still better) until i bought my first LG plasma (which is now in my htpc system) that was six years ago.
    six years of the best picture on the market (excepting newer models), six years as a htpc monitor.

and not one dead pixel or any evidence of "burn-in".

nothing under the sun is absolutely perfect, and every technology has barriers to demolish and hurdles to leap - or did you think liquid crystal evolved overnight? no, it took 40 years for LCD to reach market and they're still far from ideal.

the pace of OLED evolution has been extreme - and every consumer electronics manufacturer has taken notice.
    since you post on Guru3D you're no Luddite, but you talk as one who wants to keep B&W standards in a Color era.

there are going to be OLEDs from every major monitor manufacturer this year.
    now go sell cray somewhere else.

PowerK likes this.
  17. aufkrawall2

aufkrawall2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT Hellhound
    Yes, there is for that particular model. But it's useless as a general use monitor, as long as you don't have 0 expectations for proper text/line representation without disgusting CA effect. Some subpixels are simply in a too distant relation to others with those QD OLEDs, it's not fixable via software. LG OLED is far superior in this regard.

Dragam1337 likes this.
  18. Trunks0

Trunks0 Maha Guru

GPU:
    PC RedDevil 7900XTX
    You can compensate for the Alienware odd pixel arrangement. There are customized ClearType setups starting get out there to make that issue less evident for text. And there are ways to compensate further, but it's unknown if things will adapt for that. Either way, just a growing pain. Later gen panels may just go with regular stripe arrangements.

19. aufkrawall2

aufkrawall2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT Hellhound
    They usually have fat glyph width etc. und thus look weird.
    And, like I said, it's not just fonts, but everything:
    https://heise.cloudimg.io/v7/_www-h...DSC05701-12ddd1a054fdb1e3.jpg?q=75&width=2217
    https://www.heise.de/hintergrund/An...lays-bunte-Kanten-zeigen-6593948.html?seite=2
    That red/green CA is just crazy ugly. No need to wait for a fix with LG OLED, they never had this issue in the first place (or it has been years and I can't recall).

20. Trunks0

Trunks0 Maha Guru

GPU:
    PC RedDevil 7900XTX
    I get it. But it can help a bit. You wouldn't really notice this sorta thing in game though, as multiple reviews have noted. Even if you do, you would likely adapt to the change over time and stop noticing it till you stopped and looked for it.

Still, rather it wasn't there and that Samsung display used a regular arrangement. Here's hoping later QD-OLED monitors don't have this.