Unreal Engine 5 revealed

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by XenthorX, May 13, 2020.

1. Mr_ALLroy

Mr_ALLroy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3
    Damn this looks good. Unfortunately, it crashes before it loads for me. :( The error is " GPU crashed or D3D Device removed". All drivers up to date etc etc etc.....

Update - I decided to shut down AF and RTSS and the demo runs. Seeing that others are able to use AF and RTSS tells me it's not those but a conflict with something else. But I got it to run, so I'm happy.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2022
  2. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    Close msi afterburner and rtss before starting the game - then start it after you are in the game.

3. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    When you already have tsr you dont need dlss.

4. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    I'd say that dlss is vastly better though tbh

GoldenTiger likes this.

5. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Its not what i've seen in Ghostwire. Very comparable.

6. TimmyP

TimmyP Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    Its 10-15 fps more performance in Ghostwire, and looks better. Comparable, but definitely better. I bet we would see 5-10 fps more in this with DLSS, at least.

GoldenTiger likes this.
  7. Mr_ALLroy

Mr_ALLroy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3
    Thanks for the tip. I actually found that if I enable custom direct3d support in RTSS, I can load the demo with AF and RTSS running.

8. Trunks0

Trunks0 Maha Guru

GPU:
    PC RedDevil 7900XTX
    I mean technically... You could. But you would have to learn UE5 enough to implement the plug-in.

9. Spets

Spets Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Change the dll to version 2.3.9, it's better than the packaged version.

10. TimmyP

TimmyP Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    I just meant when they built this version. Adding DLSS in UE5, from what I see on youtube and read about, is a fairly easy and straightforward process. You can see a ton of other developer videos, or 3d animator videos that show UE5 with DLSS, even this city but its just a small preview. The ones you can see all get a nice uplift from DLSS.

Trunks0 likes this.

11. Trunks0

Trunks0 Maha Guru

GPU:
    PC RedDevil 7900XTX
    I'm not surprised EPIC didn't already do it. This is a sample project for UE5 feature sets. Of which DLSS is not part of, it's a plug-in from a 3rd party. Further more this is designed for people who work with UE5. In which case, they are expected to be capable of implementing it if they wanted to check that out.

12. TimmyP

TimmyP Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    The plugin is available from nvidia...

I have no idea where you are getting your info. There are literally hundreds, maybe thousands of UE5 demo projects that have DLSS added to them now you can see on youtube. Again, you can even see this very same city using DLSS, but only in the engine developer preview window not a compiled project.
    You understand DLSS is using hardware AMD does not possess right?

13. Trunks0

Trunks0 Maha Guru

GPU:
    PC RedDevil 7900XTX
    ??? what? I'm just not surprised DLSS is not there by default. The point of the Sample is for EPIC to show off EPIC's own tech, not other people's tech.

And one of the techs it is designed to show off, is TSR. Which is Epic's own upscaler.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2022
  14. TimmyP

TimmyP Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    No. The point of the demo was to show new tech running on consoles. The project file was in the UE5 dev kit, and was compiled for PC.

You cannot seem to grasp the fact that tensor math accelration is absolutely unavoidable in the future. You cannot accept that there is only two series of cards from one vendor that has said hardware.

Again, all a pleb, like yourself, has to do is go look at some other thousands UE5 projects on youtube. DLSS replaces TSR and looks and performs better.

Hardware acceleration vs software... this is not hard.

15. PhazDelta

PhazDelta Master Guru

GPU:
    RX6900XT Strix LC
    this demo use Kraken compression . It is optimized for the PS5 with the default settings.

16. Trunks0

Trunks0 Maha Guru

GPU:
    PC RedDevil 7900XTX
    D

??? Irrelevant. The sample is for showcasing EPIC's tech. Read the webpage for the the sample for yourself.

https://unrealengine.com/marketplace/en-US/learn/city-sample

I'm not debating if DLSS is better or not. I'm just pointing out that EPIC released this sample project to showcase, or "demonstrates", their own tech. It's very listing is "Epic Games - Engine Feature Samples - Apr 5, 2022" and as quoted states it's a showcase example for EPIC's own tech in UE5. So DLSS not being there, makes sense. Same reason there is no FSR or XeSS or any other vendors tech in it. It's to show what UE5 can do, without adding anything.

17. TimmyP

TimmyP Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    Thats why I originally said I wish they (the random person(s)) built the demo with DLSS. This compiled pc demo was not compiled by Epic. Pretty sure DLSS can just be added basically with a checkbox now in UE5.

18. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
  19. Trunks0

Trunks0 Maha Guru

GPU:
    PC RedDevil 7900XTX
    OOoooo, yes. Apparently the DLSS plug-in for UE5 isn't ready yet. So that probably explains why we haven't seen a compiled version yet with DLSS. nVidia is working on it though! Implementing it other wise is probably more work than anyone is willing to go to when nVidia them selves are already working on it.

https://www.unrealengine.com/marketplace/en-US/product/nvidia-dlss/questions

So once nVidia gets it out, we'll see it for sure!

20. TimmyP

TimmyP Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    ^ Thats what Im confused about. Take this video for example:

This guy is showing DLSS in UE5 in mid 2021. Yesterday, I also saw another guy with this same city loaded in UE5 dev kit, while using DLSS. I cant find the link in my youtube history, but Im looking. It wasn't fullscreen, just the preview window.

Sorry Im not trying to argue. I was in this discussion that was getting a little heated on Youtube and it kinda bled over. Thats my fault.

Trunks0 likes this.