FEATURE REQUEST: incremental frame counter overlay

Discussion in 'Rivatuner Statistics Server (RTSS) Forum' started by WAZAAAAA, Mar 13, 2022.

1. WAZAAAAA

WAZAAAAA Guest

GPU:
    Requesting RTSS to add a basic Framecounter to the OSD monitoring graphs that updates by 1 every game frame.

Some of the possible use cases could be: manually inspecting your recordings frame-by-frame to detect frame drops, calculating the duration of in-game actions with ease, or maybe even acting as an accurate timer for "speedruns".
    Such a function would benefit the most from being implemented into software that hooks into pretty much every game and graphic API, such as RTSS, MangoHud, Bandicam and the likes.

There's only 2 specific programs capable of achieving this already that I'm aware of:
    libTAS https://giant.gfycat.com/DeterminedEmotionalHuia.webm
    RenderDoc https://giant.gfycat.com/OptimalBronzeJackal.webm
    libTAS has little compatibility with anything and is Linux-only. RenderDoc is multi-platform but it doesn't really work on anything older than DX11. And both can get pretty clunky to work with.

RTSS already counts frames internally to an extent, so I assume it shouldn't be too much work to "expose" it for the user.

2. WAZAAAAA

WAZAAAAA Guest

GPU:
  3. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

RTSS already has 32-bit total frame counter for benchmark session since the very first version. It is autoincremented on each frame during benchmarking session and reset to 0 on restarting it (i.e. when you press "Start benchmark" hotkey).
    It is accessible via shared memory interface and stored into dwStatFrameCount field. You may use RTSS SDK to access this counter from your software or create your own client to display it into OSD. RTSSSharedMemorySample sample code demonstrates everything you need to implement it.
    I could add some special hypertext tag (e.g. <FC>) to natively display this frame counter via hypertext, but I cannot promise that it will happen soon. Currently I'm far from anything related to development. I live on RU/UA border, extremely close to Mariupol and things having place here leave no energy to code anything at the moment, sorry.

Kaminari, RzrTrek, mirh and 5 others like this.
  4. WAZAAAAA

WAZAAAAA Guest

GPU:
    well damn... stay safe
    I don't wanna jinx it but do you have a plan to release the source code of RTSS in case something bad happens to you? The project has had a huge impact and it would be a shame to see it abandoned

5. The1

The1 Member Guru

GPU:
    TUF 3080
    That is an absolutely unbelievable comment! :confused:
    You should have ended it with your "well damn,,, stay safe.", instead you continue with gimme, I utilize the software for MY entertainment after all!!!
    What a selfish comment!! :(

6. WAZAAAAA

WAZAAAAA Guest

GPU:
    ...selfish? That's what you got out of the post? lol
    I just pointed out the "bus problem"

Last edited: Mar 27, 2022
  7. The1

The1 Member Guru

GPU:
    TUF 3080
    Yes, only way to take the second half of that comment was "selfish".
    I am not sure where you presume to ask if Unwinder has process in place to continue his work? His business is just that, his!
    You once again come across as selfish and now also arrogant!
    You presume a problem, unbelievable!

Dan Longman likes this.