NVIDIA GeForce 512.15 WHQL driver download & Discussion

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Alberto_It, Mar 22, 2022.

1. SerjRozov

SerjRozov Member Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 1080 Xtreme
    You mean vrr on vsync off but what about fps limit? If fps above 90 its almost tear free anyway. Try limit it to 75 and see if you get tearing without vsync.

2. aufkrawall2

aufkrawall2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT Hellhound
    I did, no tearing (VRR range 48-144Hz).

3. dampflokfreund

dampflokfreund Master Guru

GPU:
    8600/8700M Series
    The previous driver introduced a pretty fatal bug on my RTX Turing laptop that was not fixed with this driver (although a pretty similar bug on Ampere laptops has been fixed). With my WQHD monitor attached in second screen mode, the system would randomly crash and reboot after a while while idle, but not in standby. Sometimes the monitor is able to resume, sometimes not, it's pretty occasional and cannot be reliably reproduced. @ManuelG I can provide you a minidump if you want, DM me please.

I reverted back to 511.23 and the issue appears to be gone.

4. Rogerbee

Rogerbee Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX2060 6gb
    Did you do a clean install of the driver? If there was a fatal error and you just installed the new driver straight over the top then there's a chance you could've made the error worse. There could have been a corruption in a cache that wasn't cleared. Doing a clean install empties caches and everything is fresh and should be error free.

5. XantaX

XantaX Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 TI 12G
    Wise, hopefully next driver works better for you and there is nothing wrong with the 511.23 driver Imo :)

6. dampflokfreund

dampflokfreund Master Guru

GPU:
    8600/8700M Series
    Yes I did clean install the new driver with DDU in safe mode. I even reinstalled Windows a couple of times.

7. Rogerbee

Rogerbee Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX2060 6gb
    Oh, not sure what could have happened then. I've not had a driver crash anything since I stopped using GFE and got all my drivers from this site.

8. SerjRozov

SerjRozov Member Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 1080 Xtreme
    Then i guess its a very good monitor. What kind of freesync version is it?

9. Smough

Smough Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660
    I mean, the whole idea behind G-Sync and Freesync is for you to forget about vsync, so you get no tearing and no vsync input delay or even stutter caused by it. But no idea if this also depends on the quality of the monitor or how you may configure it. But first time I saw VRR functions, I said to myself "great, no vsync, no tearing and you limit your fps to any number within the VRR window and this is what make sense to me. I've seen some guides that say need to turn vsync on and that it works "different" with VRRm but if you get no tearing with vsync off using this, then turning it off stop making sense to me.

10. aufkrawall2

aufkrawall2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT Hellhound
    It's certified FreeSync Premium and whitelisted Gsync compatible (Lenovo G27q-20), but no clue if there really are such differences in VRR behavior between devices.
    Anyway, really enjoying the Reflex fps limiter that kicks in with vsync + VRR in Fortnite at 138fps for 144Hz (I don't use 165Hz, Nvidia GPU power saving makes desktop stutter more with it with the 3060...).

11. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    Not completely true.
    Taken from Blurbusters.
    Also read here:
    G-SYNC 101: G-SYNC vs. V-SYNC OFF w/FPS Limit | Blur Busters

But you probably won't see this since your sensitive feelings have blocked me.

Astug, Passus and Ohmer like this.
  12. aufkrawall2

aufkrawall2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT Hellhound
    Yeah, did some more testing in Hitman 2/3: The issue is when you rapidly approach the fps limit, e.g. when suddenly looking at the skybox: Even with RTSS limit of 135 (no passive waiting) at 144Hz, there is still some chance for tearing to occur (which is for such a brief moment, it could also be mistaken as stutter). So general recommendation to force vsync on via driver (to prevent the app from doing any potential shenanigans with present modes) when playing games with VRR should be correct.

13. Benik3

Benik3 Master Guru

GPU:
    Aorus E. RTX2080Ti
    When you set VSync-ON in nvdriver, what do you set in game?

14. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    I have no tearing with gigabyte g34wqc vsync off and with freesync range of 40-144hz. Enabled gsync and fps capped at 140fps but it does have some stuttering. Maybe its the game and dx12u becouse Control is really smooth.

15. aufkrawall2

aufkrawall2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT Hellhound
    It doesn't matter anymore, the app has no more control over present modes then. You can just leave it unchanged there.

16. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    You normally would, gsync on its own isn't a tear control, some games are just shipping with flip mode configured to prevent tearing even without vsync.

Mineria likes this.
  17. Ohmer

Ohmer Active Member

GPU:
    MSI 1080Ti DUKE OC
    Dead right. Blurbusters is a fantastic resource. I've spent hours reading their material. Once I fully understood exactly what was going on, I turned Vsync on globally in the NVCP and never looked back.
    If a game has its own Vsync setting, I always leave that off just to ensure no weird shenanigans, even if it makes no obvious difference. Have never had a problem since.

edit: they really could have changed the name for "Vsync" with VRR. The baggage that word brings with it from the past is just too powerful to overcome, heh.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2022
    Astug, Smokey25, Mineria and 2 others like this.
  18. Passus

Passus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4070 Gaming X
    This is what i was referring to in my original comment on using vsync global with freesync

My screen is Asus TUF VG249 144hz 1ms IPS (range 48-144)

So thanks to @Ohmer and @Mineria for helping get the info out properly, I suck at that xD @Rogerbee Kudos to you too buddy

Mineria, Ohmer and XantaX like this.
  19. Rogerbee

Rogerbee Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX2060 6gb
    That's exactly what I do. The only time I do different is with 3DMark, that doesn't like it if you have vsync on, so I tell NVCP to turn it off in the program settings.

Ohmer and Passus like this.
  20. XantaX

XantaX Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 TI 12G
    hah You don't tell me nothing what i do, that decision is all mine.
    Gigabyte Monitor 1ms - 1920 x 1080 165hz with vSync on , never a problem.

Passus likes this.