OLED, QD-OLED, QDEL + Mini, MLA & microLED -> Monitors Super Thread

Discussion in 'Computer Monitor Forum' started by OnnA, Apr 8, 2022.

Tags:
  1. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    First to the party is Alienware AW3423DW QD-OLED

Here are the reviews for it.

=======================================================
    Permament fix for VRR Strobing/Flicker OLED/QD-OLED (near Grey/black loading screens and other as well)

Those setting is for my Swift MLA OLED 1440p 240Hz
    For example set for Alienware DW & DWF
    Adjust main screen resolution Hz -> Set 155Hz or 165Hz for DW then set FS range acordingly,
    best 24-155 or 1-165 for DW

As for other OLEDs like TV, just set 115Hz as max and FS range at 24-112.
    C2 TV guide -> https://forums.guru3d.com/threads/f...lg-c2-and-other-oled-qd-oled-displays.450983/

Fixed flicker with CRU ! for HDR & G-sync (My Swift Not flicker in SDR BTW).
    Just set 24-229Hz in Freesync range and edit 1440p resolution in Display ID data block to 230Hz (double click on it and just edit Hz).
    Tested so far Diablo 4 HDR as it has prominent when loading - grey flicker - No More !

Finally fixed permanently, FreeSync works as with IPS !!
    Tested in:
    BF 2042 HDR no loading screen strobing/flicker
    Diablo 4 HDR ^^same ^^
    Forza H5 HDR ^^same ^^
    Razer Synapse no flicker in Studio Mode (I have Huntsman V2 Linear + Naga Trinity combo)
    No flicker in Photoshp also.

UPD.2
    Explanation:
    The problem is that, the signaling goes beyond safe bounds thus flicker/strobing occurs (My monitor is 240Hz so im assuming that, value 230Hz is safe and in-bounds).
    Tweak is about to have much safer Signal Out of bounds margin of 10Hz.

This can also work for Xbox Series X as it has Windows 10 in it, so edit TV with CRU is possible i think.

Get CRU here -> https://www.monitortests.com/forum/Thread-Custom-Resolution-Utility-CRU
    Find Your resolution Table & Edit only Refresh Hz
    Then set Freesync range in Extension Blocks entry (You can find all settings if You click & read)

How to Screens:

Here You can adjust range limits for H & V
    (do this if You have Monitor Specs pdf and exact numbers from the manufacturer)
    Also here You can switch to 12Bit depth (good Quality cable is needed, i have DP2.0 16k copper cable).

OLED Tweak 01.jpg

Here are detailed resolution Values for my Monitor (If Yours not haing this one just edit Detailed Resolutions tab in main CRU window).

OLED Tweak 02.jpg

Here is FreeSync Value edit option, to fine tune Range FPS/Hz.
    Also Values for HDR, Colorimetry, Video etc.

OLED Tweak 03.jpg

Here is HDR Tweak for 1300Nits (It's Max for MLA v1, MLA v2 will have 3000Nits)
    Value 255 is max 2000 or 1500Nits in Windows. 142 is 1300Nits, 138 is 1000Nits. 128 is 800Nits.

OLED Tweak 04.jpg

CRU Help -> https://forums.guru3d.com/threads/c...ps-tricks-and-monitors-oc-lcd-led-crt.410187/

Other vaults -> https://www.avsforum.com/threads/2020-lg-cx–gx-dedicated-gaming-thread-consoles-and-pc.3138274/page-700

Last edited: Mar 8, 2024
    eGGroLLiO and Maddness like this.
  2. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    Samsung's first QD-OLED monitor: What we know about the 34" Odyssey G8QNB

We have the first product photo too and Samsung's QD-OLED monitor certainly looks less spacey than Dell's Alienware QD-OLED monitor. It has a 1800R curvature and will, according to Samsung, be the world's slimmest gaming monitor measuring just 5.9mm at the thinnest point. This is possible because there is no backlight in a QD-OLED display, which is made up of self-emitting blue OLEDs with quantum dot converters for red and green.

[​IMG]

-> https://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.php?subaction=showfull&id=1645077766

Last edited: Apr 14, 2022
  3. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    Reserved #2

4. aufkrawall2

aufkrawall2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT Hellhound
    Had a Gigabyte M27Q with BGR subpixel layout and it was already super bad, also with ClearType tuning and grayscale fonts/HUD elements. That subpixel layout of QD OLED is said to be even far worse. You could sit in front of a giant LG OLED TV and fonts/edges would look much better.

