Diatec offers retro basic keycaps in gray and dark red.

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Apr 8, 2022.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Neo Cyrus and cryohellinc like this.
  2. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    Keyboard nerd content? I'm in love.

Moar, please.

Those keycaps look so ugly, love it.

3. Gomez Addams

Gomez Addams Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090
    I like it too but I don't like that key layout. If it had the big L-shaped return key I would be several of them.

cryohellinc likes this.
  4. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    Most likely the whole set will have a proper backspace.

Checked several stores on EU, and nobody has them. Perhaps you have better luck?

Last edited: Apr 8, 2022

5. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Just imagine such caps for every keyboard you can imagine, enabled to cope with backlit keys...
    Would be the finishing touch for an ugly build, like buying every fan / cooler with Noctua's color scheme, those key caps etc. :D

Noisiv and rl66 like this.
  6. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    For keyboard nerds, typing feel and sound is frequently more important than the looks.... ;)

P.S. I love Noctua's color scheme.

rl66 and reix2x like this.
  7. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Oh I don't disagree with you. Still, as my current keyboard, which was chosen because of the haptic feel of it's switches, would also make the backlight it has work, I would like that ;)
    I've been using their stuff before they came out with alternative colors as well. Besides, it makes their stuff easily recognisable, beyond their quality ofc.

8. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    I'd also like to see more keyboard nerd stuff as well. I've built a pretty much entirely custom keyboard after starting with a crappy GK61 (optical) kit. I replaced the:

- Gateron optical blue switches with Kailh optical dark blues (click bar like box navy).
    - Stabilizers with Everglide Panda gold plated stabs and greased them with 205 G0.
    - Horrible ABS keycaps with SA-ish style "doubleshot PBT" shine-through caps which turned out to be ABS so I replaced them again with a real doubleshot PBT pudding set from HyperX.
    - Zero foam it had with some random foam I found to make it sound less hollow.

I never intended to do any of that, but when I found out those Kailh clickbar switches I always wanted were now available in optical, I said screw it and built as close to my ideal keyboard as I could. Now if I could just find some real SA/other retro style doubleshot shine-through PBT keycaps, I can complete the dream build... or close, I'd like a Colemak DH set which is super rare to begin with.

But even as it is, I enjoy using it so much I don't think there's any pre-built keyboard any major company will release that will make me want to switch keyboards for the foreseeable future.

9. Dean_Demon

Dean_Demon Member

GPU:
    Titan RTX 24 GB
    These are awesome and remind me very much of the Acorn Archimedes that i used quite a lot in late 80's, good memories.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2022
    rl66 likes this.
  10. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    If you love noctua scheme and want a real keyboard, then the easy inexpensive way is to get a 2nd hand mecanical Compact keyboard (the company not the size :) it's a 102 key)
    aviable in PS2 for purist (like me lol) or in USB for the late one, and in MX black and get a chocolate keycap set.. ta daa: a beige and brown real keyboard.

fantaskarsef likes this.

11. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    I alway wanted to have one in it's time, but never put a hand on it.
    Such a piece of computer history, and such a waste to not have exploited it's advantage the right way.

12. AntiSnipe

AntiSnipe Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon RX 6600
    Nice but they cost $4 more than my entire mechanical keyboard, so gotta say no thanks.

13. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    You bought a mechanical keyboard for $28.50?

Roughly $30 is not an outrageous price for keycaps at all, at least for PBT. I bought these ones last year, and they were well worth it, because of how much better they make the typing feeling, and they're much more durable than ABS.

I guess what I'm saying is, consider a PBT set if you've never tried one before, I find them much more comfortable than stock ABS caps.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2022
  14. FookDat

FookDat Guest

GPU:
    6950XT RD 2889/2498
    But does it have an "Any" Key....

15. AntiSnipe

AntiSnipe Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon RX 6600
    Yep, and the price has dropped since then to $22. It does not have a proper "any key" but it's really not too shabby. Double shot, back lit key caps, maybe not the most quiet and well lubed, but metal back plate, firm build quality and I've been using it about 3 years now and still works like new. It even came with 5 extra replacement switches that I've not had to use yet. I bought three of them for the price of one shoddy built, sticky-keyed, Logitech membrane board, so 15 spare switches laying around.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2022

16. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    So, has anyone found where you can buy those in Europe?

17. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    I guess not yet. Even their homepage doesn't list the item yet... DIATEC CORPORATION
    One thing I found out, might be worth googling for Filco as well, they seem to sell keyboards with caps from Diatec as it seems.

And apparently, there's other keyboards with similar caps who do support RGB seethrough for the letters... very nice.
    Might buy new keycaps instead of cleaning the old ones already missing some of the coating. Coincidentally, the F key. Pressed for respect alot I tuess.