Dragam1337 likes this.

5. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    Remember this is the first one ;)
    We need to wait for Samsung show :)
    I really want 16:9 or 16:10 27-32" one.

6. PowerK

PowerK Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 FE
    This is incorrect. Besides, what you had was a cheap Chinese/Taiwanese monitor. Nothing more.
    I have one on order. Will be comparing it to LG OLED and another Alienware AW3821DW (Nano IPS)

7. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    It's really bad though... only 1440p at 34" aka low pixel density... and on top of that it's blurry triangel pixels, which are still at risk of burnin with static desktop work... and then you have the loud annoying fan. And i dont like the UW curve either. It's unusable for anything other than gaming. As someone who use my pc like 80% of the time for work, i'd never get that monitor. Nor would i if all i did was game, actually.

8. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    It has 5m pixels thsts 25% more than a regular 1440p which isnt low and looks pretty good. Curve is a must on these flat would just look weird. For a gaming purposes its nice but yeah not for anything else.

9. PowerK

PowerK Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 FE
    Lol. What is this guy on about.
    Blurry and OLED doesn't belong in the same sentence. It is 4K 60Hz LCD = blur-fest. Not OLED.
    Once you experience OLED and its HDR image, your IPS and/or VA are history.
    I would rather take 1080p OLED display over 4K LCD any day.
    I use Apple Pro Display XDR (32" FALD 6K) for work. And I still prefer OLED.

I think your problem is to work and game on the same machine. After all, Alienware is "gaming division" of Dell.
    Does your company not provide you with dedicated PC/laptop for work?

Last edited: Apr 10, 2022
    tunejunky likes this.
  10. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    Imo it was stretching it when i moved from 27" 4k to 32" 4k, so i obviously disagree :p Regarding curve, that's a matter of taste :)

11. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    The pixel layout makes text and other desktop work less sharp. It's simply a fact. But the fact that you apparently can't see that, and at the same time focus so heavily on HDR, makes me think that you ought to visit an optician, so you can see more than just colors.

12. PowerK

PowerK Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 FE
    WTF are you on about? More you talk, less sense you make. This is just pure ignorance. It is not the "pixel layout". It's "subpixel rendering" by graphic driver and WDDM (in conjunction with ClearType) which is entirely different agenda. Lol.

Also, I find it hilarious you mentioned an optician as I am an ophthalmologist.

Kwok likes this.
  13. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    Right back at you - you really have no clue of what you are talking about. Watch the first video in this thread...

14. PowerK

PowerK Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 FE
    Right back at me what? Lol.
    I've watched those videos all right.

15. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    Then watch it again from 9.42 - still understand frack all, then repeat...

16. PowerK

PowerK Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 FE
    You don't even know what you're arguing on. Is English not first language to you? Do you find it difficult to communicate in plain English?
    Either way, what you've said in this thread shows nothing but ignorance.
    As previously said, it's not "pixel layout". It's "subpixel rendering" mismatch. You don't even know what they are.
    It's obvious you're just repeating what others say on internet without really understanding. Pure ignorance.

Kwok and tunejunky like this.
  17. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    You are arguing semantics. It's less sharp for text, and that's fact. But surely, if this is not the case, then you can provide proof for it. Oh you can't? Right...

18. PowerK

PowerK Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 FE
    Proof on what?
    Learn what "subpixel rendering" is and how it affects pictures on various displays with different "pixel layout". Then, you would stop talking such nonsense. This is embarassing.

Kwok and tunejunky like this.
  19. tunejunky

tunejunky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx/7900xt

don't listen to folks with zero experience.
    not only have i played with one (2 months ago) but i've installed one in the system i built for my next door neighbor (Intel engineer).
    spent way too long on Elden Ring @ his place.

i have a presale order in for the Samsung version (New G7, i have the old)
    this (Alienware) blew my socks off

Kwok, Undying and AuerX like this.
  20. aufkrawall2

aufkrawall2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT Hellhound
    There a various photographs by heise.de demonstrating the issue: Yes, it's super extra-bad. No need to kill the messengers just because there are fallen trees blocking the OLED monitor hype train.